Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Frequent freezes in PD9. Seems random. Tried many things & can't fix it. ~FIX page3 SDR post~
Lerey [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Portland Or Joined: Jan 16, 2011 15:17 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I am using PD9 latest update. (.2702)
I have tried every available driver for my video card (1 from windows update and 2 different ones straight from AMD). The one from windows update seems to be the best. The other one's cause freezes even just playing back a normal video in a normal playback software.

I tried the advice on this post, (http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16273.page) but it didn't work even when the comp is in selective startup mode.

Once in selective startup mode:
1 I opened the project in the screen shot,
2 put the preview resolution to low, and on "non real time".
3 Then I multi-split a clip into about 4 different pieces
4 clicked Ok
5 then tried to save it and it froze.

Have a new HP Desktop with an I7 processor. When the program freezes, it is usually only using 20-50% of the processor and 20-40% of the RAM. And it freezes so I have to 'end task' to get out of it.

Generally just doing normal things makes it freeze. Occasionally it will freeze while producing something, but I can usually get it to work at least with 2-3 tries. It's the freezes when I just click to another place in the clip on the timeline, or pause a clip and press save and it freezes that are really frustrating.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Lerey
[Thumb - Screen Shot.jpg]
 Filename
Screen Shot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Screen shot of project
 Filesize
453 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
295 time(s)
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Dx Diag file of my system.
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
512 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 01. 2011 14:23

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
You said you tried several different drivers, but your dxDiag shows the one you have installed is almost a year old. There have been lots of updates since then. I would recommend a newer version.

What codec does the camera use to make that mp4? I have have trouble with XviD videos in PD9. I convert them to another format and then edit.

Have you tried it with the Power Tools to see if it works better? By 'multi-split', do you mean you split it multiple times, or did you use multi-trim? I don't know that it makes a difference, but I don't like multi-trim personally. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know what is going on with your computer but your dxdiag file shows you have an ATI Radeon HD 5450 graphics card with almost year old drivers BUT ATI as per this website says there is no such card for a desktop.
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/drivers.aspx

Now unless it is a special build just for HP or you have a laptop card in a desktop, this is the only HD 5450 graphic drivers I could find and they are the most recent from march 2011.
http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?type=2.4.2&product=2.4.2.3.39&contentType=GPU+Download+Detail&ostype=Windows+7+-+64-Bit+Edition&keywords=&items=20 My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Lerey [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the advice. I guess I have that old driver because a tech support person had me remove the video card & let it reinstall itself.
Previous to that I did have other drivers installed, and they didn't make a difference. I will try installing the new driver again now though and see if it is different.

I don't know what to say on the video card being a laptop card. I haven't opened the case to look inside. It's just what came with the computer. Perhaps I should open it up and look and see what's inside?

Best,
Lerey
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
The ATI 5450 is a valid graphics card. However, PD9 does not suppiort the GPU hardware acceleration on this card. So you will have to simply rely on the number crunching capabilities of your PC, which the i7 is quite capable of.

The ATI drivers are found at:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5450-overview/Pages/hd-5450-overview.aspx#2 Win 10, i7
Lerey [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Guys.

So I updated the driver with the latest one.

1. Removed device from device manager.
2. Uninstalled old driver installations.
3. Reinstalled most recent device software from ATI website.

Then I went back in and started editing again.
I made a couple changes without trouble.
Then while the preview is playing, I right clicked on the title in the lower left of the timeline (see screen shot). I was going to copy it and paste it.
It never even popped up with the R click dialog. Just froze right there.

It doesn't seem to me like it's the video card drivers at this point...

Any other ideas?

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
New DXDiag. 4-10-2011
 Filesize
30 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
428 time(s)
[Thumb - Screen Shot.jpg]
 Filename
Screen Shot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
New Screen Shot. 4-10-2011
 Filesize
415 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
292 time(s)
Lerey [Avatar]
[Post New]
I was just working with it again.
I clicked just before a transition, had "movie" (not clip) selected.
I pressed play.
It played up to the transition, then the sound kept going, but image did not.
I let it go for about 10 seconds, still video frozen.
I paused it and it stopped.
I clicked on a clip and it highlighted.
I tried to click play again and it froze.
And the whole time video resolution was put at "low". I still did have it on real time preview.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 10. 2011 22:04

[Post New]
Lerey;
Go to "preferences" and turn OFF (uncheck) "shadow files". Your machine is strong enough NOT to need them and they have been reported to cause this type of slowdown while working. (See image attached)

Also, turn the preview resolution UP to help smooth out the preview (stop the "jerkiness"). See my settings on the second image attached here!
[Thumb - Untitled-1.jpg]
 Filename
Untitled-1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
SHADOW FILES
 Filesize
86 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
290 time(s)
[Thumb - Untitled-2.jpg]
 Filename
Untitled-2.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Preview at HD level
 Filesize
22 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
305 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Apr 10. 2011 22:22

Lerey [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great! thanks Fred!

I will let you know if this fixes it. Until a few days ago I always had the preview at HD or at least High quality. I only lowered it because some people were told to in the forum..

Lerey

And thanks to everyone else that's helped me with this so far!
[Post New]
Lerey;
Yes, the suggestion to lower the preview resolution is often used, especially when the video card is an issue. Yours has plenty of memory and should be adequate.
I recommended turning off the "shadow files" as I can see from your image attachment that generation was still in process and that will take system resources. Thanks for adding the screen capture of the timeline and the DXDIAG...it really makes it much easier to recommend a solution.

Also, when installing a new video driver, it is not necessary to remove the old one. That used to be the case, but card manufacturers no longer require it, as the old driver REMAINS on the machine, in case you have to "rollback" the driver for disaster recovery!! Like if the new driver is not compatible with your card!!!

I do see one thing I have no explanation for (see attached)....your display memory should be LARGER than your dedicated memory...like a combination of dedicated memory and shared memory.

Maybe someone else has seen this and can comment. It does seem that something is wrong...maybe it is the result of "shadow files" taking it up??? Hopefully it will resolve itself when you change the preferences.

We look forward to hearing from you.
[Thumb - Untitled-1.jpg]
 Filename
Untitled-1.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
224 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
313 time(s)

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 10. 2011 23:35

Lerey [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Fred. That is interesting about the display memory... I don't know what would cause that.

Also, if there is a way to manually assign some system memory to be used as video memory, maybe that will help?

I am busy with work for the next little bit, but as soon as I have time to work on my next project, I will post updates as to how it goes.

Thanks again for all the help.

Lerey
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Lerey,

I do not see Quicktime in your Dxdiag.txt file. Do you have Quicktime installed?

If you don't, then you need to install it. If you have Qucktime, you need to check for the latest version. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Same problem here & Tec support has not responded to my ticket there . . . Subject: PD9 Application Hang is out of control . . . Phone support was a joke even with a very simple question to test them. ESL was also a big problem there.

Hope we can figure it out here before I uninstall PD and go to back to Primer redoing hours of editing in two projects 1/2 complete . . .

Running: PowerDirector Ultra64 9.0.0.2702

PD9 just seems to be getting worse and worse with each update for my vary capable i5 win7 64 system with an ATI HD 5700 that has all the latest drivers.

Have instaled all patches.

Had some lock ups on an earlier project, but on my latest 2 projects I am curently working on seem to lock up within 5 min or less of doing anything.

I now have to save after each edit step to make any progress if any at all. . .

Most of my clips are MP4 shot with a gopro HD in 720p or 1080P or jpegs. The program hangs while editing when selecting a clip or transition, sweeping the time line bar, and playing back previews.

Are all the Nvidia updates destroying ATI capabilities?
I suspect i-tunes conflict maybe as that messes with my powerDVD playback some times (but only when the iPod is plugged in . . . without a reboot).

or is something else going on?

Thanks

Filename
SDR-DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
37 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
440 time(s)
 Filename
SDR_4-11_PowerDVD9AppHang.zip
[Disk]
 Description
Event Log
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
505 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
SDR,
From your diagnostic file:
------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 15.3 GB
Total Space: 76.2 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GN
"C" drive is where PD9 is installed to.

Minimum spec requires 60GB although 100GB is recommended to process High Definition footage per HDD (hard disc drive).

PD9's ReadMe document which you should have read and displayed immediately after installation of the program.
Section 10: # Minimal and Recommended System Requirements
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/downloadAttach/4356.page
Thanks
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2011 16:20

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Here is a MAJOR issue I see......

------------------------
Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
------------------------
Drive: C:
Free Space: 15.3 GB
Total Space: 76.2 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: INTEL SSDSA2M080G2GN

Yes I know that is an 80 gig SSD drive... but..... not that size for my primary drive.....and do video editing too..... the so called speed and benefits are really not worth it yet. A Google search for that model found lots of problems and fixes for a lot of things.

I would use one for my secondary drive (or third or 4th, I have 4 SATA ports) and would use it to store my current projects on just for the little bit of speed it gives. I can wait a minute for my Windows to start...

I am surprised you an do anything at all. You are out of disk space and cache breathing room. Especially when it come to video editing and rendering. You don't have enough drive space for windows and PD9 to cache your project. Most video rendering size while producing takes more space than you have left. Not to mention just do do editing. I have done avi files that were 25 and 30 gig....

Think about replacing that drive for at least a 600 gig (really cheap now days) or up to 2 TB. Is that 2 TB drive a USB?

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Apr 12. 2011 19:34

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Ok thanks,

My C drive is a SSD & I have a 2TB working file hard drive. (both SATA 2)

OS, rather large page file, & some high demand programs are on the C drive for the fast access time. All else is on the working drive.

My power director working folders (project files and source clips) are on the 2Tb drive.

This system is also our HTPC/ Living room Gaming PC and the more instant on was the driving factor to using a SSD for the Primary . . . Was hoping to use this system for awhile May need to rebuild a dedicated system again . . .

But untill that time; where does the required space need to be? Is it for the page file? Or where ever the Power director program resides? Or can I point to a working file folder on some specific drive?

Would PD9 be happier to live on another drive other than the C drive? and/ Or do I need to rebuild the C drive. . .

Thanks

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 13. 2011 00:35

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
No matter what you do, all your disk caching (page caching ect) will take place on your primary C drive. I keep the bare minimum I can on my C drive just so it does not clog up, and I have a 107 desktop program icons (not shortcuts to files) and I use ALL of them almost every day, and I have 45 gig used and 500 and some unused. All projects from all my programs, all data is never on my C drive if I can keep from it. The only exception is my one and only game I play because I have to use STEAM to maintain it, it is on my C drive all 9 gig of it.

Those SSD drives are nice, but just to gain a nano second in something running for me is not worth it, and they are not NEAR big enough yet for a primary drive use for people that live off their computers. For office work and a single piece of software like my wife does in her office they would work well.

Unless you can do something about your disk space I can't see you not having problems. Other than your hard drive you have a killer computer. Don't get me wrong, you also have a killer hard drive, just not big enough for what you are trying to do. Toshiba has a 512 GB SSD but... You are not the first person I have come across that has run low on disk space and you are experiencing the same issues.

Even the 200 GB series SSD's would probably work for you. It probably would for me also..... as long as you still keep data off of it like I do. When they get cheaper (and they will) and 64 bit has been out longer I will try both. (tried 64 bit in the 7 beta went back to 32 bit).

By the way.... you should NEVER only have one hard drive. The USB drives work very well. My first one was made from a kit. Still have the first interface board I built. Still works but it is USB .5

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2011 21:26

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
[Post New]
Yes we run one steam game as well (dirt2) for a whapping 10K of disk space on the C . . . Not much else is on it . . . other than PD9 & PDVD.

Not USB drives, both drives are SATA 2. The 2 TB drive serves as Working files, ~ short term DVR storage, and low use program file location. Media, music and back up are served up on from an NAS raid.

Have 4 more SATA ll and 2 SATA lll open in the System, so it looks like it is time to Up the C drive size to get the full recommended disk caching needs met. Will let you know how it works out.

Thanks for the help!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 13. 2011 01:11

Lerey [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Everyone,

Lerey again.

Checked and I do have quick time. I didn't have the most up to date version, but I do now.

I played around with one of my projects for a couple minutes & it seems a bit more stable. But one of the times I went to save it, it froze on me. So 1 time in about 5 minutes, better than usual!

However, I still think there is something else wrong. Any other ideas? I will upload a new DXdiag file a little later.

Thanks in advance,
Lerey
[Post New]
OK, I am also back for another round . . . and Drive size is not the problem now.

I have tried many things short of reinstalling PD9 (9.0.0.2702) again after these updates. That will probably be next.

This is what I have tried so far with no improvement with any of the changes that were made incrementally: (Working on a project that had 12GB of HD clips as original source)
• Changed out the C drive for a 240GB SATA3 SSD with 160 GB free
• Installed latest MB BIOs
• Re installed latest ATI Drivers, CAPs, AMD Media Codec Package
• Changed Virtual memory from System managed to 1.5 times my 8GB RAM, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size.
• Used MSconfig to selective start-up . . .
• Updated QuickTime
• put QT to Audio & Video safe modes
• Disabled Norton virus protection
• Removed Smart Sound from Music track.
• Stopped auto logging into director central
• Changed the C drive to a 400GB SATA1 HD with 320 GB Free
• Changed play back settings down to normal playback
• Changed back to 240GB SATA3 SSD with 160 GB free

Still have the problem . . .

PD9 hangs usually at a clip transition on movie playback after a drag trim edit; or after adding a fade transition; closing a Gap after a save; Play movie post save after an edit at the next clip. The system will also hang after dropping a fade transition between two clips.

Any Ideas ???

Thanks
 Filename
SDR-4-27-11DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
39 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
401 time(s)
 Filename
SDR-4-27-11-EventLog.txt