Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector Freezes during render.
bigal52 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 11, 2010 12:18 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I am using PowerDirector Ultra64 9.0.0.2504. When I am rendering a HD video the rendering process freezes. I noticed that the freeze seems to happen right before a transition; specifically a fade transition. I tried different rendering formats including MPEG-4 and H264 AVC. I do not get any error messages from windows or from powerdirector. The CPU usage drops to a minimum and the only way to close power director is through task manager. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 Filename
bigal52DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
bigal52DxDiag
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
444 time(s)
bigal52 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just a quick update - I reinstalled PowerDirector and tried rendering the same project under 2316 and it seemed to work just fine. I am going to try the 2504 update and see what happens.
bigal52 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Updated to 2504 and rendered the same project again with no problems - sorry if I wasted anybody's time.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Quirky isn't it this software ? Win 10, i7
bigal52 [Avatar]
[Post New]
It is quirky, but seems less quirky than Adobe Premiere
Foogledricks123 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Mass. Joined: Mar 06, 2011 08:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I had the exact same issue last night. It happens during a fade. I applied a fade, with cross-dissolve to my whole timeline. It failed at 81% every time. So I tracked it down to a transition between two clips. I deleted that transition and everything was fine. It is quite clearly a bug. My solution was to not use transitions on my whole timeline because I was sick of troubleshooting Cyberlink's software. Especially since they haven't even responded to this thread. If I thought they were responsive I would troubleshoot more precisely and offer some details to help them fix the problem.

v9.0.2504 64-bit
[Post New]
Foogledricks123;
Since Bigal52 got a solution, I guess you can use this thread, but understand that no two problems here are the same so it is preferred that (in the future) you start your own thread.

Welcome to the forum. Tech Support (and this forum) need some basics to start:

Do the following so we can diagnose the solution:
1. Click the Start Button
2.In "Search Programs and files" box (or select RUN for XP) type, DXDIAG and press <ENTER> , then pause, to let it collect information.
3. In the bottom of the window that opens click the <Save All Information> button and save the file to your desktop.
4. Return here and at the bottom of the thread/POST, click <Post Reply>
5. Click the <attachments> button at the bottom of the screen that opens and attach the DXDIAG.TXT file you saved to the desktop.
6. Submit the reply!
We need this file to diagnose and proceed to a solution.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
PD9 has a bug associated with transitions (I am re-rendering a project while I am writing this note for instance for the very same reason). In this forum that has been very well documented. At this point one has to work around it by doing what many users have already done, such as the ones in this thread. I for one have discovered that if I simply REMOVE the transitions and then re-insert it again PD does not stumble on the second try (the "cross" transition seems to trigger this issue more than others).

If one has a recent multi-core PC with good graphics card there should be NO issues with transitions.

This transition related bug can be verified very easily : it can occur often in a typical project containing several HD video files. Because it can be corrected by a simple REMOVAL and RE-INSERTION of a transition, it indicates a software bug and not hardware, especially in cases where users have very recent models of PC hardware as demonstrated by many "newbie" users in this forum.

WORKAROUND:

- The "FREEZING" occurs in the same exact spot during rendering. Note the time of occurrence.
- Go back into edit mode (in this case the PC is usually not actually frozen if you can exit the process) and go to the same time on the timeline. It will likely be at the beginning of a transition.
- Remove the transition, then re-apply it. If you are using "cross" transitions you will have to do the "Switch" for that.

NOTE: I've found that this problem can also occur when a clip is trimmed at it's end AND a transition is applied to it afterwards. By re-trimming the clip's end the problem usually disappears.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 06. 2011 11:41

Win 10, i7
[Post New]
ONE can certainly do that, but without the DXDIAG file, it is difficult to assess whether this particular one/user issue may be compounded by faulty machine environment.
Foogledricks123 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Mass. Joined: Mar 06, 2011 08:16 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry, I was a bit grumpy this morning because I spent a lot time troubleshooting the problem last night.

Thanks for the tips. I do in fact have all 1080p files and was using a cross-fade. Good to know that more people that just me are having the issues. I'll provide the file when I have a moment to re-render the video.
warpark [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2011 22:45 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
FredB, I am having a similar problem, can you look at my Diag and tell me what's going on? Much Thanks!!
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
41 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
608 time(s)
All vodi
[Post New]
warpark,

Your PC has more than adequate power for PD9. You should have no problems rendering even AVCHD (m2ts) video. Win 10, i7
[Post New]
warpark;

FredB, I am having a similar problem, can you look at my Diag and tell me what's going on? Much Thanks!!

Welcome to the PD9 Forum. There are many video experts here who can help you with your problem.

Since this is your first post, I recommend the following to help get a quick solution.

1. Start a NEW TOPIC for you problem. Saying you have the same problem as someone else....doesn't help always, as each problem has unique properties that could require a different solution.

2. Describe your problem while looking at the PD9 desktop. (Can you attach a screencapture of it?)

3. Also, Re-attach your DXDIAG to the new post..It helps us all "see" your environment.

Again, welcome

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 30. 2011 14:14