Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
VHS video capture
threshold [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 03, 2011 20:19 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I have Windows 7 64 bit and PowerDirector 9, what USB 2 VHS video capture device is compatible - Hauppauge Live-2 or what?

Thx,
Dennis
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dennis

Welcome to the forum

We encourage new members to use the search function and a quick search has revealed over 150 queries about your query

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/jforum.page?module=search&action=search&search_keywords=vhs+video+capture&match_type=all&search_forum=&sort_by=relevance Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dennis. Some of us, me included, encountered some problems with PD9 capturing from analog tape sources: Hi8 and VHS. I purchased a dedicated software/hardware app that I have been using very successfully for five months now. I then import the captured .mpg2 files into PD9 and do my projects there. The capture app I use does have the ability to produce and burn, but it doesn't have the capabilities of PD9.

Understandably, Cyberlink does not welcome advertising for competitor products, but if you Private Message me, I will pass on the details of what I use, if you are interested.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Cyberlink does not welcome advertising for competitor products, but if you Private Message me, I will pass on the details of what I use, if you are interested.

The software / hardware you use to capture your video to your PC isn't a ''competitor'', so there's no harm in posting the information and links here on the forums, as many others have done before.

If you are not happy about posting it in the public domain, I would also appreciate you letting me know the gear you use . . . Thanks :
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
VHS capture is a real challenge. There are two big issues, the color information (smearing, bleeding, pixel walk ... what ever you call it, it is how the original information was put on tape) and the jiggles or timing of each line of video (time base correction is usually required to get good quality captures). Get an SVHS play deck if possible (they often have a built in TBC on many of the Panasonic models) The cheap Walmart ones usually do not. Capture in as high a resolution as possible with the lowest loss (I capture to DV using an ADVC-300 which has both video proc (corrects color) and TBC which can be adjusted while capturing ... but this set up costs). While PD9 is the best editor, I still process first with VirtualDub and FlaxenVHS filter (keep in RAW (uncompressed video) if you have the disk space. Then bring that raw footage into PD9 for the hollywood portion.

You can't put the image quality back into the VHS, but you can minimize the loss as you edit. Avoid re-encoding until the last step. PD9 can do some stunning things! RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
Trevor George
Member Location: Bristol, UK. Joined: May 29, 2010 17:44 Messages: 80 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I capture to DV using an ADVC-300 which has both video proc (corrects color) and TBC which can be adjusted while capturing ... (but this set up costs)

You're right it costs

But it's got -> some great reviews . . . . or the same link in dollars

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05. 2011 15:56

Trevor . . My YouTube site . . (Bristol, UK) . . My JVC GZ-HM1 Camcorder
Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
when you are trying to save memories (15-20 year old) videos of the kids, you pull out all stops.

I have hours of sky and grass with audio, the rare moments I was on target and in focus require the very best processing I can get.

I tried the low end digitizers and they just produced junk when you project then on big flat screens.

Some of the footage was shot with 8mm film, projected on livingroom wall and filmed with VHS camera. You get flicker, lighting and sync all in one package. But 5-6 hours of processing and I got decent footage of two of my kids being born (better memories than the real thing at times)

That is what got me into this hobby/passion/obsession in the first place.

If you are working with PAL, you get a liitle more quality as it records more vertical resolution, but all the color and jiggles are still there.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 05. 2011 16:12

RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
threshold [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 03, 2011 20:19 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Thx everyone for the info, I'll check these out.

Cheers,
Dennis