Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cross Fire Compatibility?
Westy Boy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 23, 2011 04:11 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi all,

I have been using an earlier version of PD up unitl now, but as I have now upgraded my system to a far better beast I thought I'd give PD 9 x64 trial a go.

Unfortunately, it does't appear to work in x-fire mode, which is a real shame for obvious performance reasons and wondered if there may be a fix/workaround for this.

Details of my system are:

Win 7 x64 Ultimate
ATI Crosshair III Mobo
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Dual Radeon HD 5700 (1GB ea)
8GB RAM
Boot Drive 2 x 1TB in RAID 0
Data Drive 1 x 1TB

It's a clean install of Win 7 with all the latest drivers and not much else installed in the way of software that could interfere, save for the possibility of AVG Free.

The problem is that, with X-fire enabled, PowerDirector will not launch - Windows throws up an incompatibility issue. However, with x-fire disabled the program will launch fine and appear to run OK (haven't actually used it for anyhting yet).

Any ideas on what the issue is and whether it can be resolved. I love the program and would really like to take full advantage of my hardware. But will reconsider purchasing the full program if I can only use the power of one graphics card.

Also, on another seperate note, with the earlier version of PD on an XP machine, the program would install the working directory 'My Works' on a seperate Data hard drive automatically, for obvious performance benefits. However, the installation of PD9 appears to have ignored my seperate data drive. Is there a reaason for this and can it/should it be changed?

Thanks,

Westy.
 Filename
DxDiag 1.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
293 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 23. 2011 07:20

Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe I'm dim but what does x-Fire do for you in video editing ? I can see its use in games... If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
This is according to the video card forums I looked at. It is primarily just for the gaming software use. Just having the good video card is the improvement.

Cross fire of video cards do not help with video editing at all. Having the ATI 5700 series card is a good advantage to start with. I have the 5800 series.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Feb 23. 2011 13:34

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Westy -

Since I know nuffin' about this, I'll just link something Jeff (JL_JL) posted... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/14356.page#68333

It confirms comments made above.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Westy Boy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 23, 2011 04:11 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Hi well it is a good question about whether it improves peformance in video editing or not and one that I was looking for the answer to.

My thoughts were that you can enable hardware acceleration to offload some of the processing done by the CPU to the GPU, kind of makes sense if you have two GPU's working as one then there would be benefits. But that was just my theory.

I did read a couple of posts, I think on here, were people had seen considerable rendering iprovements when switching to x-fire, but these were using different model graphics cards to mine and x-fire obviously worked for them.

Would be nice if I could get PD to work in x-fire mode then at least I could perform some tests to see what sort of performance changes there were by comparison.

Assuming that I can't get x-fire to work, which is looking likely. What about dual monitor set ups. can you show the preview window on a seperate monitor, therefore off-loading some GPU tasks onto the second card?

Thanks for all your responses.

Westy.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Westy.....

There are lot of users that use dual monitors. (not me) I know it works. However I am not sure about the using both cards issue. As in one card on monitor "1" and watching the preview on monitor "2" using card 2.

I think PD will only see your primary card. You could still use both video ports out of the primary video card to run your dual monitors. But it would be a good project to see what you can do.. Let us know how it works. __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link