Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
I'm having trouble CAPTURING a VHS movie.....
DKD007 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 14, 2011 17:58 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
How do I do a simple capture. I bought the software to start converting old VHS movies onto my computer or burn them to DVD. I have the caputre device working and I can see the movie playing on PD9 but I'm only grabbing like 4 minutes or so...I couldn't find help anywhere. Maybe no one does this anymore but I want to.
Thanks

I have a new HP Elite, i7 dual core, 4 MEG memory, nvidia card.
Marczkiab [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Cleveland Joined: Feb 15, 2010 00:59 Messages: 21 Offline
[Post New]
I use a Dazzle capture device and use the supplied pinacle software with it to capture. I then import the video to PD9.
Its the only way I have found to work. Using Pd9's fix and enhance features the videos look great. I use video enhancement and video denoise. Thanks
DKD007 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks...I may have to try that. I was just trying to use the capture device that had come with my earlier Roxio I owned.
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Try Windows Movie Maker........ __________________________________________
Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link
DKD007 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks, I'll try
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi. Like you, I could not get PD9 to work at capturing either from my camcorder (analog Hi8 tapes) or my VHS player. I understand, from reading the forums, that PD9 "likes" a digital input signal, which means you have to buy a "dongle" (converter). I purchased a product (converter and software) that has worked like a charm for me - I have converted hours of old VHS home movies, originally filmed on 8mm film and then converted to VHS tape 40 years later. The VHS tapes were almost 20 years old when I got them. I have many more projects like that on my "To Do" list. My name is getting around this small town.

I don't want to insult the good folks who run this forum, so I won't mention the non-Cyberlink product that I purchased. There are a few things to be aware of if you purchase the product and I would be glad to provide you with all of the information if you send me a private message via this forum. I totally agree with Marczkiab that the Fix/Enhancement tools in PD9 make an incredible difference. Properly applied, and this usually means splitting your capture into segments because no one setting will work usually with all scenes on a film, the difference is truly amazing.

Wish you success with your PowerDirecting. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil
vividere [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 25, 2011 21:54 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I am trying to capture some of my old video collection using the very popular Canopus ADVC-55. I am trying to figure out what product to buy, and this one has failed big time. I saw the identical error message on an earlier version. Says it is initializing the digital device, gets to 70% and never proceeds from there. There is nothing for it to initialize, I will be sending a video stream. It has nothing to do but capture.

I am looking for software that can crop the video input to remove the black bars on the side and the "tear" on the bottom. I know a guy with Dazzle and whatever software that works with it, but he doesn't have this issue. I was hoping this software would be even better than his, but it won't even work.