Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Very slow authoring
migstradamus [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 12, 2009 19:15 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I upgraded to PD9 Ultra64 a while back and mostly use it to edit and produce files for YouTube, DVDs being pretty close to obsolete around here these days. Generally happy with the software and the update. So it was a quite a surprise when I authored a DVD today and found PD9 to be much, much slower than its predecessors. I figured that with the new and newly 64-bit version it would be faster, if anything. The promised "blazing speed" was my main reason for upgrading, in fact, though I haven't noticed an improvement in producing.

Instead, it took 40 minutes to author a DVD with nine avi clips none longer than 12 minutes! (Burning was typically fast.) Crickey. I do all sorts of conversions, rips, and burns with other software (Wondershare, AOA, etc.) and have never seen anything this slow, unless it's HD. Which, btw, this project is not. In the end, since burning was fine, it took 45 minutes to author and burn 90 minutes of video. If this is normal I shall weep, but at least let me know there's not something wrong. This was on build 2504, and though I'll update to the newest one now I don't see anything in the changelog to indicates performance improvements.

My machine is a few years old, but it's no sluggard. Quad-core (Q9450), GeForce 9600, 8gb RAM, SSD system drive, 18x burner, Windows 7 64-bit. More to the point, the last two versions of PD authored discs faster than this, even with 3-4 hours of video and not the 90 minutes or so I've got here. That was on the same machine, both back with Vista and with Win7. PD9 is hitting all four cores, using 75-85% of available CPU power, so it's doing something. It's just doing it slowly. Any suggestions? I'm not using a fancy template or anything, just a standard one with nine chapters.

Off-topic, but getting animated banner ads in a program I paid good money for is obnoxious.

Thanks.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I can't really help you with your main problem as I too find PD9 slow - that's why I 'moved' back to PD8.

However, the annoying ads stating the obvious can be stopped using your anti-virus software (most of us use one, I use McAfee).

In McAfee I can block programs accessing the internet (PDR9exe) is the program that you may be able to 'ban'.

Good luck

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

[Post New]
Hello, I have the same problem!!
Any help from anybody will be appreciated.

I took me almost 24 hours to create just one DVD in low quality (4 hours of videoand and 20 chapters). When I tried to do it in HQ DVD format (no matter DVD space) It was 4% after 8 hs. The slowest process was always DVD authoring, not burning the disc.

My pc is quad core, 1.6 Ghz and 4GB of RAM, video card with 1GB of dedicated memory. Shouldn't it be faster?

I'm planning to do a full reinstallation of OS + PD9, but in the meantime, I'm trying to find a faster solution.

I found a workaround in the Quick Start Guide, last page, which may help, but I could not test it, yet. The guide says that it is convenient to edit the video, save it as one video file and then reopen it with PD to do DVD authoring and disc burning or use another software for disc burning ¿power producer, maybe?. Of course it's not a solution, just a workaround. As you say, a "blazing speed 64 bit, multicore optimized soft" like PD9 should be capable of doing editing and disc creation in the same project.

Please check if you want the Quick Start Guide, last page, title "Work Arounds"
at http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/userguide_en_US.html

Another issue I'm experiencing that's really anoying when positioning elements in a menu template (such as chapter titles), refreshing and dragging them last several seconds to show. It's another problem related to PD9 and DVD creation.

I also updated my video card driver and PD9 to last build 2703 but that did not solve the problem.

If I found another solution to this problem, I'll let you know through this forum and please if you find it, post it here.
Contacting technical support is also possible.

Regards, Eze Regards, Eze
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. The pros (not me, just a newbie) are going to need some more information to be able to help, I suspect. A dxdiag file and details of your project, transitions, titles, chapters, etc. would be really helpful, per the pinned message at the top of the forum. I read in one of these forums or somewhere that creating chapters uses 5GB of RAM

I just finished a project a few weeks back of old home movies, converted to VHS, that I then converted to .mpg2, edited in PD9 and burned to DVD SP. There was a lot of splitting and deleting of unsalvageable clips, video enhancement, subtitles, and chapters, etc. I was asking my DELL XPS 1645, with Intel i7 1.6 GHz with 8 GB of RAM to work hard, as hardware acceleration and SVRT and all of that stuff was turned off, based on advice I have gleaned from these forums. I started with PD9 last December so have never used previous versions, but I was pleasantly surprised that my 90 to 120 minute DVDs (there were 5 DVDs in the set) were authored and the first copy burned in about 90 minutes. When you think of what the computer is doing, particularly with video enhancement being invoked, it is modifying every frame and that's 30 frames a second for a standard DVD.

The lag after editing titles and such is indicative that your CPU is working hard. Video editing is the toughest thing you can ask a computer to do. Patience is a virtue if you don't have a top-line computer built for video editing. Just let it do its thing - it does get back to you in five or ten seconds.

Eze, I couldn't understand you when you said:
I took me almost 24 hours to create just one DVD in low quality (4 hours of videoand and 20 chapters). When I tried to do it in HQ DVD format (no matter DVD space) It was 4% after 8 hs. The slowest process was always DVD authoring, not burning the disc.

I freely admit I am a newbie, but I thought that the most you could get on a single layer DVD at HQ quality was just a little over an hour, and that is if you don't go overboard with chapters and other fancy stuff. You seem to imply that you did successfuly create the disc, although I can't figure out how you could get 4 hours of video and 20 chapters on one DVD burned at HQ? Perhaps that is why authoring stalled ... or did you burn to folder?

Personally, I am very happy with the performance of PD9. I burned a one-hour video tonight at DVD HQ, with titles and a transition or two, and it authored and burned in about 15 minutes.

In any event, that's just opinion. I am sure if you provide more details of your setups and your projects, the pros will be able to tell you whether the performance you are getting is normal or what you can do to get PD9 chugging along faster.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
AllenChicago [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Chicago (USA) Joined: Jan 28, 2010 22:06 Messages: 151 Offline
[Post New]
When I first upgraded from PD8 to PD9, I complained because PD9 was no faster on this 2.6ghz/Quad-Core/8GB/Win7-64bit machine than PD8 was. It takes 45 minutes to author a Non-Edited 55 minute AVCHD hi-def video to mpeg2 in PD8/PD9. I thought that was slow, but after reading this thread, I don't feel so bad.

I went to forums for some of the other video editing programs, thinking that I might had purchased a "lemon" product, but it turns out that even the expensive programs like Adobe movie editor generate wide ranging results across the user spectrum. I suppose we're still a decade away from speedy/flawless productions with home PC's?
-Allen
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I come from a time when it was an overnight affair just to render your video before you even thought of burning to a DVD. We have come a long way but boy do we still have a ways to go.

If only the camera makers would get on board and all produce the same format. Just because it says mpeg4 or H.264 etc, does not mean they are all the same, each manufacturer has their own little tweak in there to make theirs faster, better, smoother, etc which just screws up editors no end. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
[Post New]
Thanks everybody for your advices and help. Yes, as garicoh7, I'm also very new to PD9 and video editing.

My pc is quad core intel icore7, hyperthreading and turbo boost features available, 4 GB of RAM and 1gb of dedicated video memory, card nvidia with CUDA so I think it's enough to do video editing. Moreover, I've been analyzing resources while authoring and memory, cpu, disk reading transfer rate and none of them were at maximum values, that's why I think that with good advices as yours, It can be improved.

CPU (total) was between 25 and 50%, memory around 50% and disk reading (there was no writing practically at that moment) around 1MB/s (disk is SATA3 interface, 500 gb of disk space)

I'll continue researching and I also understand there are tasks that must use the needed time, minutes, hours, days and there's no way to speed them up more.
I understand that video processing is one of the most resource consuming tasks that a computer can do.

About my 4-hour video in just one DVD, of course it was in low quality, not high.
I've been doing various tests with different qualities and different video lengths. For 1-hour video (the first quarter of the 4-hour one, same video), it took 3h20min to do DVD authoring (in HQ DVD quality) and then around 10 or 15 minutes more to burn disc. Of course it was fewer video time and fewer chapters, but same menu template.

I also observed a detail while dvd authoring was in process, for the 1h video 720x480 mpeg2: the process that was using mostly the cpu (but only 25%, sometimes 50%, not all cores were used nor at the maximum frequency) was MenuMotionGenerator, so I think that the menu template I choose was complex.

Besides all this, and assuming DVD authoring is lasting the needed time, I find no reason for making changes in the Chapters' title position (it is just moving a simple text box over the fixed screen) has that slow refreshing. At that time there's no video processing or play, so I think that´s another problem.

Best Regards,
Eze