Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can't keep PD9 working. What am I doing wrong?
max0331 [Avatar]
Member Location: Iowa Joined: Dec 29, 2010 13:58 Messages: 52 Offline
[Post New]
I've gone as far as purchasing a new computer. Still, PD9 constantly freezes up on me with even the slightest use. Within minutes of starting a project or 5 to 10 mins into it, it freezes and crashes constantly. I've downloaded the fddshow codex pack, updated drivers, done everything I know how. I need some help.

Attached is my dxdiag file. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

-Max
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
33 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
297 time(s)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Max -

That's the 64-bit dxdiag, so Quicktime doesn't appear on it.

Run the 32-bit dxdiag & post that.

Have you downloaded & installed the latest version of QuickTime? http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think this may be the 32 bit. I didn't click the "run 64 bit dxdiag" button this time. I will check Quicktime in the mean time.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
271 time(s)
[Post New]
Max;
I wanted to add to this thread a little. There has been more than a few recent issues reported by XPS 8xxx machine owners, trying to use PD9 (at least 5 recent/current by my count).

I add this comment here for the Moderator, to draw attention to your machine Model. I hope this garners attention from Cyberlink for this machine...and so other XPS 8300 machine owners can monitor the progress and contribute any solutions they have found!!!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 26. 2011 20:53

max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Fred,

Thank you for that comment. This could be possibly why I had so many issues on my other computer (that I replaced due to this issue) which was an XPS... as well. It's very frustrating. I absolutly love PD9 but there are times when I simply won't stay running, constantly freezing up.

It seems as though the program is hanging up all the time. Like the computer can't keep up. This computer (and the last) have no lack of power to run the program, so maybe you are on to something here.

Out of frustration, I previously had moved my PD9 over to my wife's laptop, which is a toshiba, and surprisingly, her laptop has zero issues running PD9 other than the fact that her laptop is very underpowered, i.e. it takes 45 minutes to render a 4 minute clip. It edits fine (a bit slow though) and never freezes, but simply unusable due to the lenght it takes to render videos.

I do hope someone from Cyberlink can check into this. I'm sure it could be a simple fix via a patch or something specifically to whatever is causing the XPS models to have issues.

For experimentation, I downloaded the free trial of Vegas Studio and it ran flawlessly on my XPS. I don't want to use Vegas as I love PD9 and how easy it is to use so I will only consider that as a very last resort.

By your estimation of my DxDiag file, does everything look up to date to you?

Anyone else out there using a Dell XPS system that is having issues or that is working perfect?

I would love to get the attention of Cyberlink on this possible computer model problem (if in fact it is one) and see if there is some resolution to it.

Thanks for your input thus far!

-Max
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Max,
Please read:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18232.page
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18242.page

Up to date? No, see links to latest ATI.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 28. 2011 09:56

max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the links Dafydd. I've read through the first 4 and will try a few things that they suggest. Also, I'll update my ATI driver again. I do have an external hard drive hooked up, but this issue has occured well before I got it, however, I'll unplug that as well. I am determined to get this figured out. I'll report any improvements here if (and when) a solution is found.

-Max
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
USB HDD yep I use them BUT if you don't use a "ping" software they could go into a rest mode which PD cant wake them speedily enough - PD will hang/crash. I use a software called NoSleepHD v2.0 http://nosleephd.codeplex.com/ This is a free program. I set it to "ping" the USB drives every 2 minutes.

My thanks to PD forum member Bubba for this ping software info.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 28. 2011 11:15

max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So I have updated my video driver and unplugged my external hard drive. I opened PD9 and went to click on user preferences to make sure I had shadow files turned off and PD9 immediately crashes. I tried this several times and each time, the moment I clicked on user preferences it crashes. So I tried to load a project to see if that would work and the project loaded fine. I didn't try to edit anything yet though.

I am attaching my new dxdiag file. Please let me know if you have any ideas as to why it won't let me click on user preferences. Thanks!

-Max
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
259 time(s)
[Post New]
max0331;
Since I didn't see you mention it...Have you downloaded and installed the Powerdirector build 2930? Use the Download, Software Updates button at the top of this page. Then reboot and try again.
max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think I have Fred, but I'll double check.

Also, I just spend an hour and 1/2 finishing up a 51 minute video. PD9 only crashed on me once during that time which was nice, although there really wasn't much editing going on except for some "credits" I was adding on the end. Never touched any actual video.

So after this hour and 1/2 I was hoping that maybe the user preference issue has somehow worked itself out. Nope. I clicked and wham! Crash... I'll continue to look into it.

Update... Just checked my downloaded files and I did, in fact, download and install the most recent PD9 update.

This user preference crash has got me quite perplexed...
max0331 [Avatar]
[Post New]
UPDATE (again)

Just before I was going to finish for the night I decided to reinstall the newest update. Was figuring that maybe something didn't install right.

IT WORKED!!!

After I reinstalled it, I opened PD9 and clicked the user preference button again and it opened!! I'm very happy it worked!

So I've done a few of the suggestions and will give it the ol' college try again. I'll let you know if I'm still having any issues. Thanks to everyone for the great help! Now wish me luck!

-Max