Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Using the multiple clips on the timeline
TonyFish [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 18, 2011 16:23 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]

Hello . . I am very new having just bought the product today . .

I have spent hours trying to do what I thought would be a very simple thing and watched a lot of videos, and did a lot of googleing .. . I still can't find a way to do this simple thing . . It is the only thing I wanted this software to do for me and I assumed it would (hence I purchased the full product).

If you can imagine that 4 people video 4 musician/band members at once while they play a song. The sound is mixed/recorded professionally . .

I have sequenced the 4 clips and the sound on the timeline so that they perfectly match up . .

The problem is that it only shows one video in the preview at a time and I can't work out how to swap between them ?!

For example I want to show the guitarist for 13 seconds then the singer for 48 seconds with 2 seconds of the drummer here and there.

The trim and multi trim is far too annoying/figity to achieve this . . I just want the 4 clips to lay on top of each other and flick between them selecting which one I want to see at which time ?!

This should be a very basic easy thing ?! Is there a way to do it !?

Best

Tony Fish
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TonyFish -

How could I not respond to someone with such a charming nick?

This post might help you. Another user was doing a similar thing http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/posts/list/3506.page

The first thing to understand is that the clip in the highest numbered track will ALWAYS be on top. The way to control that is to set its opacity level to 0% in PiP Designer.

If you're just getting your head around it, I'd suggest just working with two clips at first.

I'd forget about trimming. Just use SPLIT.

Once the clips are synced, you could either:
(a) Set keyframes in PiP Designer to switch (quickly) between 100% opacity & 0%
or
(b) Just split the clips at the spots where you're switching from one clip to the other - then remove the bits you don't want.

Cheers - Tony

... and NO, Barry - I am NOT talking to myself again!
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I wasn't even listening... HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
TonyFish [Avatar]
[Post New]
Awesome . . that will give me something new to try

I was just trying to split and group the bits I wanted to keep .. but removing anything made all the tracks move to the leftmost (even though they were grouped)

I was starting to go a bit cross eyed !

Thanks very much !

T Tony Fish
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Tony -

A couple of things will help keep everything in sync...

When you're removing bits from (say) Track 1, lock ALL the other tracks

or

Make sure you use the right click > Remove & leave gap option.

Either way, you want the othe track's clips to stay where you put them!

Cheers - Tony
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
I was just trying to split and group the bits I wanted to keep .. but removing anything made all the tracks move to the leftmost (even though they were grouped)

What I like to do in this case is to use a storage video track(or two).

You can split your videos and then drag the section you do/might not want to the extra track. Nothing moves.

And the plus to this procedure is that you can always just move the piece back and recombine if you want to make a change.

I also use the opacity/keyframe method that Tony mentioned.

If you need more explanation feel free to ask.

Hal
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
TonyFish [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wow - you guys rock !

I will definitely be able to do what I wanted much easier than it seemed !

Thanks again !

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 19. 2011 02:58

Tony Fish
MarcinB [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Poland Joined: Jun 15, 2011 14:23 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
this is my first post, so hello everyone

To delete a segment from a timeline without moving everything after it is simple. Just right-click on the segment you want to delete and there is an option like "Delete and leave the gap".

Cheers
Marcin
Lucy Maloney [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2011 17:52 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Dear ynotfish,

What you have suggested is helpful, but I think I am only half way there. I have 3 tracks placed in 2, 3 and 4. If I lock tracks 3 and 4 I should see track 2, correct? I still view track 4. Hmm.

Once I do find the clips I want, should I split, ensure the gap remains, then place the clip into track 1 were I can make my transitions from clip to clip.

I tried the opacity method also. I selected a track, pressed modify, selected the Add/Edit Motion for PIP effect, used the slide on the opacity to about 50, selected apply to all and then ok. I thought I would see both tracks simutaneously (as it did in the Master View inside the modify option), but that is not the case. I tried it with tracks locked and unlock and I still don't see it.

What could I be doing wrong?

Thanks for your help so far,
Lucy
ynotfish
[Post New]
Lucy -

It sounds to me as though you're doing a lot of things RIGHT!

In the other thread, Cranston (who's mentored me through a mountain of things) made an excellent suggestion... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/18154.page#93234

Following Cranston's idea would allow you to see what each clip is up to at any point.

In this example, there are two clips of the same event from different angles. Each clip has been temporarily resized so the action from both clips is viewable... that way they can be synchronised.

After that, an editor (that's YOU) decides which bits will be seen in the final mix & which won't. That can be done by:
(a) splitting and deleting
or
(b) setting opacity keyframes for each clip

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
Lucy -

The next steps in the process might look like this (using the split & remove method).

After the clips are synced, splits are made throughout each clip. Those marked with a X are destined for the bin.

Next, the rejected sections are removed

All clips are then resized to full screen

The attached file is the produced version of the last part of that sequence.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
2_Cam.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1579 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
346 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 21. 2011 02:33