Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crash issue - please help
Hammerhance [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 09, 2011 06:22 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I have PD 9 Version 9.0.0.2702 which I have been using without any issue since I bought it from Amazon at the start of February and I have created a couple of projects. As of yesterday a fault developed which meant that when trying to load any of my projects, PD stopped responding at 20%.

I have a Diagnostic file and an event report which I can supply and I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled as per instructions incl. cleaning the registry.

I follow the following process which leads to the crash

1. Open PD
2. Click File > Open Project
3. Select any project > Open
4. Crash at 20%

Any help to fix this problem would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

Filename
HammerhanceCrash.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
356 time(s)
 Filename
HammerhanceDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
25 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
344 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 10. 2011 07:51

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
According to the crash report you have release 9.0.0.2504 installed, not the current version. Suggest you update your application first. Win 10, i7
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
You are several versions behind on video driver updates. A search showed you use the mobility Ver 11.1

It cannot be stressed enough that PD9 over all other versions is very finicky about having updated drivers. You can get the latest video drivers here

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Just plug in your card info and it will take you to the download page.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 10. 2011 14:58

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
Hammerhance [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for both of your advice and I have updated PD and my graphics cards, but am still having the same problem.

Although saying that, the project did load past 20% temporarily on two occassions, but has now reverted back to form.

New DXDiag attached.
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
32 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
335 time(s)
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Open Pd9
Load ALL the sample files into the tracks
Using: File > Save project as
Save the project to C:/Video/Test/001.pds
Close PD

Now re-open PD9 by going to the folder C:/Video/Test
Locate the pds file and double click it.

What happens?

The test is to prove PD9 functions.

The next part is for you to look at the source location of where you're storing your project media data - Where is that? what type of HDD is it and what location addresses is it too the files?

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 11. 2011 05:22

Hammerhance [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd,

Test functions all work ok and test project loads without problem.

All project media date is stored within C:/Users/(Videos/Music/Images).

When I updated graphics drivers last night, it temporarily got past the 20% load point otherwise I would have suspected the project had become corrupted.
Hammerhance [Avatar]
[Post New]
Customer Support finally came back to me with the following -

I understand your concern that you are unable to open your project files into the latest version PowerDirector 9 software.

Regarding your issue, I would like to inform you that the problem is file specific and not software specific. The PowerDirector software is not backward compatible.

Please note that PDS is a PowerDirector project file. It does not save/includes any video, audio or pictures used in the Project. This file contains only details about the editing done by you in original file and location path of the files used.

PDS file will only open if all video, audio or picture files you used in the project are at the same location. If files used in project are moved, renamed or deleted, Project will not open.

To avoid this error in feature, please not the below given instructions...

Please do not remove any original source file(videos,files used while producing project) from the original location. Also follow the steps to save the file. Else whenever you will get broken file error you need to recreate the project.

1. Project file material:

Launch the PowerDirector software --> Import your project file in it --> Now click on 'File' on toolbar --> Click on 'Export' --> click on 'Pack Project Materials'. It will save all the project information in a folder.

I can very well understand your concern and the implication of this situation as a user and apologize for any inconvenience faced by you.

Please feel free to contact us back for any further clarification or for any assistance related to CyberLink Products. Use the below mentioned link to get back to us for your further queries:

http://www.CyberLink.com/english/cs/support/form/index.jsp

Thanks and Regards

Previously, before I had encountered this error, when I moved project files and then tried to load a project, a box would come up asking me to locate the file on the system. So folowing the advice of the support I moved a random file to see if this made any difference. It did, the project asked me where the file was located, which I directed it to and then it continued to load the project. It then got to 60% and crashed.

I tried to reload the project again and it crashed at 20%. Moved a file and reloaded, it searches then crashes at 60%.

I'm not sure if i'm narrowing the fault down or just delaying it? But I have to ask why does support suggest that PD9 can't operate if a file has been moved when the program asks you to locate the file?

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

It's a really, really good idea to store all project files in ONE folder on your C drive and DO NOT rename, remove or change the file name.

All versions of PD have operated the same and this advice is critical to the performance of your PD experience.

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Hammerhance [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks I understand that, but all my files are in one place on the hard drive and none have been moved. I only moved a file to test the theory behind the fault.
Hammerhance [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have noticed that the process CES_IPCAgent.exe which is run by PD is operating in 32-bit mode. Previous to the update, it wasn't. Not sure what this process does or whether it relates to my problem?

I prepared a test project using the sample files and when I loaded it, this process didn't start and the project was loaded ok.

When I loaded one of my projects created prior to the update, this process starts and the program crashes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2011 04:32

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

EDIT insert: You need to re-install PD9 before going any further. I have just read your update.

Can you ignore your project and start a new one. Load all your media files into the new project tracks - haphazardly etc and then select File > Export > Pack Project Materials - you'll need to browse and save to a folder

Now I would like you to go to the saved location and select the pds - we're testing to see if it opens and if you have a corrupt file or an inclusion or editing change has corrupted the situation.

Now I have to point out that Auto-save pds files may offer you an alternative to recover and open your project. The default location for Auto-saved pds' is: C:\Users\PCNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\AutoSave
Browse through the folder and you may locate a project recoverable pds.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 15. 2011 05:22

Hammerhance [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd,

Have tried to open the autosave files previously but same problem for every one of them dating back to when the projects were first created. I will give your other suggestion a shot and come back to you.
Hammerhance [Avatar]
[Post New]
Unistalled PD and cleaned registry, removed old files.
Reinstalled.
Created new project with original files, packaged and reloaded. Seemed to start ok. - process CES_IPCAgent did not start.

Tried to reload older projects and crash - 20%, CES_IPCAgent process starts.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh bother!
Looks like your earlier projects are corrupt..... repeat the instructions
Redo and keep clear of the earlier project files.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 15. 2011 07:49

Hammerhance [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hmm, it's very strange though that all my autosaves (99 of them dating back to when I first started my first project) are all corrupt. I'm not sure if I'm ready to give up trying to find a solution yet as it's a 2 hour film i've spent over 100 hours creating.

Thanks for all your help though Dafydd. I will let you know if I find a solution
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
My guess initially is one of the media files is corrupting or has been altered which causes PD to fail to install.

However you're having the problem throughout the Auto-save files - is that correct? Please look for the very first one... and if you have an auto-save which doesn't contain the project - does it open? If it doesn't then a corrupt install may have taken place. If however it opens it points to the project content. Perhaps a screenshot of the contents would help here - showing the file extensions - just list the content.

I'm looking for file names and file extensions.

If you don't already show the extensions please change your settings to do so.

You have graphic drivers which are old and need updating and a graphics card which is underpowered for Pd9.

Throughout your project did you have shadow edit files selected?

Thanks

Dafydd
tbrady [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 01, 2011 13:21 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
many of my crashes went away after I installed a GeForce 9800 GT with 1Gb of dedicated video memory. $109
Hammerhance [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, an update as to my situation.

I've checked all the files that I use and it looks as though there is a specific issue with loading .mov files. Every other file type loads absolutely fine and an old project without .mov files loaded ok.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Quicktime but to no avail so this is my new theory if anyone has had this issue before, it would be good to hear if you found a solution.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
OK, one of the steps mentioned in the guide is for a 5 to 10 second unedited sample file, state the source (make model) - please provide.
Thanks
Dafydd
PS I edit .mov files from my ContourHD camera without a problem.
Hammerhance [Avatar]
[Post New]
My entire project was made up of different .mov file and it worked fine for the 4 weeks it took to make it, it was a problem that only recently began to occur. The video files come from multiple different mobile devices and not one specific source i.e. i-phone or nokias. The movie I have created is a collage of videos and photos from camera phones.

Anyway, I've attached one of my problem .mov files which PD crashes whenever it tries to load.

Incidentlly, the file loads in all other viewing programs i.e. VLC, Quicktime, Media player etc.
 Filename
Fans 3.MOV
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
4295 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
408 time(s)