Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Editing between tracks
Lucy Maloney [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2011 17:52 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I need to edit a wedding where I have 3 cameras rolling. I need to learn how to edit between the tracks. If I line up the clips on different tracks in time sequence then I could just clip and overwrite, But I can't view all the clips on different tracks to do this. So far I can only view a clip if it is in the first track. If I move it to were I can view it then it is no longer lined up in sync.

I am new to PowerDirector 9 and using it for a trial period. So far I like what I see of PowerDirector 9, but I don't want to buy it if I can't do the above editing.

Thanks,
Lucy
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
You need to disable all of the tracks above the one you want to work on. There is a little lock symbol at the left of each track. Click on it. If you want to view track 2, then track 3 and above must be disabled. Once you have you editing done, you can enable them to preview your movie. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lucy -

TonyFish (not me) was asking a similar question recently... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18126.page

Something in that thread might help you.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
TonyFish (not me)

I had to look twice at that thread. I thought you changed your name for a second. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lucy,

With a multi-camera edit, I find it’s helpful to create a multi-monitor setup within the Preview screen. (see attached image)

Place the clips in their respective tracks, and then resize them in the preview screen, so you can see all the tracks at the same time (like a video wall).
Edit your project, and once you’re done editing, resize the clips to full screen.

PowerDirector Tutorials are available here…
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7782.page#53055

And here…
http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/tutorial/

[Thumb - 3 camera editing p.png]
 Filename
3 camera editing p.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
183 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
223 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 20. 2011 20:51

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Lucy Maloney [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you both!

This isn't quite like other editors I have worked with, but I love some of the features. I think I can get through this wedding. I had read the manual, and practiced most of the tutorial, but your practical tips really helped with this 3 camera editing.

ScubaLucy
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
You might want to watch the tutorial on "Video Wall"

If you use PIP, you can have final cut on main track (blank or color board) initally and each of your camera views on the other three panels of the "wall". Each camera view on a separate video track. Once syncronized, then do copy desired sections to main track. That would let you see which view is best and what the "final cut" will look like.

There are setting to keep the cuts from moving on time line.

Might take a little while to set up, but will give you an "editing studio" feel.

The "wall" itself might be a good segment, say the vows from three angles with a zoom or two. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
Lucy Maloney [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow Cranston! That is exactly what I need. I have been scouring the manual as I haven't found the multi-monitor set up. I assume that I disable the Snap to Reference and then enable the Dual Preview???

I see only the corners of the frames and I am not sure how to see all three whole clips.

Thank you
Scubalucy
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lucy,

You don’t need to enable the dual preview, and yes, turning off the Snap Too feature helps so you can freehand the individual sizes.

Just highlight a clip in your time line (so it has the borderline around it- see link below), and grab a corner and drag it towards the middle to re-size and place it where you want.
Or you can open each clip in PIP Designer (via the Modify button), and do the same.

Once you have edited your clips, and have discarded the unwanted sequences, you can either drag the kept sequences to a single track, or leave them where they are.
(Note: You probably will want to have the Snap To “on” when re-sizing back to full screen.)

A low res quick demo is available here…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyQF9y5u6ak

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 21. 2011 22:52

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips