Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How do I turn off background programs
John [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 06, 2006 17:49 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
How do I know which background programs to turn off? When I bring up the list of which ones are running (cntrl/alt/delete), there's a lot of them.

1) How do I turn them off?
2) How do I turn them back on again?
3) Which ones can I leave off/on?
BradyB
Senior Member Location: Springfield, Illinois USA Joined: Feb 24, 2007 07:38 Messages: 153 Offline
[Post New]
I think mainly you want to turn of the automatic updates. Each program has its own settings.

For Windows, go to Start/Control Panel/Automatic Updates.

For Norton, go to Norton Internet Security/Settings to turn off the Automatic LiveUpdate. You will also want to go into Tasks & Scans/Configure a Scan/Schedule Full System Scan and turn off any automatic schedule virus scan.

My computer came loaded with a couple Sonic programs, which have their own updater. Since I quit using Sonic, I removed the Updater program with Control Panel/Add Remove Programs.

If you have questions about background processes that you see running in Task Manager, Google the full program name to get more information.

Hope this is helpful.