Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PAL clips say NTSC!
bertie11 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 02, 2011 07:16 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using the trial version of PD9 De Luxe v 9.0.0.2701. If I record a few short video clips on my PanasonicLumix TZ10 then import the clips into Power Director a message comes up 'The clips you dragged to the workspace contain one or more video clips with a NTSC format'. It offers to convert the clips with some loss of quality.

I'm reasonably sure that the camera is set to PAL in the Video Out setop options. What am I doing wrong please?
Thank you.
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
It is likely the clips are 29.97 or 30 fps and hence you should use "NTSC" settings for editing (and output).

Just because you set PAL out put on the camera does not change the file type it records at. Kit merely outputs a colour & framerate signal compatible with PAL system. Most modern PAL TVs happily accept NTSC Signal.

Anyway best way to see is to right click the clips and select properties and itnwill tell you the frame rate of the clips. Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi bertie,
Please attach a 5 to 10 second sample of video from the camera - unedited. Members can then give you assistance - by testing the footage.

Select Post Reply - or click the link here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/reply/0/17943.page
and attach a file.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Darn, I was hoping for a sample clip
bertie11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is the video clip, properties say 30fps which I take it is NTSC?
I bought the camera in the UK and I assumed (!) that it would be a PAL format, or at least selectable.

Thanks for assistance!

Windows7 HP 64 bit
HP Pavilion DV6-2113SA
4GB RAM
 Filename
P1000044.MOV
[Disk]
 Description
Shot with Lumix TZ10
 Filesize
55180 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
329 time(s)
bertie11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Making progress I think. Although I still cannot see how I can change the camera settings to PAL from NTSC (I'm waiting to hear from Panasonic) I followed advice here and discovered that Power Director will, after importing NTSC clips, allow me to convert the edited output to PAL which will give me what I wanted.
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Making progress I think. Although I still cannot see how I can change the camera settings to PAL from NTSC (I'm waiting to hear from Panasonic) I followed advice here and discovered that Power Director will, after importing NTSC clips, allow me to convert the edited output to PAL which will give me what I wanted.

My I ask what your final format/ use is going to be? DVD? UTube? PC?

The reason being is that it would be much better NOT to change the frame rate. You will notice judder and this can be quite distracting especially on panning. As mentioned above, virtually all recent equipment in PAL countries quite happily play NTSC media. Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
[Post New]
In my opinion it is a big misunderstanding if we talk about PAL or NTSC in relation to the HD material.
PAL and NTSC are SD signal systems of colour.
PAL specification says nothing about framerateor resolution as many people think !
What I said, this is only specification of colour coding.
Some say that PAL always must be 25 frames per second, but in Brazil they have 29,97 Hz.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 05. 2011 17:19

bertie11 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I realise now that I omitted some crucial information.

When my recorded clips showed as NTSC when I assumed they would be PAL, I had the Lumix camera set to record MPEG2 clips which I had thought was a PAL function.

Then, when I said I had seen that PD would convert the file to PAL I had been recording the clips using AVCHD Lite on the camera which shows as 50fps.

Because my Sony DVD recorder won't play AVCHD I then needed to burn to a DVD-Video disk for the Sony to play it.

Apologies for omissions, newbie you see!
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Bertie,
Was the clip of the south east coast ...

I haven't done much with the clip.
1. It's a 720p 30fps and has a high overall bitrate of 32.3Mbps (very good resolution).
2. The .mov file loaded into PD9 Ultra without a problem and into the Tracks.
3. I examined the properties of the video using MediaInfo and have included the information below.
4. I would not be too concerned about the frame rate for DVD production and would try to maintain it as 30fps in PD9 during editing. Alter your PD9 preference settings to achieve that, and when selecting in Produce.
5. Because you have a camera which produces 720p, you should look to maintain the resolution for screening on your home TV and in disc production. get yourself a player which can handle AVCHD discs, maybe

General
Complete name : J:\Video Cameras\Panasonic Lumix TZ10\P1000044.MOV
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : QuickTime
Codec ID : qt
File size : 53.9 MiB
Duration : 14s 0ms
Overall bit rate : 32.3 Mbps
Encoded date : UTC 2011-07-03 10:53:12
Tagged date : UTC 2011-07-03 10:53:12
Writing library : pana

Video
ID : 1
Format : M-JPEG
Codec ID : jpeg
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 30.6 Mbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16/9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 1.108
Stream size : 51.1 MiB (95%)

Audio
ID : 2
Format : PCM
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Format settings, Sign : Signed
Codec ID : twos
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 512 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 16.0 KHz
Resolution : 16 bits
Stream size : 875 KiB (2%)

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 06. 2011 04:26

heinzb58 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2009 08:42 Messages: 25 Offline
[Post New]
from Wikipedia

The vertical timings are:

Parameter Value
Vertical lines 313 (625 total)
Vertical lines visible 288 (576 total)
Vertical sync polarity Negative (burst)
Vertical frequency 50 Hz Sync pulse length (F) 0.576 ms (burst)[6]
Active video (H) 18.4 ms

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL
Greetings from Switzerland
Heinz
[Post New]
Wikipedia is not the best source of knowledge
What do you say about TV system in Brazil: is it PAL or not ?
Saying again: PAL is the method COLOUR CODING nothing more
heinzb58 [Avatar]
[Post New]
But there are a lot of information see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL-M Greetings from Switzerland
Heinz
[Post New]
As you can see your previous mail was not too precise.

Vertical frequency 50 Hz Sync pulse length (F) 0.576 ms (burst)[6]

is not always true

What is important from my point of view, I wrote earlier: PAL and NTSC have not any meaning as for HD signal
heinzb58 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Why, its not too precise, in Europa is PAL = 50Hz, because our PowerLine frequency is 50Hz and in Brasil is Pal-M = 60Hz, because the powerline frequency is 60Hz. Greetings from Switzerland
Heinz
[Post New]
Let read again my mail:

... is not ALWAYS true.

Because, you didn't point, that you were writing about EUROPEAN PAL, your answer was not too precise.
If you are feeling a little bit offended, I would like to apologize.
I think, that we left a main thread, so propose to finish it (as for PAL in HD cameras )
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry to curtail an interesting PAL/NTSC exchange. Please start a new topic, thanks.