Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Provide reset alias option for multiple selected media items
prs56 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 10, 2010 12:20 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Currently (PDR9 2702) provides the Reset Alias option only for single selected media items in the media library and the timeline. This seems unnecessarily restrictive as a multiple media item selection would just define the set of items for which the Reset Alias operation would be performed separately. I can understand why the Change Alias operation might not be eligible, as timeline items may refer to different media items which should have different aliases (but does that really matter, and is that enforced singly?).

Here is a situation where I would make use of this capability.

I create a raw clips project for a captured video camera file. I extract the audio. I apply Multi-Trim to the whole track to detect the scenes and split the track where there are actual scene changes. I save the raw clips project. I then perform audio processing on the extracted audio to get a cleaned up file. (Noise reduction, normalize, compression, as needed - applied to contiguous scenes with the same audio environment.)

I create a produce clean audio project for the same captured video camera file. I apply Unlink Objects to the captured audio/video and delete the audio track. I import and add to the timeline the cleaned up audio file, then produce a clean audio (with video) file.

I then rename (or relocate) the original captured file and open the raw clips project. Since PDR9 can't find the file, it prompts me to Browse, Ignore or Ignore All. I Browse and select the clean audio (with video) file, which of course has a different name. Since the time lengths of the two files are identical, all the previously specified clip splits still apply. I use Reset Alias in the media library on the clean audio file and PDR9 correctly resets the alias for the name of the current file. I do the same on each clip (separately for the video and audio portions) on the timeline and PDR9 correctly resets the alias for the name of the current file.

Now I save the project as the produce clean project. Then I set about cleaning up the video, on a scene (clip) basis with the clips already defined, and the audio cleaned up.

However I have to apply Reset Alias twice for every defined clip. Not bad for a few clips. Bad for tens of clips.

What do you think? Ever run into this kind of situation? There have been other circumstances where I've changed the name of a file and would like to change all corresponding aliases. Depended on how many times I would have had to do it. Regards, Peter
NicolasNY
Senior Contributor Location: Caracas Joined: Sep 28, 2008 17:49 Messages: 805 Offline
[Post New]
Nine years have passed since you proposed this good suggestion and you have not been taken into account. See if Cyberlink developers take into account this small but powerful change and include it in their updates since version 9+.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Nine years have passed since you proposed this good suggestion and you have not been taken into account. See if Cyberlink developers take into account this small but powerful change and include it in their updates since version 9+.

I'm unclear why you're commenting on this ancient post, especially since the workflow that OP described can be handled without any need to produce interim clips in newer versions of PD.

For example, you can use the Precut feature to select the desired scenes, and you can change the alias of each precut as desired.

Once the precut sections are moved to the timeline, you can use the built-in Audio Editor (or AudioDirector if you've got Director Suite) to directly process the audio as desired.

When you're finished with the audio processing, exiting the audio editor will return to PD which will automatically replace the original audio with the new version. There's no need whatsoever to produce the clips before continuing with the main project, and therefore no issues will occur with PD being unable to find the interim clips. All the original precut clips (and their aliases) will remain intact.

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°