Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rendering ("Create a File") takes WAY too long
kvon5784 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: OhiO Joined: Oct 13, 2010 07:23 Messages: 19 Offline
[Post New]
I suspect that I've got a case of an underpowered system here, but would appreciate insight from someone knowledgeable to identify the specifics:

My project is a video capture file, 1280x720 resolution, that I'm trying to render to a standard resolution DVD. 2 hrs worth of capture footage, and it's taking about 3hr 40min to render. I do the rendering and burning separately, so this is just the rendering. (The burning takes about 5 min).

Poking around the Win7 performance monitoring tools, found an entry in an event log that said video resources were being over-tasked, and that "thrashing was occurring". Can't say for sure, but this event probably occurred when PD was rendering.

System description below - hoping that something obvious will jump out. Alternatively, would really appreciate some help with how to track down the hardware bottleneck - if that's what it is. (CPU? System RAM? Video RAM? etc?)

Saw another user / another thread mention that PD was only finding one of 2 CPU cores... That sure sounds like something that would be worthwhile verifying on my system, but I have no idea where to find it :

Here's my system:
ASUS E35M1-M Pro motherboard, AMD Fusion APU E-350 Dual-Core, 1.6GHz
Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 6310 GPU, "maximum shared memory of 1024 MB"
Win7 64 bit
PD 9 Ultra 64, build 2930
4GB system RAM
1TB hard drive (plenty of space available)

DxDiag attached...

Many thanks in advance!
 Filename
DxDiag.txt.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag.txt
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
526 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I'd say your system is functioning correctly. It's underpowered on GPU, CPU and RAM. You need to get a more powerful computer.

There isn't a lot to add, except start the render process and then go to bed . Don't edit anything greater than 720p or your system will really flop.

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
My Dm1 has the same APU Fusion setup inside, except I have 6G ram.. It's very useful to make slideshows and videos under 20 minutes, test functions, and upload effects to Dzone. I would not even attempt a 2 hour video. Your editing response time at that point must be torture. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
kvon5784 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the info guys...

Wondering now if I can get what I need with an incremental upgrade -- this machine isn't my main video editing machine, it's a media center and just needs to function as a DVD/BD recorder. i.e., won't be doing any serious editing tasks with it, so the "start the rendering and go to bed" might work. However -- after I posted, I tried to render a BD file (1280x720 capture file, and output resolution), and the rendering started off the same way ('slowly') - then froze completely. Had to force PD to shut down. (didn't freeze the whole system). Have only tried this once, don't know yet if it will repeat. So, 3+ hrs to render a video I can live with - but no BD rendering is a show-stopper.

Would maxing out the RAM give me any relief? since it's an integrated GPU, I think (?) I could add a graphics card and override the integrated graphics, but if I'm going to do that, might as well just swap out the whole motherboard. Not thrilled to do that...

thanks again!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 17. 2011 08:54

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Your machine is a desktop, mine a laptop, so my input of comparison is no longer really applicable.
More RAM will not be enough oooomph, of that I am sure. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
If your machine is a desktop and you have a PCIe slot available I would dump the on board video card you have now and get a better one. (even if it is built in the motherboard it can be disabled in BIOS and a standard video card can be used in the PCIe slot) In computers past, I have always not used the on board video. I have used the old AGP and PCI slots as well as the more recent PCIe slots.

Your shared memory may well be over 1gig but your actual dedicated usable memory is probably only 238 meg. Without a Dxdiag we wont know for sure.

Those shared memory on board video cards and PD9 is not a good mix until someone fixes the problem of none of the shared memory is kicking in when needed. A known issue.

More RAM would help. Like up it to 6 gig as Barry suggested.

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Actually, and I mean no disrespect to my fellow forum friend, Bubba, I was trying to indicate more RAM would not be enough to help. Even more-so with a 2 hour project.
I imagine my DM1 will burn Blue-ray, but any type of "raw" 2 hour project is simply not workable with this APU.
You CAN try making your 2 hour project in chunks, then combining the renders to burn the Blue-ray. It would be less stressful, but may work.
However, in the end, if you wish to pursue such lengthy projects, you should invest in better equipment. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
kvon5784 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If your machine is a desktop and you have a PCIe slot available I would dump the on board video card you have now and get a better one. (even if it is built in the motherboard it can be disabled in BIOS and a standard video card can be used in the PCIe slot) In computers past, I have always not used the on board video. I have used the old AGP and PCI slots as well as the more recent PCIe slots.

Your shared memory may well be over 1gig but your actual dedicated usable memory is probably only 238 meg. Without a Dxdiag we wont know for sure.

Those shared memory on board video cards and PD9 is not a good mix until someone fixes the problem of none of the shared memory is kicking in when needed. A known issue.

More RAM would help. Like up it to 6 gig as Barry suggested.

Thanks for the feedback Bubba... I'm wondering, since the main thing I'm looking to do with this machine is rendering video captures to DVD/BD, and not so much video editing, how heavily does that rely on the GPU as opposed to the CPU? Seems like when a project is being rendered, all the action is going on behind the scenes (CPU), and the only live graphics is the progress bar creeping across the screen (oh-so-slowly : Adding a video card is a way more attractive option than replacing the motherboard, but I'd like to be sure it will help before I spend the money.

Also, DxDiag posted above, here's the memory numbers from it:
Display Memory: 1961 MB
Dedicated Memory: 371 MB
Shared Memory: 1590 MB

Thanks!!

Simeon11
Newbie Location: Finland,East Joined: Jan 21, 2011 16:18 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi!
Let me tell about one test.
I had Amd Athlon X2 6000 CPU.
I produced from 720p material H.264 AVC video, length 2,46min. Producing, what you call rendering, took 8,24min.
Then, I replaced that CPU with AMD Phenom X6 1055T. Now producing took 3,10min.
Nothing else did I change. I still have Windows XP and 2GB RAM.

Experts tell you to have faster CPU. I still don't know what a faster GPU has to do with rendering. But, because some forum members are telling that faster GPU makes PowerDirector work more steady, I will replace my GPU in the near future. Amd X6 1055T CPU
Radeon HD 5670 GPU
Windows XP
2GB RAM
[Post New]
Meu projeto é um arquivo de captura de vídeo, resolução 1280x720, que eu estou tentando render a uma resolução padrão DVD.2 hrs

Will terminate on DVD-video but this default quick and render.
Rendering in HD 1 can get better but not enough to keep you surprised on DVD ready.
Also do not believe that much RAM will solve this, here monitoring PC never went from 2 GB in use during rendering. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
tasha123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 24, 2011 08:15 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
i'm having the same problem, a short 2 min clip with no audio, video or photo take s 3hrs to render, it probably taken longer if i didn't stop it. My computer has a 4gb ram and its up to date windows 7 and very new. why it taking a long time to render and how can i overcome this?

Please Help!!
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Tasha: Please forgive me my stupidity, but what is your project composed of if it has no audio, video, or photos?

A dxdiag of your machine and a screenshot of your project timeline might help the real pros here give you some help.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
tasha123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
i would but no time line as been given, the clip only have text. it state it is rendering but doesn't do anything
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Tasha: I am really confused as to what you are trying to produce. You say it is a 2-minute "clip" that only has "text." What kind of text? There has to be something on the PD9 timeline for it to produce: an image, a video, audio, particles, something.

We'd all love to help you out, but you are going to have to provide some more detailed information as to exactly what it is you are tying to do, and what kind of "text" you are placing, or not placing, in the PD9 timeline.

If you can help us with more information and details, we will try and help you.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
tasha123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Its a normal text that i inserted on the timeline, just text nothing else. i can't give you no errors, because no errors appear. it will state that it is rendering but it takes 3hrs maybe longer if i didn't stop it. it look like it stop working and the only way to go back to edit or do anything is to hit ctrl, alt and delete.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi tasha123
Please provide a screenshot of your edit workspace (the tracks, library and preview player).

An image shows up more.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page Part E & F

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 28. 2011 04:49

[Post New]
Tries to redo your project, it is likely that some of text this giving error on render,
A way to not lose much time, save each text as new templante text
create new project and add the text that created templantes. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate