Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Firewire vs S-Video picture quality
Trevor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 01, 2007 20:44 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hi guys.

I'm told that firewire is the best quality that can be used for transfering video from the cam ( handycam ) to my pc. Yet all my transfers from analoge S-Video have better pic quality. ( colors have warmer tones. Truer colors.) The firelink seems to have a haze or something in it. I will say for sure that the audio is much better when transfering digitally. I know there could be quite of few reasons why and have tried all of the obvious ones. I'm looking for a reason that might be not so obvious. Even tried a different wire just in case the new one out of the box was bad.

Thank you.
Trevor [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 26, 2007 08:44 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I gave up on this for a few months now but I'm back at it again trying to figure it out. I've read. searched and tried different things. Everybody says that digital is superior. The audio is excellent but the vid quality is not crisp or near the s video quality. I have a sony dcr hc 96. It must be some sort of setting or something. If someone can help I'll give details on what settings I'm using. What do you need to know??...... Desperate to go digital.
David [Avatar]
Newbie Location: England Joined: Dec 09, 2007 19:18 Messages: 45 Offline
[Post New]
There may be some confusion here. Firewire is just the name for the IEEE 1394 interface. Basically it's a type of serial connection like USB/USB2. It doesn't have anything to do with video quality.

I don't know that camera so I can't make any suggestions, but for anaolgue video, the quality of video signal in decending order is roughly.

1.) Component
2.) RGB
3.) S-Video
4.) Composite

So if you are only getting a composite signal when using firewire, but an S-Video signal when using I presume an S-Video lead, that might explain the difference.