Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Very bad quality with mpeg-2
PwnDirector [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 22, 2009 09:43 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hi sbkjo

I'm also experiencing a very similar issue or perhaps it's the same.

I haven't figured it out yet, but it's definitely a new issue with PD9, As PD8 was fine.

Could you do me a small comparison test on yours to see if your getting the same symptoms as me..

Drag your High Resolution Picture (it really doesn't matter what the extension is, be it jpg,Gif, etc.. PD9
will compress it exactly the same way it seems.). Onto your workspace. I used a 3000x2400 JPG.

Now, In the video Preview screen (top right by default). Click the drop down box "preview in the media player" and choose preview in "FULL HD preview Resolution". And click launch media viewer, Now as you can see it's perfect quality.

And when you produce a Video in FULL HD 1920 x 1080 MPEG2 It should look like this. Just as PD8 did.

But it Doesn't. Does it !!!!

So what does it do!!,,Or more precisely what it looks exactly like, no mater what 1920x1080p option you choose.

Well if the mods, could see the following, I'm sure they could help us.

Now. once again Click the drop down box "preview in the media player" and choose "preview HD Resolution" The one underneath the last one we chose). And click launch media viewer, ( Make sure it's on full screen of course) Now you will see it's quality has dropped, I normally see the egdes have gone blocky and a drop in crispness.

This is the quality of Produced video i'm getting, using all formats @ 1920x1080. I've changed bitrates, and tried all other options..

It simply will not Produce a FULL HD Resolution Quality Video for me..

Please try the Small test above, and tell me if the difference your seeing between FULL HD preview and HD Preview, is the difference between PD8 and PD9.

Si

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 08. 2011 09:04

sbkjo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2011 12:48 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi PwnDirector,

I will try, but probably won't have time tonight (I am currently not at home). It will be for tomorrow.

Have you looked at my samples ?

I have only a problem with mpeg-2, any quality or definition/resolution. With Blu-ray or H.264 I have no problem. That means the problem is with the mpeg-2 format.

Have you tried with mp4 or H.264 ?

sbkjo
PwnDirector [Avatar]
[Post New]
I've just downloaded your 500mb File, to check out.

It only took 1min 45 secs to download .

Anyway!.. First impression is that your issue is identical to mine.

Your 1920x1080 Mp4, has done some horrible things to the quality of that wooden fence. The plank edges
have got very blocky indeed. along with the crucible the edges have lost there crispness and
look very downsampled..

I will import your project and do some more tests..

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 08. 2011 09:47

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
Are you actually trying to make a DVD compliant disk, that plays on DVD not Blueray player?

The DVD standard (NTSC) is 720x480 at 29.97 fps the 4:3 or 16:9 (wide screen) is controlled by the pixel aspect ratio, the resolution is always and only 720x480 (will have more vertical resolution in PAL).

The "upscaling" type players make them appear a little better, but the actual information is still 720x480 ... they will never be equal to BR. The really big screen LCD really show this when you get closer to screen. RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
sbkjo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Rocket,

I know that DVD is not as good as BR. But the quality is far form what it should be. I had no problem with PD 7 and DVD and also tested Elements Premiere 9, nothing to compare qith what I get with PD 9.
PwnDirector [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi sbkjo

Please try the following:

Choose Mp4 format.

Custom Profile

Resolution 1920x1080

Frame Rate 25

Frame Type: Top field First

Profile Type: Main Profile

Entropy Coding: CAVLC

Rate Control: 20000

Advanced Speed/Quality Controller all the way to the right..

Use Deblocking: Yes..

And also Untick Fast video Rendering Technology!..
Tell me if the quality changes on that Fence at all !..

The produced video Appeared much improved on mine.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2011 10:18

Rocket-Scientist
Senior Member Location: HUNTSVILLE, ALABAMA Joined: Apr 23, 2010 10:14 Messages: 288 Offline
[Post New]
I will admit that i encode DVD-HQ in dvd9 disc (DL)preference, then use another product to reencode if my video is longer than 50 minutes. But I really like PD9 menu setups etc.

Smart render isn't that smart. Do you think it is the single pass encoder they are using that is trashing the quality?

The forum has several topics on hardware acceleration compromising quality, do you have that turned off? RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
(2 NVME 2TB, 1 SSD 2TB, 3SATA 18TB )
PD18 ULTIMATE 64bit
WINDOWS 10 PRO 64 BIT
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO WIFI MB
RYZEN 7 3700X 8-CORE , 64 GB DDR4
ORSAIR HX1050 watts PSU
sbkjo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi PwnDirector,

I will try this. Except this first picture, I find the mp4 pretty decent, but if I can have a better quality...

Have you look at the mpeg-2 ? This one is really bad.
PwnDirector [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi PwnDirector,

I will try this. Except this first picture, I find the mp4 pretty decent, but if I can have a better quality...

Have you look at the mpeg-2 ? This one is really bad.

With those settings, your produced video seems much improved now. What makes no sense is that
even though I turned off Fast Video Renderer technology, The Actual size is smaller then yours by a 6Mb.
But the quality has improved alot

I need to find a place to upload the Produced video to..So you can see yourself

The Mpeg2, makes me think I need glasses, It's just blurred..

UPDATE: Here's a rapidshare link

http://rapidshare.com/files/451575566/Produce_Pwn.mp4

Deposit Files Link

http://depositfiles.com/files/tm1t6os9j

Or it could be that the new 2702 patch has just fixed the issue. As I've just gone back to my old
projects and they seem fixed. the degraded pics are no longer degraded. Weird..hmmmmmmm

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Mar 08. 2011 11:04

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
A new update has been released for PD9. Suggest that it be applied before continuing any more troubleshooting. Win 10, i7
sbkjo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I applied the patch. It's definitely much better !

Especially the wooden fence has no longer this horrible look.

Regarding mpeg-2 it's also much better, but I will have to burn a DVD to have a look on my TV. I will do this tomorrow.

At least the patch proves that there was a problem...

Pwn : I had a look at your file. The quality is top. Currently I don't have this quality for the video part. I will try with your proposed settings.
Philly Bill [Avatar]
Member Location: Philadelphia, PA Joined: Dec 28, 2010 20:26 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
How do you get the update? In the preferences I have "automatically get updates" checked but I've never gotten any indication that its being done. I have PD9 Ultra 9.0.0.2330a HP Pavilion Elite 410f. AMD Phenom II 1045T (six core), ATI Radeon HD 5570 Graphics Card w/1GB, 8GB memory, terabyte HD, generic multi optical, LG BD burner, both Lightscribe, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Formerly used Ulead/Corel VideoStudio.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
At the TOP of this forum page is a link called "SUPPORT" under which you'll find "Software Updates" and the link to PowerDirectors's updates. Win 10, i7
Philly Bill [Avatar]
Member Location: Philadelphia, PA Joined: Dec 28, 2010 20:26 Messages: 57 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks. People should note that in "Edit, Preferences, General" checking "Automatically check for software updates" does not check for software updates.

There were several updates that I needed however I only downloaded the most recent. My build is now 9.0.0.2702 (from 9.0.0.2330a). Should I assume that the most recent update will bring PD9 up to date regardless of earlier updates?

HP Pavilion Elite 410f. AMD Phenom II 1045T (six core), ATI Radeon HD 5570 Graphics Card w/1GB, 8GB memory, terabyte HD, generic multi optical, LG BD burner, both Lightscribe, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Formerly used Ulead/Corel VideoStudio.
All vodi
[Post New]
Yes that is correct. Win 10, i7