Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I7 Dual Core or Quad Core?
J_Palmer_Cass [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 08, 2010 12:19 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I am going to purchase a new PC in the near future, but I am getting confused about processors. My base line choise is between two processors at the moment. Money wise it is not a big difference.

1. I7-2630 QM quad core processor

2. I7-2620 M dual core processor

The quad core (QM code) has a clock slower speed relative to the dual core (M code), and both have a turbo mode.

Any advice on what processor PowerDirector 8 and 9 are optimized for?
MikeB54 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 06, 2009 14:51 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I am pretty sure that there is no specific processor that PD is specifically optimized for.

Even though the clock speed on the 2630QM is 2.0GHz vs 2.7 on the 2620M, I think 4 Cores and 8 Threads are better than 2 Cores and 4 Threads.

The turbo speed is close 2.9 vs 3.4
[Post New]
I agree with Mike on this one. Video editing is so memory, processing intensive, that you should go for the best you can afford in terms of processor and RAM hardware.

Windows 7 64 bit, i7 980x @333 6 core processor, 12 GB ram DDR 1600, Radeon 5850 GPU Power Director 8 Ultra.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2011 19:12

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Ditto Elwood & MikeB!

This chart shows both CPUs compared with others. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

The quad core is ranked 32 & the dual core 134.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 24. 2011 23:19

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
MikeB54 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 06, 2009 14:51 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
Hey Tony,

That is really a great chart, although it doesnt show these 2 processors exactly, it is still very good on showing the many different procesors available!

Every techie should Bookmark this Link!

I might also add that, If anyone is considering doing video production, you should consider getting the fastest most powerfull processor and memory capacity you can affford.

Or, face the consequences!!

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Just one comment about memory, I have 6 gig of ram in my machine and rarely and I mean very rarely ever get over 4 gig used let alone the full 6 gig.

This may change as software gets better and better at utilising the available memory but I think 6 gig is the sweet spot at the moment. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike -

Maybe I'm mistaken

Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.0GHz
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2630QM+%40+2.00GHz

Intel Core i7 2620M @ 2.7GHz
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-2620M+%40+2.70GHz

Cheers - Tony

The Passmark site has many interesting comparison charts & tests.
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
J_Palmer_Cass [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks a lot.

There is a modest upcharge to go to an i7-2720QM. Either quad core should be more than adequate for my needs.

J_Palmer_Cass [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Just one comment about memory, I have 6 gig of ram in my machine and rarely and I mean very rarely ever get over 4 gig used let alone the full 6 gig.

This may change as software gets better and better at utilising the available memory but I think 6 gig is the sweet spot at the moment.

Yes, I was wondering about that issue. I am looking at the memory options. The base setup is 4 gig. Every 2 gig added is $60. A mosest amount as compared to adding more memory later on.

Are you running Windows 7 64 bit?
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Yes I am running Win7 64 bit after I found out that a 32 bit edition of windows will only allocate a maximum of 2 gig to any one program no matter how much ram is in your computer. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
J_Palmer_Cass [Avatar]
[Post New]
I suppose we should talk about video boards on this thread. That will put everything on one thread for people in the future.

The two options are:

Nvidia FeForce GT 550M 1 GB graphics with Optimus

Nvidia FeForce GT 555M 3 GB graphics with Optimus

Now there is a $150 jump to go the GT 555M.

There are more Cuda cores on the GT 555M and more video memory. However, is that overkill? From what I have read, this will not change rendering speeds.

What do I gain with the higher priced board? I do not play video games. 17" display.

Robert2 S
[Post New]
If you are talking about a lap top graphics card which the M I think means mobile, good luck. I know technology is improving every day but I would prefer a desktop for the extra grunt. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
J_Palmer_Cass [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am pricing things out two ways. Desktop and a cheap laptop, or just a better laptop. The same thought process should apply to either form factor.

This system will not be used as a full time dedicated video system. However, today I am running a P-4 2.4 GHz desktop. I can capture MPEG-2 quality just fine, but rendering and options like upscaling are slowwwwwwwww. Perfect for everything else that I do. Video stutters at times, but I do not watch movies on a PC.

A new laptop will smoke what I have now as far as video rendering and video enhancement options that PowerDirector performs. We are talking about 6 or so videos a year!

Anyhow, the two video boards that I mentioned are too new to be listed on the video board benchmark list above.