Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Distrubance at transition points of edited AVCHD 1920x1080 24Mbps video - Can't find cause!
[Post New]
Hello,

I am posting because of a problem that I am having with the PowerDirector-9 64 Bit software. I purchased a very high end computer specifically to use with this software to take advantage of the 64 bit architecture and I am having a problem that should not be occurring.

My computer specs are as follows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name TKEEG-HP
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HPE-490t
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 970 @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 6.10, 9/16/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name tkeeg-HP\tkeeg
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 12.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 9.21 GB
Total Virtual Memory 24.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 20.6 GB
Page File Space 12.0 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

As you can see I have a powerful system with a 6 core-12 thread processor, a solid state hard drive, 12GB of ram and a 2TB storage drive, on which this product should work perfectly. I am producing video with the Canon Vixia HF S100 HD camcorder, recording the AVCHD video files in 1920x1080 at 24Mbps. I place a few clips in the timeline and render them using the SVRT function, producing my finished video in the AVCHD 1920x1080 at 24Mbps format. In almost every place where I use a transition, there is a disturbance in the video picture. Sometimes it is just blocky artifacts, sometimes the picture begins to break and sometimes it goes to a mostly black screen. These anomalies only occur at, or right near, the transition points and only last for a second or so.
If I go back and render the same video clips without using any transitions, they render fine with no disturbances.

I sent this information to their tech support department and was told the following:

"Dear Thomas,
Thank you for contacting CyberLink Technical Support.

Please follow the steps below to resolve the issue you are facing:

1. Start Windows in Selective Startup mode.

a. Click on Start.
b. Click on Run.
c. Type msconfig and click on OK.
d. A System Configuration Utility window will come up.
e. On General tab, select Selective Startup.
f. Uncheck "Load Startup Items".
g. Click on Apply.
h. Click on OK.
i. Click on Close.
j. It will ask you to restart your computer. Click on "Restart".

2. Increase Virtual memory :

a. Right click on "My Computer"
b. Select Properties -> Advance
c. Click on "settings” under Performance.
d. Select "Advance"
e. Click on "change" under Virtual memory.
f. Select "Custom" and enter new values.

NOTE: The recommended minimum size of Virtual memory is the same as 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.

If your existing settings are higher than recommended then leave them as before.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products."

I wrote them back asking for clarification of the values to put into the Minimum Virtual Memory box & the Maximum Virtual Memory box and they responded with this message:

"Dear Thomas,
Thank you for writing back.
In regards to your concern, I suggest you to put 18432 in the minimum value and 55296 in the maximum
value box. Please leave the boxes unchecked."

I performed the modifications that they suggested and it made no difference so I sent the following email back to them two different times so far with no responses.

"I made the changes that you specified in your earlier emails and increased the minimum Virtual Memory up to 18432 and the maximum Virtual Memory up to 55296, along with the changes in the Selective Startup mode. Unfortunately these changes made absolutely no difference at all, as I still have exactly the same problem.

I have included 3 screen shots so that you can see what is occurring in my edited video right at or near the scene transition points. Two of the photos show the disturbance and the 3rd photo shows a snapshot of the video without any disturbance.

Again, note that these disturbances only occur when I use transitions and I am editing with & to AVCDH 24Mbps files. If I edit, leaving out any transitions, the edited files render normally without these disturbances.

Please advise another solution to this problem.
Thank you,"

Since getting no further responses I began reading this forum looking for anyone having similar problems and came across a post where someone stated that they had to uninstall & reinstall the software to get rid of some glitches that were occurring. Last night I did just that, I uninstalled everything, cleared out the registry and reinstalled the program. Unfortunately my problem still remains.

If someone know the answer to this puzzle, please let me know. I have included the above mentioned screen shots so that you can see what I am talking about. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really like this program except for this problem.

Thank you!
Tom (tkeeg)
[Thumb - Video Distrubance-02.jpg]
 Filename
Video Distrubance-02.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
212 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
266 time(s)
[Thumb - Video Screen Shot - NO Distrubance.jpg]
 Filename
Video Screen Shot - NO Distrubance.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
331 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
264 time(s)
[Thumb - Video Distrubance-01.jpg]
 Filename
Video Distrubance-01.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
161 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
274 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13. 2011 15:48

twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
What transistion are you using? I will see if I can duplicate on my system. Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply.
I use mostly the FADE transition between my clips, however the disturbances did not occur on every one, but on most of them to varying degrees. I did try several other transitions and I had the disturbances on most of them as well but not all of them. I just don’t remember the names of the other transitions I tried. I’m still learning t his program and just grabbed a few other transitions at random to try to see if this problem was limited to only the FADE transitions and did not make notes of the other ones I tried. I find it very odd that the exact same video clips shows no disturbance when there is no transition used and if I render the video to a different format using the Fade transition, there is no disturbance in the edited playback.
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
I tried to duplicate your exact process using a fade transistion. Watch the short segment at full screen 1080P on the link to youtube I uploaded and see if you see something.
Click on the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MOUVvct1B8 Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
VGi [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 15, 2010 10:49 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
Hi tkeeg,

I have for a long time exactly the same problem with the same camera, same spec files, same transitions!!!

The only difference is that I use PD8 and my Sony Vaio laptop (Core2 duo P8700,@2,53MHz, 6GB Ram,W7x64).

I had the feeling that my Laptop is not powerfull enough, so I didn't use transitions at all but after reading your post I have to keep trying to find a solution...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 13. 2011 19:20

twincitybulldog
[Post New]
My suggestion is to download the newest graphics card drivers from the manufacturers web site This is most improtant!
Even if you have a new computer, it is important to have the absolute newest drivers from the manufacturer of your graphics card.
Do not rely on Microsoft to have the newest drivers. Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
[Post New]
Hello Twincitybulldog,

I checked out the YouTube video that you posted . Only when watching it on full screen mode could I detect a very slight degradation/pixilation of the video as the fade to black was about half way completed.

When I use the Fade transition as you did, in just fading to black, I have pretty good results. similar to yours, however for me the problem come in when using it as a Fade In from black and when using the Fade transition to switch between video clips. That is when the disturbances show up for me.

My computer is only 2 months old and when I had it custom built I had the Nvidia GeForce GT 420 video card installed, which I believe is one of the ones that is optimized to work with PowerDIirector9. I followed your suggestion and checked with the manufacturer of the video card. I found out that the driver version I had installed was from 7-11-10 and that new version came out on 1-18-11 which I am in the process of downloading. Their server is VERY SLOW and it is telling me that it will take 1hr. & 45 min. to download the driver.

I'll continue this tomorrow. I'll post whether the new driver fixes the problem or not and if not, then I'll make up a sample video and post it on YouTube and place the link here so you can see the disturbances that I am talking about.

Once again, thank you for your interest and help !

@VGi,
I'm sorry that you are having the same problem, but I'm also glad that I am not alone in this. Hopefully with several people putting their heads together we can find the cause & solution.
I really like this software and would like to keep using it, (especially after buying the product), but if I cannot find a fix for this, I'll have to move on to another editing platform.

Best Regards,
Tom
twincitybulldog
[Post New]
I don't use transistions in my videos hardly ever I think. Maybe some of the other members can post what they do. The only time I use transistions is dealing with photos.
I posted a link using cross transistions. See what you think about this. Click on the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2YMFV_ss4Y Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
If your latest video drivers are 266.58 you may find artefacts in the finished video when choosing hardware acceleration when producing. Driver 260.99 works fine.

You computer is just a bit more powerful than mine I have a GTX460 in sli and I find the hardware acceleration does not make a lot of difference so I have stuck with the latest drivers and don't use the hardware acceleration until the drivers are fixed.

It might be worth turning off the hardware acceleration to see if helps.

Welcome to the exciting and sometimes frustrating world of video editing.

Cheers

Rboert2 S

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
If you wish to remove your video GPU from rendering ensure that you DESELECT (therefore override) the "Fast video rendering technology" option in the produce window. You have to watch carefully for this because PD9 will change this after you select your destination folder and file name. The rendering will take longer but it will be the best that PD9 can offer. Win 10, i7
VGi [Avatar]
[Post New]
I tried what HDedit proposed (No SVRT) and he was right! No distortions at least in my first clip with 5 Fade transitions.
The bad news : the clip now takes X8 the actual time to be produced in my Vaio!!!
Not very productive isn't it?
I hope there is a better solution.....

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Can you send us a DXdiag file from your PC ? (See first page of this forum). Win 10, i7
VGi [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here you go!
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
359 time(s)
All vodi
[Post New]
Thank you. Your dual-core PC will take longer on HD content. I suggest you also try overriding PD9's SVRT selection by clicking on "Hardware acceleration" instead. The rendering should be faster but may not be as good a quality. Win 10, i7
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
VGi: As HDedit has said (beat me to the post), your Vaio CPU is underpowered, particularly for HD video editing. I would seriously consider upgrading to a more powerful computer.

This link provides PD9 requirements: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/requirements_en_CA.html

With hardware acceleration disabled, your CPU has do it all, as I understand it.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
VGi [Avatar]
[Post New]
HDedit, thank you for your help.
As I said I use PD8 (I know I am in PD9 forum but trying to find a solution to my problem I discovered this thread with exactly the same problem)

Now a new fact to make things more complicated:
The distortions in transitions in my case, are very visible when the clips play through my Sony S370 DVD Player or my Dreambox 800 HardDisk.
Playing from a PC with Windows Media Player no distortion at all!!!
Looks like the DVD player and the Dreambox "recognise" something between the files where the transition applied but the WMP ignores?

@garioch7:
If the problem is that my Vaio is underpowered (which is truth) then why Tkeeg's PC has exactly the same problems with transitions only?
And why when disabling SVRT, problem solved? It doesn't make sense to me.
Thank you for trying to help.
[Post New]
Hello,

I finally got a chance to get back online and catch up on what has been discussed in this thread and to add my recent attempts to solve this problem.

First off, I loaded the newest driver for my Nvidia GeForce GT 420 video card, which is version 266.58, which just became available on 1-18-11. I rendered a few video movie tests and now it seems as if I'm only getting the disturbances when fading in FROM black. Fading from scene to scene seems to be working pretty well now as is fading to black. But every time I fade into the video FROM black I get the disturbance.

I have tried every combination of with & without SVRT, the Fast Video Rendering Technology, with & without the Hardware Acceleration boxes checked and everything else that I can think of, and still this disturbance remains when fading into the video from black when editing from and to, AVCHD 1920x1080 24Mbps video.

I downloaded a short set of video clips onto YouTube, at this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBVDeJJN45U&hd=1 . After uploading it I remembered that YouTube does not process at 1920x1080 at 24Mbps, so the playback of the video is not a true representation of what is occurring on my system. The video you are seeing on the YouTube site is actually a 1920x1080 at 10Mbps AVI file which is how the PowerDirector-9 rendered & uploaded it when I selected "Full HD Quality 1920x1080" at the YouTube upload prompt in PowerDirector-9.

I rendered this exact same video as an AVCHD 920x1080 24Mbps file and tried to upload this format, unmodified, to YouTube WITHOUT using the PowerDirector to upload it. YouTube did not reject it, but their processing slowed the 40 second clip down so that it played for 64 seconds and kept jerking & freezing so badly that it was nearly impossible to view. I deleted that version since I would not help to identify this problem.

I have included a few more screen shots from the beginning of the test AVCHD 1920x1080 24Mbps video where the video fades in from black. You can pretty much see the progression of the distortion & pixilation in the photos as it moves across the screen from the bottom to the top. . Bear in mind that this photo progression does not do the problem justice as it looks much worse when in motion as it rolls up the screen.
@Robert2 S,
You mentioned the different drivers in your post. Do you know if the 260.99 driver that you mentioned is compatible with my graphics card & if so where can I download it? Also do you know the release date for that driver? I just want to make sure it is not the dsame one I just updated. And last, do you think that this older driver may solve my problem?

Again, thank you to everyone for their ideas & suggestions!
Tom
[Thumb - Video Distrubance-C.jpg]
 Filename
Video Distrubance-C.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
156 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
305 time(s)
[Thumb - Video Distrubance-B.jpg]
 Filename
Video Distrubance-B.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
171 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
294 time(s)
[Thumb - Video Distrubance-A.jpg]
 Filename
Video Distrubance-A.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
170 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
296 time(s)
[Post New]
I forgot to ad, that if you look at the YouTube link, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBVDeJJN45U&hd=1 , even though it is no longer an AVCHD 1920x1080 24Mbps file, if you watch the video in full screen mode and change the playback resolution to 1080P you will see the distortion & blocky artifacts in the very opening scene as it fades in from black.
twincitybulldog
[Post New]
Is it just me! I looked at your YouTube video and am I blind, I can not duplicate the images you supplied in watching the video.
I looked it frame by frame and I did not see anything. In the cross transition I saw the images going into the transition for the previous shot, but isn't that normal.
The video looked almost perfect to me. Maybe I'm missimg something.
Do the semi-professional use transitions in their videos? I use Vimeo which is more of a professional web site and watch the HD videos posted and I see very few transitions in there videos. Or am I old, and can't see to good, which is possible.
Maybe get some input from other members to help us sort out this problem.
Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 14. 2011 18:17

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Edition.
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
You talked about youtube slowing down your video.....are you shooting interlaced video?

I had a problem a couple of years ago with youtube doing the same thing and it was only happening when uploading interlaced video.

There was also a problem I think with PD7 that if you wanted to produce 1920X1080 you could only produce interlaced video, there was no option for progressive.

Just do a check with "mediainfo" a free program that gives you all the information you need about what you video is made of. Many of the editors here use it. There is a 32 bit and 64 bit version.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en/Download My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn