Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Issue with new PC and burning DVD
Ripsnort60 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 25, 2010 11:45 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I did a search on Error code E80004004 and found nothing?

PC Specs:
XPS 8300 Intel Core i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4x2GB
ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 Video card
16x DVDRW Drive

Tried a simple test after loading PD and updates:
Added 25 photos
Burn to disc

It processes then pops up the error when apparently it is trying to write to DVD disc (which is in drive)

ANy clue?
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
I believe you disable 'Shadow files in preferences' I have the same computer i7-2600 with 560ti gforce card.
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 11. 2011 20:55

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
Ripsnort60 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the reply.

I tried disabling that setting, no go. Still error codes.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
I googled the error code and one of the links provided:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/get-error-80004004-when-trying-to-burn-dvd-in/dad11db7-5a70-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

A diagnostic file of your new computer and a screenshot will help members to guide you. New computers don't come with new drivers!

Lowering the speed of the write process has been known to help.

General posting guide information: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page

Hwyl
Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 12. 2011 04:47

Ripsnort60 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd, thanks much for the reply.
I'll assume you mean the DVD regarding drivers? I have updated Win 7 once out of the box.

I was successful burning a DVD via the Roxio software, when I took PD out of the loop, but naturally that doesn't fix my situation.

I will look into updating DVD drivers tonight when I get home.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
No, I wasn't just referring to DVD drivers.

If you alternate between possibly conflicting software to carry out tasks you're more likely to have problems. Technical Support will direct you to stop using one, reinstall etc. Members will give you similar suggestions.

Hwyl
Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 12. 2011 10:31

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
If you updated Win 7 out of the box then you are still not up to date on your drivers. Windows update does not help much...

Please provide a Dxdiag of you machine so we (and you) can actually see your "as configured" specs. Please follow the guide below.

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Ripsnort60 [Avatar]
[Post New]
This should be pretty self explanatory. Everything is system default minus shadowing.
Works fine on my Dell Inspiron E1705. See bottom of post for screen shot attachments.
Also uninstalled and reinstalled PD 9

PD9 details:
PowerDirector Ultra 64
V9.0.0.2702

[Thumb - Project2.jpg]
 Filename
Project2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
103 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
257 time(s)
[Thumb - Project1.jpg]
 Filename
Project1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
64 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
248 time(s)
 Filename
Nelson_DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
343 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 12. 2011 23:48

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ripsnort -

"Driver Version: 8.792.0.0 - Driver Date/Size: 11/10/2010" I'd go to the AMD site and update the GPU driver... http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

Having said that, I doubt whether it's related to your error message & aborted burns from PD.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Ripsnort60 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Tony! Done!
Ripsnort60 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Still no joy. Customer service has had me try several things and still failing on burning a DVD. It turns out others I've met out 'on the web' have these same issues, no resolution. Ironically, they all have high end machines too.

I'm cashing my chips in and moving on to another product.

Thanks to those who tried to help.

Regards,
Ripsnort aka Brian
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Brian: Sorry to hear that you are still having problems. I too encountered the dreaded "E-series" burn errors. In my case, both times, the problem was related to the burn speed being too fast: 8x instead of 4x. In the final menu before the actual authoring and burn begins, there is a tool icon near the top right of the pop-up box. Select the speed control and drop your speed. That might solve your problem - it did for me, almost.

The other thing I noted is that, in my case, the authoring process (no actual burn had begun) seemed to "mark" the DVD such that PD9 did not recognize it as being a virgin DVD, when it got finished authoring. There was no visible sign that the DVD had been burned by PD9, but it wouldn't "take." A new DVD right out of the package solved that problem.

Another option is to burn your project to folder, and then use an alternate burning product, like Power2Go or any of the many others, to actually burn your project to DVD.

A screenshot of your project would help, as would a dxdiag file. I have read that hard drive space can be an issue and also that your project files should all be on your primary hard drive. Not sure whether this is a factor in your case, but it doesn't hurt to rule that out and other possible hardware/driver issues.

You are, of course, free to choose another product. Personally I am not aware of any other product offering as much bang for the buck! We would love to make you a happy PD9 customer, even though we here in this forum don't work for Cyberlink. We are though, committed to the product, despite our grumbling, because nothing else comes close in our humble opinion and there is never going to be any video editing software that will be entirely bug and issue free, given the many different computer configurations out there.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Ripsnort60 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Garioch7, thanks for the reply.
I tried cranking down the DVD speed to no avail. Ironically, this would be an easy code fix by the software developers if indeed this is a common issue.

FWIW, Pinnacle (Avid) HD, Roxio Creater, and Windows Live Movie maker all burn to DVD with no issues.
I really like the interface on PD9, thus the reason I was trying to move all my projects for my business to this software.
But IMHO, it's not ready for "prime time" yet. Maybe in the future?

Thanks,
Ciao!~

PS: More more interesting note, on the Duo Core machine that PD9 DID work on previous (albeit painfully slow), is now giving me a new burning unsuccessful error code (eEB020BE2). This is with a new install from one of the tech people at Cyberlink.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2011 15:23

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Brian: Sorry, I didn't read the thread closely enough - I see you supplied all of the requested information. Sorry for being an idiot! You should have slapped me for that!

I took a look and I can't see anything obvious in your hardware reported by the dxdiag that would cause your problem. Your computer looks very capable of handling PD9.

The one thing I did note was a lot of Roxio files and drivers in your dxdiag report and, as Dafydd has suggested, that might be causing some kind of a software conflict with PD9. I have some simple OEM Roxio burning software on my computer that came with my Dell, but I never use it because I don't find it to be very good. That said, it has not caused me any problems either.

I am not sure that there is a simple software fix for your problem. Lots of us are burning DVDs successfully of much longer duration, in my case one-hour and two-hour video DVDs in DVD-HQ and DVD-SP, respectively. I have personally burned well over a hundred DVDs in .mpeg2 format in the short time I have been using PD9 and I have only had the error twice, and it was resolved by reducing burn speed and ensuring the DVDs were virgin.

What format are you trying to burn?

From the look of your screenshots, PD9 is dying just as it tries to actually burn the disc - at 99% authoring, you will hear it fire up the DVD burner. Something, either the DVD burner, the driver, conflicting software, contaminated DVD, or something else is causing an abort of the burn process before it ever really gets going.

If you do want to experiment, get some DVD-RWs (to avoid making coasters), and try burning a simple project with just the sample clips that come with PD9 at 4x in .mpeg2 format at DVD-HQ and see how that goes. That would at least rule out a bad media file.

There has to be a simple answer to this issue. Most of the other users have either found a solution, or gave up and burn to folder, then to DVD using alternate burning software.

I can understand your desire to have it all done by PD9. That's the way it should work. In any event, I am fresh out of ideas, but I wish we could find a solution. Perhaps some of the more erudite forum members will be able to figure out the problem. I confess that I am not the most technically literate person haunting these forums, far from it!

Have a great day, and good luck with PD9 or whatever package you select.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Ripsnort60 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Phil,
I've tried several methods of burning, with various speeds all the way down to 4X.
-Burning straight out of the camera (via flashcard or downloaded to folder). These are .MTX files (AVCHD) from my Canon S200 HD camera. Then burning directly to disk. No go.
-Burning .WMV files to disk. No go.
-Burning sample projects that came with the software. No go.

I've tried 2 different brands of DVD RW disks. Same results.

I have tried burning to folder, then burning to disk using alternate software (A PIA work around if you ask me...it's easier just to use Pinnacle or Roxio if I go that route, they both burn directly to DVD with no issues). The problem with this is the 3 types of DVD players I've tried to play these on do not recognize the format, the disk or perhaps its a DLL problem.

I'm really frustrated as you can see, and I've just about given up all hope.

PS: I've also noted another anomoly, I went to burn 40 minutes of HD video as an experiment with 4X speed, the time remaining shows :01, but the authoring progress is froze at 28 percent.
*Sigh*

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 16. 2011 15:52

garioch7
[Post New]
Brian: I confess that I am way over my limited knowledge level. I have attached the link for supported formats and I didn't see .mtx there, but then different names are used and I am not a techie, so take everything I say with a BAG of salt!

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/devices-formats_en_CA.html

Personally, I use two Sonys - a digital .mpeg2 camcorder, and a Sony HD .m2ts or .mt2s. The latter I have yet to try with PD9 because my family and friends have me busy with Hi8 and VHS video conversions of old family movies.

Burning direct from the camera via PD9 is not a recommended route. The media files should be on your primary hard drive and it should have LOTS of free space.

That is why I suggested just trying to burn a simple project just using the sample clips that come with PD9: castle, nature, etc. to .mpeg2 format in DVD-HQ. If that doesn't work, then there is definitely something not quite right.

Can you PRODUCE your project, or a simple project, to .mpeg2 format and will that file play on Windows Media Player? What I am trying to isolate is whether there might be a codec issue or perhaps a space issue on your hard drive where PD9 is running out of space. It creates humungus files when it is rendering/authoring and burning and insufficient hard drive space has caused more than one user some serious grief.

It is also of concern that your DVD players do not recognize your DVDs that you say are burned successfully using other burner software. That suggests a format issue.

Hopefully someone who knows something will be along shortly to rescuse us!

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Ronk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 06, 2011 17:35 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
The problem is not generic to any one setup. I have 7 sister projects on PD9, all very similar. Four burn fine every time, three fail with Error code E80004004 every time. I can find no significant difference in these 7 projects.
I am on Windows Vista 64 bit home premium.
Ronk [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 06, 2011 17:35 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
I have been going back and forth with Cyberlink support on this issue almost daily since 8/10, trying everything they suggest and providing all information they suggest, with no resolution. I cannot burn new projects or modified projects without the error e80004004.
Old untouched projects burn fine, but if I change any slightest thing, the project will not burn without the error. How can I produce a video (including the first-play video, background music, and fancy menus with my own video backgrounds) to a disk and then use other software to burn a disc? If I use the "Produce" button, I don't see a way to include the first play video and background music. If I use the "Create Disc" button and burn to a folder, I get a bunch of .vob, .ifo, and BUP files. How can I burn my projects to disc?
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: If I use the "Create Disc" button and burn to a folder, I get a bunch of .vob, .ifo, and BUP files. How can I burn my projects to disc?
If the burn to folder finishes sucessfully with no errors, you can then use ImgBurn (free) or products like CL Power2Go to burn this folder set to a DVD for playback.

Jeff
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
The vob files and other created in the 'folder' on your Hard drive are the folders that are required for a DVD video disk. They are what DVD movies disk comprise (store bought).
As mentioned in JL_JL previous post just use ImgBurn to turn that folder to disk.
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 20. 2011 23:27

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!