Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 9 Not Responding & Locking Up
Huntley10784 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 07, 2011 16:42 Messages: 37 Offline
[Post New]
I finished the last two family projects finally and when PD9 is working the end result is amazing.

Today I thought I would try practicing with the PIP and do a 30 second piece to see if I could do the same thing I saw in the tutorial. After I play the piece once and then try to do anything with it things lock up, freeze or just plain old "Not Responding." Could one of you guys please see if you have the same problem; play it and then click on the PIP clip. One it's highlighted to edit is when I find that things stop working. For this little piece I have to save just prior to playing the piece and then CTRL ALT DEL to close the program so that I can reopen, try to edit, save, play, and then get locked up again.

As usual, I'm curious if this happens to anyone else.

Thanks in advance,

Darrel
 Filename
Twinn Test.pds
[Disk]
 Description
PDS FILE causing me problems
 Filesize
95 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
524 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
27 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
285 time(s)
[Thumb - Frozen screen.jpg]
 Filename
Frozen screen.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
627 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
191 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 20. 2011 17:01

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Darrel,
"open with power director" gave me error regarding
your pds file. When "ignore"- it was blank.

Upon "importing" your pds file, error again-
could not open.

Nina
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Huntley10784 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Darrel,
"open with power director" gave me error regarding
your pds file. When "ignore"- it was blank.

Upon "importing" your pds file, error again-
could not open.

Nina

Thanks. I'll have to open a ticket to see if they know what's going on.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Huntley and Nina: The .pds file will not open if it can't find the media being used, so just sending the .pds file without the media files will obviously cause PD9 to fail trying to open the .pds file.

From your dxdiag, it looks like your computer has enough horsepower. I am wondering whether you have shadow files enabled and hardware acceleration. Turn all of that off. Also, make sure that your QuickTime is up-to-date. You might also try installing the FFDshow codec pack.

A screenshot of your project might help the pros here figure out if it is something with your project that is causing PD9 to hiccup. Do you have the latest build of PD9, which is 2702?

Hope this was of some help. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Did you try an new project, add your videos to the timeline then save the Project file?

I have seen corrupted pds files. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Huntley,
Phil and Carl have given you useful ways forward.

Please can you supply a screenshot*?

*A screenshot of the contents is one of the "things" we ask for as basic information. It would have helped Phil determine very quickly if you had shadow files in operation plus other bits.

Guide info: Shadow files operation - you do NOT need this option. Look in preferences and uncheck the options:
Preferences > General > Enable HD video processing (uncheck the option asap)
Also:
Preferences > Confirmation > Always prompt me when I import HD video into the library.

Thanks
Dafydd
Huntley10784 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Huntley,
Phil and Carl have given you useful ways forward.

Please can you supply a screenshot*?

*A screenshot of the contents is one of the "things" we ask for as basic information. It would have helped Phil determine very quickly if you had shadow files in operation plus other bits.

Guide info: Shadow files operation - you do NOT need this option. Look in preferences and uncheck the options:
Preferences > General > Enable HD video processing (uncheck the option asap)
Also:
Preferences > Confirmation > Always prompt me when I import HD video into the library.

Thanks
Dafydd

I did UNCHECK what you recommended. I've attached a screenshot of a frozen screen. What I did notice is that if I wait long enough PD9 unfreezes then freezes. I'm just going to move on to something else. Thanks for your assistance.
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Huntley: I didn't see a screenshot. It sounds to me like PD9 is still processing something. On my computer, there is often a significant time lag (20 seconds or so) when completing the editing a scrolling title, for example. If you wait it out, control will return to you; if you keep pushing PD9 before it is finished processing, you will overwhelm it and your computer.

You are certainly free to choose another product, but I have to say that PD9 is the best product out there for the price. Some folks have initial difficulties getting PD9 to work for them, but the pros here are usually able to diagnose the problem and get them up and running and they don't look back.

You might also have conflicting software - there have been reports of that on this forum. If you want us to help, let us know and attach the screenshot and we will all do what we can. There are forum members here with all kinds of incredible expertise - collectively, we are not easily defeated or discouraged.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Huntley10784 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Huntley: I didn't see a screenshot. It sounds to me like PD9 is still processing something. On my computer, there is often a significant time lag (20 seconds or so) when completing the editing a scrolling title, for example. If you wait it out, control will return to you; if you keep pushing PD9 before it is finished processing, you will overwhelm it and your computer.

You are certainly free to choose another product, but I have to say that PD9 is the best product out there for the price. Some folks have initial difficulties getting PD9 to work for them, but the pros here are usually able to diagnose the problem and get them up and running and they don't look back.

You might also have conflicting software - there have been reports of that on this forum. If you want us to help, let us know and attach the screenshot and we will all do what we can. There are forum members here with all kinds of incredible expertise - collectively, we are not easily defeated or discouraged.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Phil, thanks for the information. I did discover what you said about the lag and waiting. As for PD9, I love it. It's just frustrating at times.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Darrel,
With your set up you shouldn't be getting the lag, in my opinion.
I noticed:
1. the address location of your saved file and your media is the address default location. I would suggest you alter the setting in Properties > File. I doubt this will change anything but long addresses etc are never good for editing software. Best to store at C(in your case\ Video\Project\001.pds
2. I note you have ample space on your HDD (C). Which makes me wonder if the disk drive itself has issues with processing data (and giving this stress sign as a possible failure).
3. I have read a number from editors with the same CPU reporting a similar problem - a threading issue. I have mentioned this to CyberLink.
4. recheck you have the latest drivers - graphic, audio, check what you have on your system which may be running in the background (and virus checkers do cause editors problems), and switch them off.

Having experienced the "lag" using PD9, I can only state from experience - mine was a failing HDD in a USB which "fell asleep" all the time.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 21. 2011 09:23

Huntley10784 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi Darrel,
With your set up you shouldn't be getting the lag, in my opinion.
I noticed:
1. the address location of your saved file and your media is the address default location. I would suggest you alter the setting in Properties > File. I doubt this will change anything but long addresses etc are never good for editing software. Best to store at C(in your case\ Video\Project\001.pds
2. I note you have ample space on your HDD (C). Which makes me wonder if the disk drive itself has issues with processing data (and giving this stress sign as a possible failure).
3. I have read a number from editors with the same CPU reporting a similar problem - a threading issue. I have mentioned this to CyberLink.
4. recheck you have the latest drivers - graphic, audio, check what you have on your system which may be running in the background (and virus checkers do cause editors problems), and switch them off.

Having experienced the "lag" using PD9, I can only state from experience - mine was a failing HDD in a USB which "fell asleep" all the time.

Dafydd

Appreciate the feedback. Have a nice weekend. Be well.
Zakk [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 16, 2011 19:02 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I'm having a terrible time with my powerdirector 9. I love this product and after trying several other editing softwares it is, in my opinion the best option out there, which is why it is all the more painful that i cant get it to work. I constantly get the not responding error message when doing basic editing. I've updated my drivers to the latest version, uninstalled and reinstalled several times and still the same "not responding."I'm currently in school for film and dont have time for my editing software to consistently freeze and crash. Please if someone could help me with this it will be MUCH MUCH apprecitated. I'm attaching my dxdiag.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
301 time(s)
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Online
[Post New]
I'm not sure you will ever get your Toshiba to run PD9 effectively - both the cpu and the gpu are really not up to the job. System requirements are here :
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_US.html

This is from :http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-l455-s5975/4505-3121_7-33776102.html#reviewPage1

"While this laptop is fine for basic e-mail, media-viewing, music-playing, and other simple tasks, we wouldn't recommend it for any sort of multitasking or serious multimedia. It was a dinosaur before, and it's even more of a dinosaur now processor-wise, but Windows 7 does run fine on it, and, all things considered, this could be the sort of bargain a low-expectations consumer is looking for.

The Celeron 900 is an older, bottom-line Intel processor, and we'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone for mainstream computing needs. Its multitasking performance is terrible, since it's a single-core processor; basic office work and Web browsing plus e-mail and occasional media browsing are about all that can be expected. Even worse, the L455 performed slightly worse in our benchmark tests than the previously middling L305-S5955. It's better than a basic Netbook, but not by much. Still, our anecdotal use of the L455-S5975 yielded acceptable results for basic tasks. Streaming video worked well, as long as the video was lower-resolution and not full-screen--480p Hulu streams in full-screen were stutter-filled."

An upgrade is probably the only answer.

Cheers
Adrian
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Zakk [Avatar]
[Post New]
I do have a mac desktop is there any way i could move my powerdirector to that?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
No, there is not.

Powerdirector is Windows only, no MAC versions. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Zakk [Avatar]
[Post New]
Any ideas on low end price scale machines that will work efficiently with PD9?
Carl312
[Post New]
Depends on what you consider low end price.

I built my computer (Windows XP) for about $700. Then I bought Windows 7 three user for $105. So I have a little over $800 in this computer. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I built mine Intel i7 2600 Grforce 560ti 1mb garphic accelerator 12 Gb ram for 1500 with 24" Monitor, It was a package and I specified the the graphic card cost $1500 canadian
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 09. 2011 21:57

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!