Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Re: "Create a DVD folder"
Richard1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2007 18:09 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Have PD6 and the red user guide manual- read "Create DVD folder" and created a folder. Now I can't find any instructions on how to burn a disc from the folder. Tried about 50 things but all my guesswork was wrong. Does anybody know where the instructions would be OR how to burn from the DVD folder? Is the info anywhere in the red book???
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Richard,

I haven't read the "red book"...

What you need to have is a disc writing software (dws)
1. Open your dws
2. Click and drag the folders VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS from your Created DVD folder into the dws.
3. Now burn your DVD

If you'd opted to Create a Disc using PowerDirector you wouldn't have to go this route.

Dafydd
Richard1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for that Dafydd- I wish the "big red book" said that.
What my guess is, is that when you make a "DVD folder" you are making it from the ready rendered program, and therefore would take half the time to burn henceforth (just a guess, of course, because the book doesn't say that EITHER). And I thought if I chose to burn from that folder, PD would be actually taking care of it. If one wants to make multiple copies it would save A LOT of time! How accurate am I? And... would Nero be able to handle the folder?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Richard,

I'm not "keen" on Nero, I use Power2Go 5.5 Next Gen .... However you should have no problems burning the information with that disc writing software and multiple discs depends upon the capabilities of Nero.

"it from the ready rendered program, and therefore would take half the time to burn henceforth" ummm not exactly.

You are doing one stage of the process when you Create to Folder (it's a method I still have a habit of using) and by doing this you place less "strain" on your CPU and also less risk of an error occurring from the Time-line write process to Disc. It's a method adopted more when CPU's were less capable and when creating "toasters" from the discs more frequent.

The process then just involves transferring the data to disc.

Hope that explains it a bit more in layman's terms.

Dafydd
PS
Remember to join up with other PowerDirector Video Editors
http://seemyworldonvideo.com/signup.php
Richard1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, clearer, thanks. So, when I use Nero to burn, the video will still have to be "rendered" by Nero before burning it?

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Richard,

Nero only transfers the data you've created with PowerDirector (those two folders mentioned).

The term "rendered" applies to the process carried out when you change a video format to another and in so doing you compress the size down to a smaller megabyte. Please do not use the term "rendered" to describe writing a disc from produced data - it doesn't apply.

Basically you have:
1. used PD to create.
2. the folders contain all needed DVD data (if you did this task correctly in PD) - menu and the vob files (video).
3. when this data is burnt onto a disc and the disc placed in a standalone or your PC's DVD drive it will auto play.

The "rendered" process is when the video in the PD time-line is changed to the vob files. The video in the time-line can be a variety of video formats.

Hope the extra info helps

Dafydd
Richard1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you. So if I create a video file in avi and it turns out to be some 15GB large and then I pick "magic fit" to fit into a 4.7GB disc, the book says "....be prepared for a short wait while Power Director RENDERS your movie". Am I understanding it wrong, because this is exactly the way I am burning discs here. (rendering = compressing) no?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes... that is correct.

The avi file would have been edited in PowerDirector, you should have added Menu's and Chapters. The video in the time-line has been shortened, music added, titles inserted, all snippets of extra data. Finally the video is ready to render to a DVD - either directly to a disc or a Folder. The smart fit option selected at this time will "shrink the video to fit" a 4.7 disc.

Your previous use of the word render to fit Nero of an already process data didn't apply - that's all.

Dafydd