Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Deinterlacing 60i to 30p?
Scrovegni1305 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Frisco, TX Joined: Jul 18, 2011 18:21 Messages: 18 Offline
[Post New]
I have a bunch of 60i AVCHD that I'm trying to make 30p after I Produce in Power Director. There don't seem to be any deinterlacing options, am I missing something?

I tried using H.264 AVC and MPEG-4 when I produced, but the only option I can find is "Top Field First" or "Progressive". I've tried both and if those are in fact deinterlacing, then you can't tell in the video. Yadif is a much better option, but I guess I can't use it with Power Director.

Any tips or solutions? It's killing me that I've put so much time into editing these videos and getting the PDS files perfect, but now I can't find a way to Produce them to my liking.

Thanks.
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I don't believe there is an option to de-interlace, but using a progressive format should do the trick. You may have to disable fast video rendering. I have, on rare occasions, set the produce profile to a progressive format only to have PD skip encoding and leave it as interlaced. That's more of a problem when going to create disc than in produce, but it's something to watch for.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 18. 2011 22:27

[Post New]
Thanks Jaime. I really find that disappointing...maybe I'll just hold on to the PDS files until PowerDirector 10 comes out. Making the file claim to be progressive without actually LOOKING progressive isn't what I'm after. I tried it again doing like you said...took off the fast render options, set it to "Progressive" for the MP4, with the maximum bitrate. I see more interlacing artifacts in the final render than I do in the original files. Also, when I run these clips through programs with deinterlacing options, certain filters are BRILLIANT, like Yadif. It makes my video look like it was shot with full progressive frames. Is there no add-on or anything for PowerDirector that gives users a little control on the deinterlacing?
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Replied in wrong thread.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 20. 2011 00:42

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
vwestlife [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 19, 2011 11:19 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I'm on a 30 day trial of PowerDirector and I came here to ask the same question. The fact that it lets you specify which interlacing format (top field first, bottom field first, or progressive) a source video was recorded with implies that PowerDirector must have some kind of automatic de-interlacing. But is this true, and if so, then what kind of de-interlacing method does it use: i.e. single field, field blending, interpolated, or something more fancy like motion adaptive or motion compensated?

The quality (or lack thereof) of the rendered video I'm getting seems to suggest that it uses single field de-interlacing, which throws out half of the vertical resolution, resulting in jagged diagonal lines. I wish there was some way to tell it which de-interlacing method to use, as that will probably be my deciding factor on whether or not to purchase PowerDirector!
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
while i love PD9, I and many others agree the deinterlace leaves a lot to be desired. try running raw footage thru virtualdub (has good built in deinterlacer and many better add-in ones and it is free, just complicated to use). then import into PD9 for edits as progressive (i use Lagrith lossless for interim files, rather than re-encode to a lossy codec) RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
Scrovegni1305 [Avatar]
[Post New]
The poor deinterlacing is exactly why I have stopped using Power Director as well. The only way I'm coming back is if they fix it. I continually check to see if that will happen with Power Director 10. If not, I will probably close the door on Power Director forever (and I've been a loyal fan since PD7).