Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Upgraded to PD 9.0 Crashing when opening
Virginiann [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 20, 2010 21:50 Messages: 34 Offline
[Post New]
I have been working on this since 5am this morning. I sent a note to Tech Support but I thought I would jump in here to see if I could get quicker help.

I downloaded and installed the PD9.0 this morning. When I tried to open it it crashed immediately, never opened.

I was using 8.0 successfully for a long time. No I have nothing. I use this program to with a Walking Club I have here on the Internet. We Vlog our Weight Loss Journey's and I announce the winners via video on YouTube and now I am in panic mode because I can not get the dang thing to work.

I have a duo core pent, Nvidia video card. Windows 7 all software is up to date. I downloaded the 9.0 PD.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled this software. At first I saw both the 8.0 and 9.0 so I thought they were conflicting so I uninstalled the 8.0. That didn't help. It won't even open. Please someone help!

Virginia Cooper Running Windows Home Premium
Intel Dual Core P8600 2.40 GHz
4 Gig Ram DDR2
NVIDIA Graphics Card G Force 9600 GT
Graphics Driver: nvd3dum.dll 8.15.11.8640
Power Director 9.0 2702
[Post New]
Virginiann;
Do the following so we can diagnose the solution:
1. Click the Start Button
2.In "Search Programs and files" box type, DXDIAG and press <ENTER> , then pause, to let it collect information.
3. In the bottom of the window that opens click the <Save All Information> button and save the file to your desktop.
4. Return here and at the bottom of the thread/POST, click <Post Reply>
5. Click the <attachments> button at the bottom of the screen that opens and attach the DXDIAG.TXT file you saved to the desktop.
6. Submit the reply!
We need this file to proceed to a solution.

Is your 9.0 product a trial or registered version?? Installing version 9.0 will REMOVE version 8.0 and all files not kept in a separately assigned folder.

Make sure you have downloaded and installed at least the 2330a patch
http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

THANK YOU

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 03. 2011 19:56

Virginiann [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here you go! Thank you so much! I bought the registered version. Should I install that patch now, while I await your reply?

Thank you again,
Virginia
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
28 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
520 time(s)
Running Windows Home Premium
4 Gig Ram DDR2
Power Director 9.0 2702
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Your system looks capable of handling PD9.

- Did you remove PD9 using Win7's control panel ?
- When you say "crash" what do you mean exactly ?
- PD9 removes PD8 before installing on your system. How were you able to "see" PD8 on yours ? Win 10, i7
Virginiann [Avatar]
[Post New]
I did the upgrade with the new version and as soon as it loads it crashes......closes.....that error we get when a program closes and windows looks for a solution. It never opens. Yes I removed through the control panel.

The PD 8 was still pinned to the task bar. I deleted it and did a full uninstall and reinstall and I still get the error.

Thanks for your help! Running Windows Home Premium
4 Gig Ram DDR2
Power Director 9.0 2702
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
OK. Just trying to understand at what point is PD9 crashing. Could you please elaborate in more detail ? Win 10, i7
Virginiann [Avatar]
[Post New]
I click on the Icon to open the program and begins to open then the crash happens. I took a screen shot. you can see PowerDirector in the back ground.

V.
[Thumb - PD Crash.JPG]
 Filename
PD Crash.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
129 time(s)
Running Windows Home Premium
4 Gig Ram DDR2
Power Director 9.0 2702
All vodi
[Post New]
So the sequence begins when you are opening PD9 it for the first time AFTER it has been successfully loaded ? Win 10, i7
Virginiann [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I have never gotten it to open ever. Running Windows Home Premium
4 Gig Ram DDR2
Power Director 9.0 2702
[Post New]
Virginiann;
Your video card is at the low-end of the specs for PD9 (only 496 MEGS of dedicated Video Memory available). Your video drivers are over a year old (too old). Please go to the nvidia site and get the updated drivers.:
At LEAST this - http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-266.58-whql-driver.html
Install them on top of the existing drivers!

Your C: drive is at minimum specs for space available...please delete any temp files and free up a little space.

With Nvidia cards you should be running at least the 2330a patch. Yes, to install!

Each one of these: update to 2330a (or 2504), video drivers, clean space on c: will get you closer to opening (don't forget to REBOOT). Let's see if this all helps..report back..ok?

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 03. 2011 21:33

All vodi
[Post New]
OK. That's a major problem. PD9 should at least load.

- I suggest removing PD9 using Win 7's control panel.
- Restart your PC after PD9 is removed.
- Ensure that no other versions of PD exist on your PC.
- Because you purchased an upgrade you'll have to re-install PD8, but only the main program. The contents portion is not needed.
- Once PD8 is running, you then install the PD9 "upgrade" and follow the instructions.

Let us know how it works out. Win 10, i7
Virginiann [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh my gosh! I downloaded and installed that patch you told me to install and it worked!! My PD is open!! Thank you thank you thank you! You Rock my new found friend! Is there anything else I should do?

V. Running Windows Home Premium
4 Gig Ram DDR2
Power Director 9.0 2702
Virginiann [Avatar]
[Post New]
It looks like I lost all my downloaded PIP/Effects Things from PD website. oh well I will just redownload those that I used a lot. It's not that big of a deal. It works! Thank you again.

V. Running Windows Home Premium
4 Gig Ram DDR2
Power Director 9.0 2702
[Post New]
Which patch..the program patch or the video driver updates? Get BOTH, ok???

Other Things to do..

1. Keep a copy of the DXDIAG, so you can provide it for future communications.

2. There are some great video tutorials that the editors here have created on youtube..find the channel and look at them as needed.

3. ENJOY..and come back for more questions anytime!!

4. This is a new one I am telling people.... always find and copy special PIPs and profiles to a separate directory before updating...Cyberlink just ignores all we downloaded and saved...and OVERWRITES/ERASES them during version changes. I developed the habit of keeping them all in a separate folder, so I didn't loose them.

Glad it is working.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 03. 2011 21:48

Virginiann [Avatar]
[Post New]
I will certainly do that from now on. I know about YouTube Tutorials, I have learned so much. I love this program! I'm finding new stuff! How fun! Thank you again!
C. Running Windows Home Premium
4 Gig Ram DDR2
Power Director 9.0 2702