Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Nothing but trouble with PD 9.0
Virginiann [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2010 21:50 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
I have had several people help me with my PD 9.0 upgrade and reinstall and everyone has been awesome and very VERY patient. I finally got it working.. I say working because it certainly is not working correctly. Now the audio does not match the video and I just want to sit down and cry. With weeks and weeks of working with this only to find out I still have to pull out Windows Movie Maker to get a video working at all correctly. I found an old copy of Pinnacle Studio I might give a try.

I know, I know, take a snap snot of direct x, which windows version am I using, send in a 10 sec clip, etc... honestly should a piece of software be so difficult to get working correctly? Is there anyway, I can just go back to 8.0? This is just too much to deal with and I don't have the brain power to do it.

Thank you all for you help.
Virginia

P.S. I didn't have any of these issues with 8.0

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2011 19:36

Running Windows Home Premium
Intel Dual Core P8600 2.40 GHz
4 Gig Ram DDR2
NVIDIA Graphics Card G Force 9600 GT
Graphics Driver: nvd3dum.dll 8.15.11.8640
Power Director 9.0 2702
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
A program of this nature is a complicated piece of machinery. With computers changing daily, it is difficult to make everything work without a hitch. Lots of people have no trouble with PD9. We just have to pin point why you are. You can go back to PD8, if that's what you decided is best for you. Why not start with what codec the video is using. Are you unlinking the audio from the video before it becomes out of sync? Windows 64-bit? __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Virginiann [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think that is most of my issue, I have no idea what you are asking. I thought I was fairly computer savy, but after messing with this software and what I have gone through these past couple weeks, I'm doubting even how to turn the dang computer on anymore. I just don't know the answers to your questions. I have no idea what a codec is. I am not unlinking anything from anything. How would I get my money refunded and go back to 8? This has been a complete nightmare. I just want to go back in time and pretend this never happened. I mean honestly I cried when after all that work we did and now this issue, it's never ending.

Thanks for listening, it's just too much for me to deal with anymore.

Thank you,
Virginia

Running Windows 64bit

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2011 19:37

4 Gig Ram DDR2
Power Director 9.0 2702
bestbass42
Member Location: Wolverhampton,England. Joined: Apr 01, 2011 10:22 Messages: 60 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have had several people help me with my PD 9.0 upgrade and reinstall and everyone has been awesome and very VERY patient. I finally got it working.. I say working because it certainly is not working correctly. Now the audio does not math the video and I just want to sit down and cry. With weeks and weeks or working with this only to find out I still have to pull out Windows Movie Maker to get a video working at all correctly.

I know, I know, take a snap snot of direct x, which windows version am I using, send in a 10 min clip, etc... honestly should a piece of software be so difficult to get working correctly? Is there anyway, I can just go back to 8.0? This is just too much to deal with and I don't have the brain power to do it.

Thank you all for you help.
Virginia

P.S. I didn't have any of these issues with 8.0

Hello there.
I Too had a few issues with PD9 at first although unlike you i never previously had any other CyberLink products.I Went straight from Windows Live Movie Maker to PD9. I Used to love WLMM,its simplicity was brilliant,you could get a movie done in no time. I Found PD9 daunting at first & then there was the crashing issues.However after a couple of days posting on here for help with my problems & advice i was soon producing excellent videos & getting them posted on youtube in a 1/4 of the time it took on WLMM!!!
My advice would be to hang on in there before going back to PD8.I Know how frustrating computers are & im by no means a computer geek-far from it,but ive found that its usually very minor things that cause issues with software,its just finding out what they are!!! There are some very,very helpful people on this site so if i was you i'd start as many threads as you need to to find out whats causing you to have problems with PD9-after all youve paid your money for CyberLink products & being able to use this forum is part of that so get your monies worth!!! Without the help ive received on this forum i'd of gone back to WLMM myself.Even if you think your being a pest just carry posting on as there are people on here who delight in sorting out these sort of problems.

Good Luck,
Richie. Cyberlink PowerDirector12 Ultra 64bit.

Alienware 18, 4th Gen intel Core i7, Windows 8.1

Apple iMac G5, 9 Years old & slow as a snail!!!

Sony HDR-CX360VE

Sony Cyber-Shot DSCW200.

Nikon D750.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX FQ360.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Virginia,

Video editing has a large learning curve with new words, techniques, software etc. It takes time to learn it all, just take your time and if there is anything you don't understand, honestly Google/wikipedia will find everything from what a codec is to finding a spare part for your car. It is an amazing resource and only a keyboard click away.

Stick with it and also realise though sometimes your computer you are using may not be capable of doing everything you want to do, they are complicated buggers.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
Virginia, just a note to le you know that I empathize with your situation 100%. My bachelor's degree is in computer science, but nothing can prepare you for the video editing world. The technology is new, but you feel really good inside after you've produced your first video. My first exposure to video editing was with PD8 in 2009. I now have PD9 and still have done nothing more complicated than brighten a video and adjust colors. But when you consider that the videos we're producing at home with Power Director are of better quality than what Hollywood studios produced as late as the 1970's, it's understandable that there would be a steep learning curve. Heck, I've just now figured out what Codec filters are. Now, I need to learn how to get the ones recommended by this forum's moderator (FFD Show), and replace my existing Codec Video filters. Always a learning curve...but the results are worth it. Hang in there Virginia. Your attitude is great!
-Allen in Chicago
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I say working because it certainly is not working correctly. Now the audio does not match the video and I just want to sit down and cry.

Don't cry, PD9 is not worth getting that frustrated with.

Audio sync problems usually can be solved, we just have to know what is causing the out of sync problem.

How about posting a Dxdiag.txt file of your computer so that we in the forum can see what your computer environment is.

Part B and Part D
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Carl

She did here...

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/16331.page

Virginia

I have no problems with PD9 or any versions before. I render my project to file however I do not use PD to burn my master DVD. I use WMM for a couple of reasons. One is a particular menu that I use all the time, another is it will burn a DVD in half the time PD does and never fails. I normally need from 50 to 250 or so DVD's burned for my projects. I don't think I have ever made a single home movie for my home. I have done a bazillion for everyone else. Before all this video software craze I used Power Point. (with video)

After I make the Master DVD I use CDBurnerXP Pro (free) to burn all my DVD's because it is very fast.

Nothing says you MUST use PD to make all of your video....

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 09. 2011 13:00

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Dave212321 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 15, 2011 09:16 Messages: 125 Offline
[Post New]
Well if you can see what PD9 can do when it wants to work properly, I'd shed a tear or too. A little humor there Carl.

It is exhausting getting a production complete. Some of my voice clips seem to mysteriously move on me for no reason and I have to go through the whole time-line checking to make sure nothing has moved when doing the smallest changes. I lose confidence in the program.

I agree with Bubba, on using a separate disk making program. PD9 tries to be a jack of all trades and it thus does it in a mediocre fashion.

I'm going to give convert X to dvd a try and I have a few other options also.
Virginiann [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you all for you responses. I have done the Direct X diagnostics thing so much that I have the program pinned to my task bar. I have been using Power Director since version 7 and I have made over 350 videos posted to YouTube. I have never had the issues I am having now. I have updated my NVIDIA graphics card. Ran all the patches on 9.0 to I think 2702. My Windows 7 Home Premium is updated all the time. I may not have the best computer in the world but it has been doing very well up until that upgrade to 9.0. I am running a 64 bit version of 7. I have 4 gig of Ram my processor is a duo core Intel P8600 2.40GHz.

It's so funny to see on some signatures all this information and now I can see why. It is asked of you with each and every little question. That alone gets frustrating so I can see why people add it. I have asked questions like "is there a way to mute a clip"? and I get. Well first we need to know what kind of system you have, then we need you to run Direct X Diagnostics, then....

Holy cow I have been playing with computers since the DOS days thank goodness or else I would have shot myself with all these questions. What do the people do that have no idea how to answer these questions? I certainly hope they can afford to throw away the money it's going to cost in the long run when they find out it doesn't work on their machine. Now I know there is a trial version. But like I said. I've been using this product for 4 years now and it was working just fine until I went to 9.0. They won't refund my money and I can't use it. I've worked and worked at it and it's just a mess.

Thank you all again for you responses. I just haven't taken the time to uninstall and reinstall 8 yet. I've uninstalled and reinstalled 9.0 3 times! The last time I forgot to install the second part and I was missing all the titles, PIP, etc... I had to come back here again and ask what the heck I did wrong and someone told me about the second part of the program! You would think after doing it three times it would have come automatically! I am so exhausted and I'm so discouraged. 9.0 looked like there was some great features. I also bought something else with it, for the life of me I can't remember some package that is useless as well unless it works with 8.0.

Blessings, Virginia

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 14. 2011 13:27

4 Gig Ram DDR2
Power Director 9.0 2702
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Virginia,

In my opinion.....

Your system spec for HD editing are inadequate - it is for PD8 as it is for PD9. Yeah, you'll get by if you're careful with shadow edit file generation (it has to complete the task) and you will be ok for 720p (HDlite). But for straight HD (unrestricted editing) general multi media track, multiple application of effects, rendering etc your system is weak. The weakness shows up even more when you have W7 64bit running on a system like yours. PD9 uses all resources and you don't have enough.

We ask for specific information right at the beginning to make our lives easier and not having to repeatedly ask the same question over and over again. On some forums if you don't provide basic data your post is ignored. Here, we try and help.

My signature is full of links.

Thanks
Dafydd
[Moderator]

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Virginia,

I just want to pop in here to compliment you for your last post.
You gave voice to views/opinions in a civilized (and humoristic!) manner, pinpointing some things
that are maybe worth giving some thought and reflection.

Making videos and editing should be fun, meaningful and for some give opportunity to use
their creativity. An editing-program has to fit the computer you work on, and vice versa,
but we tend to forget that people use software differently.
The black/white description would be, that some only use the "ready-magic" features, and some
want to explore the software and stretch it to its limit in possibilities.
Some find their way to get their program to work nicely and do the same thing(s) over and over again,
others find fun and meaning in expanding knowledge of what can be done.

It's not especially encouraging to be presented with ; you don't have the right specs, the wrong codecs,
the wrong graphic card, too little memory, there's nothing wrong with anything except in your end
of the rope....
And yes, you get very tired when you have to use a lot of energy- and then don't succeed.
But yes, some people use a lot of energy- and succeed! - "with a little help from their friends."

For a number of computers, the patch 2702 has fixed things, to some extent.
For other computers (like mine, and others I know of), 2702 "fixed" things alright, but in
a more messy way. Thus, I rolled back to 2330.

Nina

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Virginiann [Avatar]
[Post New]
Again, I would like to thank everyone for respond to my concerns. I have been treated with much kindness as well as with much condescending, curt comments. I completely understand the answering the same questions over and over again does get quiet old, however if this is the position you have placed for yourself then you know the bad comes with the good.

@Dafydd I do not know what Shadowing is and my program worked fine with 8.0. I liked the simplicity of PowerDirector. It was very easy to use and I am not a computer wiz heck I don't even know what a codec is. Does every person who purchase this program know what those things are? I just knew I could make some cool videos with cool little things flying around or a cute frame. I like the way I could make text fly in and out or in a round circle. That's all. I know the program does much more but like I said I"m not a computer wiz I just would like to go back and pretend all of this go away. It has been a nightmare and I have to say that I have run across some really nice people on this board and some real meaners.

I'll try not to bother you with my questions anymore. I'm sure there are plenty of other more patient people out there that are willing to assist this older lady.

Blessings to you,
Virginia Running Windows Home Premium
4 Gig Ram DDR2
Power Director 9.0 2702
MarvinRivera2011 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Honolulu Joined: Apr 22, 2011 06:35 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I am very new and first time to use PD9. I understand the need to look up at that diagnostic thing. I just now realized how.... difficult this program is turning out to be for other users. Also noticed some quick answers poiting at your "Obsolete" hardware have been said rather quickly. I also remember how fast Windows 3.1 ran on a 486 machine running without a match coprocessor and only 4 megabytes of memory and how bad and slow windows 95 ran on a pentium with mutiple times the power and memory. Having a slower machine should onlymean running slower, logically speaking, but here we have errors burning a DVD... now I could go back and do that with a pentium one or even lesser machine so why do we need twin 3.2 megaherts CPU's to do such mundane tasks?

Yes I could burn the video (intensive operation) into a file and then have PD9 choke and crash burning it into a DVD still. In the meantime, other programs..(I am using some free ones this morning) are burning the same mpeg file created by PD9 file to DVD fast and without all these "your machine is obsolete" comments glitches, slowdowns, freezing, rebooting etc.

I became disastisfied after someone made a coment to me on a previous posting of mine. I took it to the heart. Now I lost faith and wonder why, we, the consumer have to go through all this process.

Lets make a point here. You dont need gigaherts of CPU power or Gigabytes of memory to burn a DVD into a disc. Once the mpeg file is generated the rest should be a piece of cake.

I do know that if a good program fails is because a minor issue and I do understand the need to look at the Diagostic file. Hey your Video card needs an updated driver! sure... Hey your processor is pushing along with only 2 gigabites of memory! well that would certainly slow things down. Specialy with gigantic files. How many of you have processed 300 megabite TIFF files in phothoshop with only 2 gigs of memory? The program runs flawlesly... but it takes a while to process noise reduction and other cpu intensive operations but IT WORKS! it gets the job done before you "start to decompose"

Thats my point. If the code is done properly is should work. You may start to decompose while waiting for the program to complete task without a God Like speed of the Intel Core i7 with 60gigabytes of memory but it will eventually get the job done because the program is coded properly and it works. I read that your hardware is antiquated... hmmmm I wonder if this is only an excuse to hide the fact that the program may not be upto the task yet.

I too became frustrated with it and I would not be surprised if my postings get deleted however but not for being rude but for being somewhat skeptick about this blog and program.

I will refrain to post any more of my thoughts here since some gentleman here dedicate their time to help others. They seem to spend a lot of time helping on a daily basis. Even though I was told this blog is not run by Cyberlink... I think it should be so they get more involved in the issues and perhaps be more pro-active at fixing the growing pains every software manufacturer goes through every year.

My thoughts to you hardworking pros and knowledable Gents. Be more polite before you shot someone down with the dreaded *your rig is old* comments. We dont live to update our computers every time Intel or Nvidia produces a new and faster piece of hardware. our Rigs could easily be two and four years old with processors running the the Low Megaherts that are more than adequate to burn a mundane DVD. If the program runs too slow trust me I would be the first one to visit the computer store. Now when I see crashes and errors... I dont inmediatelly say your computer is too old.. there most be something incompatible or maybe there is a probability that our rigs have a defective memory chip? or faulty power supply that only shows the problem under load? (read here processing a video file) etc.

When I tell tech suppor I have error number... ########## they should already have it in their database and tell me.. oh it it was generated because our program stopped a this point due to.... you get my point? as opposed to Let me see your diag file so I can see how fast your computer runs.. It should be more like... may I see your diag file? we need to check if there are any malfunctions in your rig to begin with and well take it from there... Now thats more customer support like.

At this early point if my futile search to make PD9 work I am begining to suspect a programming deficiency overall. I dont really blame it on your rig unless is so outdated that it would take a decade to upload and preview a dvd video. It should not crash though... just be slower than I... ( now thats slow).

Cheers and Thank you for those who listened to me.

I will not post any more of my thoughs here. I wil only concentrate on making this thing work.

Update.. in my rig PD9 has been uptated, Direct X is at its latest update, I am running with 4gigs of memory and a 3.2 Gig Twin processor. I installed and reinstalled PD9. it works fine but it will not burn a DVD so I resorted to test some Free programs and they work fine. That does not fix the problem but it goes to show there is no problem burning a dvd with my current computer.

Marvin
MarvinRivera2011 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Honolulu Joined: Apr 22, 2011 06:35 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have a correction to make. When I said I will not post any more of my thoughts.. what I meant is "my personal opinions" here.

I do intend to read and ask questions in this board again. Only the technical questions. To avoid to accidentally offend or disagree with another member of this board whom may very well have the anwer to my questions.

Thanks

Marvin
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Marvin,
I hope you read my answer.
Writing a DVD is a mundane task for video editing software - you're right.

PD9 has "moved on" a true 64bit program. Editors with low end spec PC's, trying to function with old drivers, really do need to update. The editors here have attempted to assist you and tried to get from you the information they require. I don't think you did in the end.

Please provide all the information asked for, without it we can not help you.
Instructions on how to provide the data can be found in the guides (links provided below) and at the beginning of the PowerDirector 9 forum.

Please contact Technical Support - look through the links provided below.

I wish you well.

Cofion gorau
Dafydd