Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD9 Video Freezes After (Cross) Transitions, Then Resumes
[Post New]
Greetings, all!

I just finished burning my first PD9 project, and I am having a problem with the video. A few seconds after a transition takes place, the video will freeze for a second or two, and then resume. This happens after every transition, and ONLY after a transition!

I suspect maybe I have insufficient memory, and my anti-virus was running in the background, I will try upping the memory and disabling the anti-virus, but has anyone else experience this problem?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

PowerDirector Ultra64 9.0.0.2702
 Filename
soldentDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag for Solomon Denton
 Filesize
36 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
335 time(s)
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Your guess is a good one. Your PC graphics may be a bit slow to display (display only during editing) the result. But the rendering (produce) should still produce a viewable video without the hiccups. Win 10, i7
[Post New]
Sorry, I see that this issue has been posted previously in the forum:

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/17975.page

I recently tried "producing" to a folder first, the produced file still freezes between transitions, but not as often...
I am defragging my hard drive(s) now, will try again and post results!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 12. 2011 07:09

[Post New]
Okay, finally read thru all 132 pages of this forum (shoulda done that first!)

Seems the transition freeze/stutter is a common problem!

I have saved another version of my project.

I will try the "Overlap" transition on the 2nd version and compare the results.

I will also try to turn "Hardware acceleration" ON and compare the results as well.

Thanks!
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Here is your problem more than anything, you need around 100 gig free space to properly use PD9..... I have a similar HP.. dv9000 and it is by no means a good machine to run PD9, PD8 or earlier no problem, but not PD9. But I also have two 180 gig hard drives in it. Mine REALLY likes Win7. I would get another 160 gig drive and replace your c drive with it. Like your E drive....

Oh... set your preview to the lowest setting to improve preview stutter, looks like crap but it will still render/produce ok..... your specs are a little better than my dv9000, and I had no problem running PD7 and 8, but I did not even try PD9 after the beta test. My desktop only...

Sorry that you still have Pissta... er Vista, I could not get rid of that trash fast enough.

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 6.9 GB

Total Space: 57.2 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: SAMSUNG HM060HI ATA Device

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Jul 12. 2011 18:32

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Thanks, Bubba! The HP Pavilion series looked great, but I am VERY disappointed with this (and all) HP products and will never buy HP again! The whole overheating video card fiasco (which my model JUST missed the cut for the lawsuit) really soured me on them!

Anyhoo, I updated my NVIDIA drivers to the latest version (275.33) last night, and "Created a Disc" (burned to folder), I checked the output file, and it seemed like the transition stutter went away...well, it was at least way less noticeable...it did hiccup/get garbled in a few places, but not nearly as bad as before, so there's hope! I am going to retry the project using the "Overlap Transitions" tonight and see if that irmproves the finished video even more.

I have PowerDirector 9 installed on my C: drive, and all my source footage and output files are on the E: drive...I was gonna get a bigger C: drive, too, but didn't wanna sink anymore money into what is soon to become a brick! Same reason why I haven't "maxed out" the RAM at 4GB!

I haven't played with Win7 yet, is it that much more improved than Vista? I was a big fan of XP, in fact, I have stripped most of Vista down to run/look like XP. What about Win7 does PD like that it doesn't like about Vista?

Thanks for the feedback!

(Oh yeah, still using build 2702, I'm a little leery of updating yet, maybe once I get this video finished I'll give it a go!)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2011 09:37

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Well I cant say that for my HP desktop..... it performs very well, and it is the first off the shelf computer I have ever had. (and the last) I could never have a laptop for my primary computer for many many reasons even though I have two of them. BUT I am 32 bit. I tried 64 bit in the Win7 beta and was very disappointed with it and still am. Hopefully Win8 will improve on it more and software will actually start utilizing it's capabilities. So far.... it all still falls flat.

Vista is the WORST OS ever made. You cannot compare Vista to Win7 other than crappy OS to great OS.

I keep everything off my C drive but when PD9 and all other software and your OS is running and caching page files and all the other hundreds of things it does, all takes place on your C drive. All versions of windows ever made starts stumbling when your C drive space get low.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jul 13. 2011 10:23

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Andres.R
Senior Member Location: Tartu, Estonia Joined: Dec 31, 2009 02:26 Messages: 263 Offline
[Post New]
Hi soldent99,
I had/have the same problem, but mine because of my "weak" PC. When I bought it 1,5 years ago, I thought its very good, but not good enough for PD9
Seems,one user has the same problem as we: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16396.page
My problem's resolution is to take videos with a little bit lower quality (or to buy a new PC)
BR Hiielind PowerDirector 17. Windows 10
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770 (8M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz); Hard Disk: SSD 250Gb + SSD 500GB.

My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AndresRootsi
[Post New]
Hieelind, thanks for that link!

Now if THAT user is having problems with THEIR system, then methinks the problem must lie in the software. My footage was shot on a SD JVC camcorder (that annoyingly outputs only in .MOV format, hence me using PD).

Like tkeeg stated, the "hiccup/stutter" has disappeared on the majority of transitions, but "weird stuff" still happens at certain transitions.

And, Bubba, I did some quick online comparisons of Vista vs. 7, might be upgrading soon!
Des Towers
Member Location: Rotorua New Zealand Joined: Mar 29, 2007 18:57 Messages: 149 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All
I have just about driven myself insane over the past 4 days trying to solve a similar problem.
I captured some very old amateur Video 8 footage off a Pal VHS tape. The footage was taken with a Pentax Video 8 camera purchased in 1989. As you can imagine the quality of the video was appalling.
As a consequence, when editing, I applied both Video Enhancement and Video Denoise.
Everything looked great when previewing the project/movie in the timeline.
The problem manifested when I attempted to Render and Burn the project to disc. When playing the disc back there were instances where the Video froze but the audio carried on. Several more burns showed that these glitches were random appearing at different locations on the disc each time.

I have no transitions in the project

Rendering to file produced the same result.
I then commenced a process of elimination using many configurations.
This problem happened in both builds 2702 & 2930.
I updated my video driver. no improvement!
My final adjustment was to take out the Video Denoise component.
Eureka...Success.
I can only conclude that it is a rendering problem. The software has difficulty coping with these type of adjustments i.e.there is a bug.

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600)
VM Windows Professional XP
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM DDR3
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Chip type: ATI display adapter 0x68B8
Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E
1TG Hardrive

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
297 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 13. 2011 21:20

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I used to have a similar problem with onboard graphics using fade transitions. The video would hesitate at the end of the fade back in. After buying an HD camera I also upgraded to an add-on graphics card and have not seen the problem since. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
[Post New]
I'm happy to report I was able to output a successful project!

This may help others...

I PRODUCED my FINISHED product INSTEAD of CREATING A DISK...I produced the file as an mpeg-2, then burned it as a "DVD" using Toast on my Mac (I don't have burning software on my PC), and the finished product was free of hiccups, stutters, garbled images, etc.

So give producing your project and burning separately a try!