Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Modifying Transitions
[Post New]
Is it possible? I am trying to create a page turning effect, like you're turning through pages. Problem is the "Page Curl" "Page Fold" and "Page Roll" transitions all start the transition from the left hand side, as if you were reading a book backwards. This just seems totally ass backwards to me.

The only way i can think of is to try and create the video "backwards", produce it, then reverse the clip. But even that wouldn't look right.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I brought this FACT to Cyberlink on more than one occasion, it fell on deaf ears. They really utterly ignored it.
Again, a simple fix the janitorial staff at CL probably could have performed, that went nowhere.
I think folks who use any software can understand that some issues are very complex and require complex solutions. When silly stuff, such as reversing a faulty transition (image flip), goes unfixed, it tells me (rightly or wrongly) they just don't care.
The Devil is in the details, isn't it?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 10. 2011 19:48

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Lee
Newbie Location: San Francisco Bay Area Joined: Jul 22, 2010 18:19 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Who reads a book, or turns pages left to right?
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
They only had to change 1 of the 3, then you could flip both ways. They aren't interested. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
How about fixes as individual download files you get from DZone? Want the transition fix? Got it.
Maybe a new transition altogether? Click here!
Need a duration button? Right thar! HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Lee -

It's funny when you take a look at other (much higher priced) video editing software how many of them have the same page turning transition that rolls from left to right (with no other option). The first one I came across with a right to left page roll/turn was a freebie.

Personally, it doesn't bother me because it just gives the impression of a page turn.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
If that is the case, what the heck am I missing here?
Dollars-to-donuts (a silly archaic term) that 3/4 of the world reads left-to-right, so I am astounded at Tony's revelation.
That being said, it would take next to zero effort to include a Western style page turn, and it was asked for in PD8 also.
How do they read text in Taiwan? That is a serious question.
Also, I would like a JET or BOAT transition in addition the JET & BOAT, other than that, only 40 or 50 others.
Is there anyone in this forum who knows how to make a new transition? Adrian? Denbigh? Bueller? Bueller?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 11. 2011 18:18

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Barry -

I have to admit that my exploration didn't go very far, so it certainly isn't earth shattering.

Not being techno minded in that way, I wouldn't have a clue how to modify a transition or make a new one... but I agree that (for someone who knew) it would be a simple process. I wouldn't know where to start...

Taiwan? Traditional Chinese? Written vertically? Not sure about page turning!

Cheers - Tony
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Now that you mention it, a vertical page turn would be nice.
You know, using transitions is dependent on the video and what you try to convey, overuse is easy and common.
Often, I use no transitions, or just fades, but if it's in the library, for Pete's sake, make 'em usable. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Well, after giving it a try, if you place your video file in the timeline UPSIDE-DOWN, then a page transition, then place your next video file into the timeline UPSIDE-DOWN, then render to the format of your choice, then take that new file and place it in the timeline, then spin that new file in the timeline UPSIDE-DOWN, play it and you will see it works just fine, and the page turn looks great.
There's few things that can compare to an easy workaround. Only 5 extra steps. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
ynotfish
[Post New]
Here's proof that Barry the Crab's oh-so-simple 5 step workaround works.

Cheers - Tony
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
This thread forced me to tell CL, via a support ticket, that the lack of a proper page transition, after years of bringing this up, makes them look,...well, I'll leave it there. I had to send them the link to this, maybe FINALLY they'll pay attention.
How can my favorite software make me so damn mad? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
Quote: Is it possible? I am trying to create a page turning effect, like you're turning through pages. Problem is the "Page Curl" "Page Fold" and "Page Roll" transitions all start the transition from the left hand side, as if you were reading a book backwards. This just seems totally ass backwards to me.

The only way i can think of is to try and create the video "backwards", produce it, then reverse the clip. But even that wouldn't look right.
well, I just know such one tool XFlip tool to make right to left flipping book

well, very great topic, pages with page turning effect is really very fun.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Hello Newbie Merryflip,
it's possible, with all the crabby messages I've been sending, that PD12 may FINALLY have proper page-turns.
Please note, the common FADE is best, but sometimes a page-turn is useful. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
The transitions in PD have been fixed, and you are a SPAMMER. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)