Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
[solved] Playing Blu-ray videos from hard drive
RCRAIG [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 23, 2011 14:21 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Before I upgrade to PowerDVD 11 Ultra from PowerDVD 10 Ultra, I have a question that someone might be able to answer.

After burning one of my regular DVDs to the hard drive with Slysoft AnyDVD HD to remove the copy protection, I can then open PowerDVD 10 Ultra, go to the "Video" tab, left click once on the movie I just burned to highlight it, click on the Play button, and it starts to play just like there was a movie in the DVD drive of the computer.

However, when I burn one of my purchased blu-ray movies to my hard drive using "Blue Cloner" software in conjunction with the same AnyDVD HD program, then try to play it using PowerDVD 10 Ultra, it will not play.

My question is, if I upgrade to PowerDVD 11 Ultra, will I then be able to play blu-ray movies from the hard drive after copying the DVD?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 07. 2011 07:12

CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
PowerDVD 11 is able to playback not copy protected BD structure from HDD

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
RCRAIG [Avatar]
[Post New]
If you had actually read the message, you would know that I clearly was not talking about copying a protected DVD from PowerDVD, but merely playing it back after it was copied to the hard drive using other software that removes the copy protection.
CraigNZ [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 23, 2011 19:29 Messages: 27 Offline
[Post New]
I can confirm that PDVD11 plays both DVD's and Bluray movies from HDD. For Bluray movies I first backup my Bluray movie to HDD using AnyDVD and creating an ISO image of the disc on the HDD. Then when I want to watch to movie I 'mount' the movie using Clone DVD from Slysoft and then run PVD11. I click the movie tab and select the virtual drive which has the movie and away it goes. The only problem I ran into initially was getting the region code to match. Some of my movies have discs encoded as Region A and others as Region B. The solution I found was when backup up a Bluray movie to the HDD I needed to tell AnyDVD on some discs which Region the movie was, e.g., Region B. AnyDVD then removed the region code and then when you later mount it using Clone drive you indicate that the backup version is Region free. Works correctly every time. I guess the problem initially was sometimes AnyDVD incorrectly guessed the Region code. By telling it the region you eliminate the possible error later.

Using this method means I don't have to mount my physical Bluray discs, but simply mount it from a list on the HDD. This is much more convenient and also means I don't damage my physical disc by inserting it all the time. The physical discs remain scratch free. Especially if you have kids that want to watch a popular movie a lot of times.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: If you had actually read the message, you would know that I clearly was not talking about copying a protected DVD from PowerDVD, but merely playing it back after it was copied to the hard drive using other software that removes the copy protection.

Hi,
I also did not talk about copying - I just wanted to make clear that PowerDVD can playback BD and DVD structure from HDD if the structure is not copy protected. As you may know there are tools that can "backup" a BD and DVD without removing the copy protection - because of CSS and AACS regulations such content is not allowed to be play back from HDD source

Br
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 31. 2011 03:34

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
RCRAIG [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks much, Michael and Craig! I think I can get this figured out now.