Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Improving Editing Speed
rcalzadilla [Avatar]
Member Location: South Florida Joined: Apr 13, 2011 18:55 Messages: 107 Offline
[Post New]
Strictly working in High Definition.
I'd like to improve the video editing speed/smoothness. That is, the process of working between the library and time line. The going back and forth wjem trying the different effects, transition, particles, etc.

Would upgrading the Graphics Card help noticeably? I am thinking of spending around $200 if that would do it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 07. 2011 11:27

EVGA (132-BL-E758-TR) X58 ATX
Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 285, 1GB
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
Canon Vixia HF S21 (AVCHD)
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I doubt you could get a better video card for a reasonable amount of money.

The benchmark on you present card is well up in the performance range.

BenchMark: Your card is ranked at 31.
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GTX+285 Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

rcalzadilla [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply EVGA (132-BL-E758-TR) X58 ATX
Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
I got my ATI 5770 1GB off ebay buy it now NEW for $150.... __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
Barring an audit, I'm going to be upgrading my video card also but from a 8800 GT and will be spending around $200 after I get my tax return.

You have to find your bottle neck. Video Editing is also RAM and CPU intensive and you system looks good there.

I don't think there are any of us that have a computer that runs PD9 HD as smooth as silk if that's what you are looking for.

I'm wondering if a very fast high RPM HD or a flash drive is in your future.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2011 09:08

rcalzadilla [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I got my ATI 5770 1GB off ebay buy it now NEW for $150....

Would this be a significant improvement in editing?
If yes, could you give me the link to the specific one on eBay? There are several cards there.
thanks
raul

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 08. 2011 09:20

Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
fsoz123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 27, 2011 15:11 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Wow, you're having problems with your killer machine? I have a Core2 Quad Q6600 with 8 gigs and it takes me a whole day to open an 1 hour HD TV show, break it into scenes, and then edit out the commercials. I was hoping a new machine would make things faster, how is it working for you?
fsoz123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Bubba,
If that's true that you need all of that information to make a software work, then it's not very good software.
For under $100 it is what it is. As an IT manager for an accounting firm, I deal with many different higher priced software packages, very rarely have to even call their tech support, it just works.
I have seen so many different tweaks for this software, turn off shadowing, increase your page file, do a complete uninstall/reinstall, it's your video drivers, it's SLI, I think it's hopeless.
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
fsoz123

What kind of video editing software does your accounting firm use that it runs so well.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 08. 2011 19:27

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Bubba,
If that's true that you need all of that information to make a software work, then it's not very good software.
For under $100 it is what it is. As an IT manager for an accounting firm, I deal with many different higher priced software packages, very rarely have to even call their tech support, it just works.
I have seen so many different tweaks for this software, turn off shadowing, increase your page file, do a complete uninstall/reinstall, it's your video drivers, it's SLI, I think it's hopeless.

For me and many many people who don't come to this forum, PowerDirector installs fine, no problems, it just works.

Most problems are when people try to edit video (one of the most intensive things you can ask your computer to do) on old or underpowered equipment. For example Shadow files are used for underpowered computers that can't handle video in real time. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Wow, you're having problems with your killer machine? I have a Core2 Quad Q6600 with 8 gigs and it takes me a whole day to open an 1 hour HD TV show, break it into scenes, and then edit out the commercials. I was hoping a new machine would make things faster, how is it working for you?

Well I have a core2 Quad Q6600 with 6GB RAM and quite happily edit H264 1080p60 @28Mbps with an occasional stutter (which resolves if I restart the programme). Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
rcalzadilla [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am new with PD9 and very happy with it.
When I ask questions to improve it with new hardware, it's just that I want the smoothest operations possible.

Would recommend PD9 to anyone!
The price is very affordable also. Most of us have spent a lot more for a lot less technology.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 09. 2011 08:10

Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
fsoz123 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry to upset anyone, it's just frustrating to have a program start out so well, meaning it can detect over 60% of the scenes on a 1 hr program in 10 minutes, then the remaining 40% takes hours. Once that's done, it takes hours for the detected scenes to load on the main page. It's only using 2.5 out of 8 gigs of RAM, and the processor doesn't go over 50% What causes the slow down?
[Post New]
Using multiple drives is what we used to do in the old days with other editing programs and the slower systems we had to work with. The key there was to avoid read/ write conflict delays. Program on one drive (C Drive) , source Material/ Project files on another, and production written to a third drive. This could also help here to get the last bit of performance from your system.

Another option: I just changed out my C drive SSD for a larger one and now use my older SSD exclusively for my current project source files and produce to a 3rd HD. I was using the HD for my source media files and the same drive for production output. I see a dramatic improvement in both editing and production from running my source files on the SSD vs the relatively fast HD. Before this change, my i5 processor was running ~30% & only occasionally Peaking to 50 or 60% max. It is now pegging out 50% of the time while producing using the two SSDs (one SATA3 & the other SATA2).

If an SSD is not in your budget try adding a separate fast HD drive for your source materials.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at May 09. 2011 17:14

rcalzadilla [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Wow, you're having problems with your killer machine? I have a Core2 Quad Q6600 with 8 gigs and it takes me a whole day to open an 1 hour HD TV show, break it into scenes, and then edit out the commercials. I was hoping a new machine would make things faster, how is it working for you?

I am very happy with PD9.
I just got it on April 23rd, 2011 and I knew I would have to learn a lot of stuff. I'm just excited that there is so much to learn. Because there will be a lot of stuff to use!
My sole thing ( don't know if its a problem ) is when I am working the time line and add or modify, the preview screen doesn't show the scene I am working with; its either dark or dark with the cross hairs. I feel like I want to work too fast. Always able to preview though.

Everything works beautiful, I think.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 09. 2011 16:51

Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.