Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Frequent freezes in PD9. Seems random. Tried many things & can't fix it. ~FIX page3 SDR post~
[Post New]
OK, I am also back for another round . . . and Drive size is not the problem now.

I have tried many things short of reinstalling PD9 (9.0.0.2702) again after these updates. That will probably be next.

This is what I have tried so far with no improvement with any of the changes that were made incrementally: (Working on a project that had 12GB of HD clips as original source)
• Changed out the C drive for a 240GB SATA3 SSD with 160 GB free
• Installed latest MB BIOs
• Re installed latest ATI Drivers, CAPs, AMD Media Codec Package
• Changed Virtual memory from System managed to 1.5 times my 8GB RAM, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size.
• Used MSconfig to selective start-up . . .
• Updated QuickTime
• put QT to Audio & Video safe modes
• Disabled Norton virus protection
• Removed Smart Sound from Music track.
• Stopped auto logging into director central
• Changed the C drive to a 400GB SATA1 HD with 320 GB Free
• Changed play back settings down to normal playback
• Changed back to 240GB SATA3 SSD with 160 GB free

Still have the problem . . .

PD9 hangs usually at a clip transition on movie playback after a drag trim edit; or after adding a fade transition; closing a Gap after a save; Play movie post save after an edit at the next clip. The system will also hang after dropping a fade transition between two clips.

Any Ideas ???

Thanks
 Filename
SDR-4-27-11DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
401 time(s)
 Filename
SDR-4-27-11-EventLog.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
938 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 28. 2011 15:27

radcliffe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2011 13:53 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I too have similar issue with my PD9....freezing while editing and not allowing me to make a 10 -15 minute production of any file type. It freezes while rendering .MOV, WMV, Mpeg2 in any quality. Very frustrating. Have done same steps as the original author of this forum link. Wish PD folks would figure out why the PD9 Ultra 64 bit is not working with Windows 7 64bit and I7 processor. I have 3 Terabyte drives and a 2 T sata drive with plenty of space and 8 Gig Ram so I'm at a loss. I have provided them with all the info and screenshots just like this author too.....so far no luck.
[Post New]
radcliffe;
so I'm at a loss. I have provided them with all the info and screenshots just like this author too.

We are not them! We are users like you. I have PD9 Ultra and run it on my Windows 7 64bit I7 machine.

We need some information to start the help. First, verify the version of PD9 installed (inside the program click on the name powerdirector in the upper right). Give us the build (I have 9.0.0.2702)
Now create and attach a DXDIAG file:

1. Click start
2. in the search box type DXDIAG <Enter>
3. Inside that window, click the "save all information" button and save the file somewhere you can find it (like the desktop)
4.Come back here and click the "POST REPLY" button at the bottom of the post.
5. Attach your DXDIAG file here so we can "SEE" your machine.

THEN, we can start helping. No two problems are the same here. Please provide this information to start. THANKS
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
FredB the Post Reply button is at the TOP of the post not the bottom.

You can not attach a file with the Quick Reply button on the bottom of the post. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Carl:
Not really sure how that contributed to radcliffe's solution but the POST REPLY button I referred to is at the TOP and BOTTOM!! Some of these threads get so long...I would never suggest that there is a need to scroll to the TOP (yes I know HOME key works, too), since we are at the bottom reading this;

radcliffe;

I have PD9 Ultra and run it on my Windows 7 64bit I7 machine.

We need some information to start the help. First, verify the version of PD9 installed (inside the program click on the name powerdirector in the upper right). Give us the build (I have 9.0.0.2702)
Now create and attach a DXDIAG file:

1. Click start
2. in the search box type DXDIAG <Enter>
3. Inside that window, click the "save all information" button and save the file somewhere you can find it (like the desktop)
4.Come back here and click the "POST REPLY" button (NOT Quick reply) at the bottom of the post.
5. Attach your DXDIAG file here so we can "SEE" your machine.

THEN, we can start helping. No two problems are the same here. Please provide this information to start. THANKS
 Filename
bottom.png
[Disk]
 Description
both ends
 Filesize
69 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
220 time(s)

This message was edited 8 times. Last update was at Apr 28. 2011 17:13

radcliffe [Avatar]
[Post New]

Hi Fred et al

Thank you for attempting to help....I want to apologize for inferring that it was anyone's fault of what I'm experiencing....just frustrating to use a software that seems real nice but that freezes during edits and won't complete any processing of finished video's ? Here is the first bit of info as you requested.....i have the 9.0.0.2701 version, SR # VDE110120-01 of PD9 Ultra 64. I have attached the dxdiag file and a screenshot to this reply....again thank you for any help you can provide.

Rad Williams
[Thumb - My PD9 stuck in limbo waiting to complete a movie.png]
 Filename
My PD9 stuck in limbo waiting to complete a movie.png
[Disk]
 Description
My PD9 screen (frozen again)
 Filesize
444 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
244 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag_1.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DXDIAG file
 Filesize
42 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
280 time(s)
[Post New]
Rad;
Thanks for the files. This will help you get answers. I have a couple of comments...then I hope some experts can help you more. There are many active experts who will jump in once they "see" your files.:

1. Are you running Crossfire with ATI? I think there is an issue (someone? Anyone?)
2. If you have "Shadow Files" checked in PD9 preferences screen, UNCHECK it.
3. Post a screencap of the actual PD9 workspace showing the timeline and library
4.2702 is the latest build (unless you are running the trial version). Suggest you get it if yours is a registered version.
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html
5. I don't see Quicktime or ffmpeg codecs installed. Not sure the effect of not having this (others will tell you)

EDIT:
Carl;
There is also a button to "Stop watching this topic" but I didn't speak of that either.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 28. 2011 17:45

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
FredB

Attached is a screen shot of the bottom on this forum as seen in My browser.

The first time I ever saw a Post Reply at the bottom, thanks for the screen shot.

[Thumb - QuickReply at the bottom in my browser.jpg]
 Filename
QuickReply at the bottom in my browser.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Quick Reply at the bottom of forum.
 Filesize
91 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
212 time(s)
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
In my case:
• no shadow file
• No Cross Fire

See other files attached in above posts, current project screen shot attached. Other projects without mixed mp3 & QuickTime clips also have the same issue.

Playback after a save and transitions seem to be a common trigger to the events prior to the aplication hanging.
Please see event log for maybe some clues.

Thanks

[Thumb - 4-28-2011 2-42-51 PM.jpg]
 Filename
4-28-2011 2-42-51 PM.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
project screen shot
 Filesize
420 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
201 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2011 17:55

radcliffe [Avatar]
[Post New]

I am not running crossfire dual video cards just the one 5700 series ATI video card.
I have upgraded now to the 9.0.0.2702 patch and I also have shadowing unchecked.
I do have Quicktime Player 7.6.9 (1680.9) installed on the PC as well.

Not sure what ffmpeg is ? ....how do I look for it or install please?

Thank you

Rad Williams
[Thumb - Main page in PD9 as requested.png]
 Filename
Main page in PD9 as requested.png
[Disk]
 Description
PDR9 Workspace as requested
 Filesize
459 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
210 time(s)
[Post New]
OK almost there! :

Just did a Clean, Reinstall and re Patch using (CyberLink.2702_Patch_VDE110120-07). Now PD9 asks for my key and my activation Key fails with 2702 on two clean & install attempts.

Then re-cleaned and installed to base level of .2316 It is not asking for a new key and everything seems to be working fine for at least for moy limited testing on the things that was making it hang fairly frequently as stated above.

Will do some more testing over the next day or so using .2316 before re battling the key activation issue with 2702.

For those with similar issues, what seemed to be the answer was to do the following in this order:
1. make sure C drive has at least 100 GB free
2. Install latest MB BIOs
3. Re install latest ATI Drivers, CAPs, and AMD Media Codec Package (find on ATI optional download tab)
4. Change Virtual memory from System managed to 1.5 times RAM, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size.
5. ReUpdate QuickTime
6. Ignore and do not feed the forum troll . . .
7. Run CLCleaner-PDR7.0-9.0.exe & CLCleaner-PDR9SmartSound.exe per http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15688.page
8. Reinstall Power Director & Content Pack
9. Then run the latest Patch (if you are able to . . . if not, loop back to step 7.)

I still suspect a failed i-tunes install as the root cause and other i-tunes conflicts as it tries to take control of playing media. I do know that it messes with my powerDVD and other windows audio playback some times (but only when the iPod is plugged in . . . without a reboot). If at allposible try to keep i-tunes off your system. . .

Hope this helps

Steve

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Apr 29. 2011 04:52

fsoz123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 27, 2011 15:11 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I turned off shadow files, and it started scene detection faster than I had ever seen it. Then the usual happened, it slowed to a crawl. The first 600 scenes took minutes the next 600 will take hours. It's a wtv file converted by Win 7 to dvr-ms. PD 9 creates an mpg, then I do scene detection. It still seems faster, before I'd have to leave it over night.
RayL [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 24, 2008 08:18 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
I have also continue to have frequent Freezes. I have followed the many instructions I have received from support. Attached is my DxDiag if some would mind looking at it. I have shadow files off and running build 2316 as suggested by support. one thing I have note done is look at MB BIOs as I don't know where to get that. I started looking at Corel Video editor to see it if had the features of PD although I hate to learn a new editor

thank you
 Filename
DxDiag 1-May.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
31 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
358 time(s)
fsoz123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 27, 2011 15:11 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I spoke too soon, it still wasn't finished the next morning, and I had to use task manager to shut it down.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
fsoz123 & RayL

Please read: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/13638.page

Please post your issue as a NEW TOPIC.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=posts&action=insert&forum_id=67

Thread locked.