Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Saving Clips
denverg88 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 23, 2011 09:05 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I recorded a theater production for several nights at my university. The video for each disk is in one large file rather than already being broken down. What I want to do is Break down similar parts of each video and then compare them to each other and choose which scene I like the best. For instance I want the first song of the first night to be a separate thing that I can look at called "Overture1" and the second night first song "Overture2." I would be fine if it were just two, but there are about 6 nights of recordings I need to sift through to pick the best one. Is there a way to save a trimmed section as its own file or put it in the library rather than leaving it the timeline? Never give up. Never surrender. -Galaxy Quest
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Isolate the clip in the track and Produce it.
Dafydd

I just have to quote something

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!" Galaxy Quest

and for the uninitiated: http://www.scifiscripts.com/msol/GALAXY_QUEST.txt

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 23. 2011 09:49

Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
If your recording is AVI and anything like some of my one to two hour recordings, thats about 17GB per hour. If its MPEG then maybe 1 to 5 GB per hour.

Load the raw video in the timeline and play it through setting markers at the end of each song by pausing playback and placing the mouse in the timeline and then Control-T to set the split, until you have played through six or more songs.
Now you will have about 30 minutes of video with six splits or markers along the clip and then maybe an hour or so in the last remaining "unplayed" clip.

Save the project at this point with a sensible project name like First6Songs.
Now delete the last hour long section. Produce the six song portion as First6Songs.AVI or First6Songs.MPG2 depending on your preference.

Since you have not deleted anything along the clip, only the lst clip, the productiong time should be fast and might even invoke SVRT which is even faster.

Go back to Edit when its done.

Type Control-Z and the final deleted clip should re-appear since its the last operation you performed in Edit.
Now select and delete the first six splt clips from the beginning and you end with the final big hour-long clip remaining.

Repeat the above process, playing the songs and ending with a Control-T at the end of each song for another six or more songs. Save this Project as songs7to12 and produce it as AVI or MPEG2

Repeat the above process until all the video has been played through.

You will now have a number of projects

Fisrt6Songs
Songs7to12
Songs13to18
Songs19to24

and similarly a number of AVI or MPEG2 videos named First6Songs.avi Songs7to12.avi etc tec.

If you make a mistake you can reload e.g. Songs13to18.pds and it will load the relevant video section with clips markers along it.

Now you can load and play the produced sections into the libray window and play any one as is in the small viewer. You dont need to drag them onto the timeline if you wish. However if two performances of the same song were recorded over the concert evenings you can place one on the timeline and play it and click on anothr clip in the library and play it for comparison if you know roughly where along its time it was sung. In this way you can hop between recordings and listen to each, making notes.

Finally you will rough cut the songs you want onto an intermediate timeline, do fades or transitions between clips and produce it. You might do this with two tries, so you can compare the two more closely. Then you make your final production. Each time, you should make intermediate named .pds project files so you can easily save the work because this may take you a week to do.

I made a christmas concert a few seasons ago and it took a week of evenings to post-edit. Warning: By the time you are finished you will know the songs better than the performers and will find it ringing in your ears at breakfast lunch and while driving ! so dont say I didn't warn you.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 23. 2011 10:08

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem