Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Very bad quality with mpeg-2
sbkjo [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 06, 2011 12:48 Messages: 14 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

For weeks I try to get some support from Cyberlink, but without any success. There is a one week delay to get an e-mail... Each time it's for asking some more files/information,... but no solution.

The problem I have (on two different PC's) is the very bad quality of mpeg-2 encodage. This especially with still pictures (photos). It's not usable.

No problem with h.264 / mpeg-4, but mpeg-2 is awful.

Power Director 7 is running fine on these 2 PC's, I only have problem with Power Director 9.

Thanks for your help
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
What profile of the mpeg-2 are you using ? Win 10, i7
sbkjo [Avatar]
[Post New]
DVD HQ
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
What is the source material and to what are you trying render the video ? Win 10, i7
sbkjo [Avatar]
[Post New]
jpeg of very god quality and I try to produce a DVD. But if I choose mpeg-2 file it's the same.
All vodi
[Post New]
"Very good quality" is not enough for us to determine what it is that you are working with. Please right click one of your images in the library and determine the details.

What profile are you using in h264 ? Win 10, i7
sbkjo [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for your help. I have sent you a pm with a link where you can download the files I used to produce the mpeg-2, with also the output.

I get the same kind of results on another pc (also Windows 7).

sbkjo

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 06. 2011 16:45

All vodi
[Post New]
Unfortunately I do not have the time to look at your full project.

"Very good quality" is not enough for us to determine what it is that you are working with. Please right click one of your images in the library and determine the details.

What profile are you using in h264 ?

Please provide a short clip or sample of your video if possible.
Win 10, i7
sbkjo [Avatar]
[Post New]
The project I sent you is only a test, with 4 pictures and a short video clip. Together less than 40 sec. The zip enclose the original file, output in mpeg-2, mp4, H.264. You can have an idea in 2 minutes.

The images are jpeg (from RAW files), size is 5616x3744. I have no problem with the very same images when I burn a Blu-Ray. It's only with DVD that I have a problem.

As mentioned I had no problem with these images using Elements Premiere 9. The images quality is not faulty.

I've also tried to convert the H.264 in DVD file using "free viedo to dvd" and the output is fine.

Thanks again for your help

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
You appear to expect HDedit to carry out a one to one assistance service and he has already indicated he doesn't have the time.
Please provide the information as he's requested on the forum for members to look over.
Thanks
Dafydd
sbkjo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I gave the information : The images are jpeg (from RAW files), size is 5616x3744

Regarding H.264, I use the standard profile of PD 9 (as for every other format). No modification at all.

The problem doesn't come from the image's quality. Otherwise I would have the same problem with PD 7. Moreover the quality is good when I burn a BR with the very same images. If the image quality is poor, it would be even worse in BR.

I am not the only one with this problem. I've just found out this : http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/11440.page

My feeling is that the problem is known by Cyberlink, but without any solution. That why they ask for a lot of information, each time something else, and wait one week between each mail.

I am very disapointed by Cyberlink's support and appreciate your help in this forum.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 07. 2011 06:29

twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
I have run a test on my Cyberlink PD9 using the same photos, taken with a Nikon D5000 camera, producing MP-2, H.264, H.264 1080P and MP-4 best quality. They can be seen here and you can compare. MP-2 is not bad on my production. I see hardly any difference in MP-2 and H.264. Click on links below and see what you think. The MP-4 looks pretty good, but the MP-2 is not bad. The last one is H264 1080P. There is quite a difference in quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LW-sJuzuY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRT8dZiZgic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvIla98eF4k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdQKcE73Kts

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 07. 2011 11:14

Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
All vodi
[Post New]
The link location you specified earlier is NOT for PD9. It's for PD8. The two versions are quite different.
(http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/11440.page)

I've also run a few quick comparison tests such as that of twincitybulldog and come up with similar results : mpeg-2 is OK. Win 10, i7
sbkjo [Avatar]
[Post New]
That gives me hope that one day it will maybe work for me.

I am using PD 9 Ultra, 2504.

Attached is the dxdiag and a print screen of my workspace.

A sample in mpeg-2 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TocQjIv6YQ produced with the profile DVD HQ (no modification)

Another in mp4 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpSWFlCALwM

Thanks for your help

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
323 time(s)
[Thumb - Printscreen.jpg]
 Filename
Printscreen.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
291 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
251 time(s)
All vodi
[Post New]
Thank you for the samples. The mp4 is true to it's 1080 pixel resolution and so is the mpeg2 at 480 pixels.

If you play back the mp4 at 480 pixels it very closely resembles the mpeg2. Let us know if we're missing something here. Win 10, i7
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
I don't know if I have missed something in this post but when ever you produce to "DVD HQ", be it to a disc, youtube, or your computer you are going to get less quality than what you see on your computer from a modern digital camera.

To show on your computer choose H.264 or Mpeg2/4 or any other format, keeping in mind it is usually best to produce to the same format as the original video.

If you want the same quality as the original photos or video on a disc, you need to produce/burn to a Blu-ray disc or AVCHD which is a normal DVD, but can only be played on a blu-ray player or computer it will not play on a normal DVD player. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
sbkjo [Avatar]
[Post New]
I find difficult to assess the quality on Youtube. That is why I did this zip file to download, which include these samples. The quality of the mpeg-2 is unusable. Nothing to compare with what I get with PD 7 or Elements Premiere 9.

I am sure you will see the difference.

Thanks for your help.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 09. 2011 04:29

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry sbkjo, no one is going to download a nearly 500 meg file. If you really want people to see your problem do a test using a 10-20 seconds test video. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
sbkjo [Avatar]
[Post New]
The 500mb file contains also the original files. I did it so, because if I only post the result, one will tell me the original pictures were bad. With a high speed connection it's not a big deal and IMO we spare time, avoiding future post asking for original files and so on. But I also understand people being afraid of downloading a 500MB file. Sorry.

To be clear, I use on a regular basis PD 9 with BR. This time I need a DVD for a friend who has no BR. That's why I have the problem.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 09. 2011 04:29

PwnDirector [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 22, 2009 09:43 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hi sbkjo

I'm also experiencing a very similar issue or perhaps it's the same.

I haven't figured it out yet, but it's definitely a new issue with PD9, As PD8 was fine.

Could you do me a small comparison test on yours to see if your getting the same symptoms as me..

Drag your High Resolution Picture (it really doesn't matter what the extension is, be it jpg,Gif, etc.. PD9
will compress it exactly the same way it seems.). Onto your workspace. I used a 3000x2400 JPG.

Now, In the video Preview screen (top right by default). Click the drop down box "preview in the media player" and choose preview in "FULL HD preview Resolution". And click launch media viewer, Now as you can see it's perfect quality.

And when you produce a Video in FULL HD 1920 x 1080 MPEG2 It should look like this. Just as PD8 did.

But it Doesn't. Does it !!!!

So what does it do!!,,Or more precisely what it looks exactly like, no mater what 1920x1080p option you choose.

Well if the mods, could see the following, I'm sure they could help us.

Now. once again Click the drop down box "preview in the media player" and choose "preview HD Resolution" The one underneath the last one we chose). And click launch media viewer, ( Make sure it's on full screen of course) Now you will see it's quality has dropped, I normally see the egdes have gone blocky and a drop in crispness.

This is the quality of Produced video i'm getting, using all formats @ 1920x1080. I've changed bitrates, and tried all other options..

It simply will not Produce a FULL HD Resolution Quality Video for me..

Please try the Small test above, and tell me if the difference your seeing between FULL HD preview and HD Preview, is the difference between PD8 and PD9.

Si

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 08. 2011 09:04