Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
About Extended Download Service and opininion on my computer?
Polarbeer [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 28, 2011 09:02 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm about to buy PowerDirector 9 Ultra 64 to edit AVCHD videos from Panasonic GH2. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

QUESTION 1
Just wondering if Extended Download Service (EDS) is really worth buying? I didn't notice it until almost making my final order online in Cyberlink's Store...

I do several backups from my valuable files periodically. So I thought I would make copies from the downloaded PowerDirector 9 files also - not needing EDS. So is EDS only for those, who for some reason happen to delete their downloaded installation files and want to do reinstallation after that?

Am I missing something or what?

QUESTION 2
As a noob video editor I would like to know what do you think about my system for efficient AVCHD-editing? Althought I have made some simple tests with the trial version, I don't have the expertise to really know how well my system will behave in bigger projects.

I have attached two DxDiag tests that where recommended for hardware related issues.

My system has currently a single Samsung 1 TB F3 harddisk, which has two partitions C: (175 GB total / 117 GB free) and D: (755 GB total / 527 GB free). All my programs (including PD9 trial) are installed on C-partition and all user files (ie. video and photo files from my camera) are located on D-partition.

(The Intel i7-920@2.67 GHz processor is those first i7-processors.)

Are there any clear "bottle necks" in my system? Any thoughts how to make sure I get most from my current system?

Thanks for your time!

-pb

Filename
Polarbeer_DxDiag_32bit.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
269 time(s)
 Filename
Polarbeer_DxDiag_64bit.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
279 time(s)
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I would not get the EDS. Just buy it and get it downloaded and SAVE it in a trusted place. Or burn it to disc.

Only problem I see is the size of your C drive. You will render files that are larger than you can imagine at times and PD uses your C drive for all of it's background functions. I would keep at least 100 - 120 gig free. For everything..... As you have been using other editing software, you know that video editing and rendering is the most CPU/and related hardware stressful thing it will ever do. Gaming does not come close. (even so called super gaming)...

Whats with the 32 bit Dxdiag? If you have 64 bit going you can only do 64 bit PD9. (actually not true, some have made it run 32 bit on 64 bit machines, but it is not a simple process)

Download the trial and try it first.... even though it has limitations and does not have "everything". you will find that your other editing software cannot do half the stuff PD9 can do. I had it years ago and trashed it when I went to PD.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 28. 2011 11:45

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Polarbeer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I would not get the EDS. Just buy it and get it downloaded and SAVE it in a trusted place. Or burn it to disc.

Okay, this is what I thought also.

Quote: Only problem I see is the size of your C drive. You will render files that are larger than you can imagine at times and PD uses your C drive for all of it's background functions. I would keep at least 100 - 120 gig free. For everything..... As you have been using other editing software, you know that video editing and rendering is the most CPU/and related hardware stressful thing it will ever do. Gaming does not come close. (even so called super gaming)...

Could I install PowerDirector on D-partition which has more room? Or is it best to let it install on C-drive? It would be nice if PD could be told to use other than install partition for its all "temporary files".

Quote: Whats with the 32 bit Dxdiag? If you have 64 bit going you can only do 64 bit PD9. (actually not true, some have made it run 32 bit on 64 bit machines, but it is not a simple process)

In a starting topic of this PD9 forum all users of 64 bit systems were told to post both 32 and 64 bit versions of DxDiag-file. If I remember right, 32 bit file didn't show some vital info about Quicktime.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Quote: Download the trial and try it first.... even though it has limitations and does not have "everything". you will find that your other editing software cannot do half the stuff PD9 can do. I had it years ago and trashed it when I went to PD.

Thanks for your help. I have hardly used other editing software, but after some investigation on alternatives I find that I really like PD9's user interface. I probably will have times when I'm not doing video editing at all, so it is very nice to have a software that doesn't have a long learning curve.

I wish people at Cyberlink would still make help texts relating to shadow files and other performance related issues more thorough so you wouldn't have to seek this info from user forum. Nevertheless PD9 trial seems already very promising and people here at forum very helpful! Thanks once again!

-pb

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 28. 2011 13:12

Polarbeer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

Well I bought PD9 without EDS and got it installed on drive C. If someone has knowledge about installing it on other partitions in Win7 64 bit, I would appreciate your experience on this. Or using extra harddisk to install PD9 on that. What kind of performance difference you can expect? Not to mention using RAID or solid state disks (SSDs)...

Happy editing all!

-pb

Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
Install PD9 on C:

but

In the setting, make all the export and temp folders etc on the partition with more room.

I also use an external HD for my EDS and for backups.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 29. 2011 07:55

Polarbeer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Install PD9 on C:

but

In the setting, make all the export and temp folders etc on the partition with more room.

I also use an external HD for my EDS and for backups.

Hi Dave!

In PD9-->Preferences-->File tab: I can see only setting for default Import and Export folders.
In PD9-->Preferences-->File tab: You set the folder location where to store project backup files. If I have understood this right, project files aren't usually huge like original AVCHD video files for example. Project files only store links to original source files - not the actual source file - if I've got it right?
In PD9-->Preferences-->General tab: You can manually delete temporary files and set a day limit after which temporary files should be deleted automatically by PD.

So so far I haven't found a setting where I could tell PD to store all necessary temporary files on a user chosen location (on drive D in my case). Can this be set somehow or does any of the settings above effect also temporary file location?

I would like CyberLink's manual/settings to be more thorough on these performance related issues.

Thanks for you time!

-pb

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 29. 2011 08:40

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
You cannot tell it to "run" itself on another drive other than "C". It does all it page files, caching, and everything else on "C", like almost all other software. Even when you tellit to store everything on "D" like I do, it still does everything on the C drive.

Just watch your C drive and manage it. Your PD user performance is better when you keep everything on your C drive. But like others, I keep all data generated from all software off my C drive. I have about 800 gig or so free on all my drives (5) and a USB hot swappable SATA docking station I use for my smaller drives. (600 gig or less)

I would like CyberLink's manual/settings to be more thorough on these performance related issues.

Wouldn't we all...... along with 100% of all our other software. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Polarbeer;
The entire installation of PD9 64bit only takes a little over 1.2 GIG of space in the drive. Setting your folders to store/export/import from another drive is a good solution. Large media files can be ANYWHERE (DISCLAIMER - NOT on slow external USB, SDcard or "sleepy" drives, please).

There have been some reports of "issues" with the 2xx versions of the Nvidia cards, but I expect MOST of this will be resolved in a (hopefully forthcoming) patch from CL and application of the (also soon forthcoming) new release of Nvidia drivers.

ALWAYS have 20% drive space free on C: drive. Allow 4 times the space of the files contained in your production for smooth operation. Less than that will result in memory caching, but it IS manageable as long as 20% is free. This has LONG been discussed by Microsoft users and there are many discussions out there (Google, MS TechNet, etc.). Temporary files (like the pagefile) in Windows always use the C:drive as primary.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at May 29. 2011 14:17

Polarbeer [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Bubba and FredB for your kind input!

-pb

Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
I have actually disabled my windows swap-page file. I let my RAM take over and I have not had an issue at all with running out of memory.

Another option is to make your swap-page file max and min the same size so its not expanding and shrinking.
Polarbeer [Avatar]
[Post New]
These performance related hints and tips would make a great and useful first page "fixed" topic. Just a thought for some moderator...

-pb