Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How Would You Do This?
Rayj2011 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jul 29, 2008 12:37 Messages: 65 Offline
[Post New]

I'd like to try my hand at rotoscoping.

I'd have a short, maybe 10 sec clip with multiple people in the clip,
however I'd like to rotoscope one person in the clip so he goes from natural
to a cartoonish type.

Can PD9 (PD8?) be one of the tools used? I guess I'd need to store out each frame
in some format, rotoscope then recombine them? And what other tools would you recommend?

Thanks,

Ray
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Ray

Rotoscoping cannot be done in PD - however there are various effects in the effects room (F4) coupled with the subject being shot on a green screen - might be of use.

Good luck Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Rayj2011 [Avatar]
[Post New]

Thanks for the response. I just watched a short tutorial on rotoscoping with Vegas Pro.
It's a rather tedious process but definitely can be done.

If it wasn't so expensive, I'd give it a shot!

You would think Cyberlink would be adding frame level type tools....
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Use the Color Painting, Pencil Sketch effect etc in Effects Room to produce an effect.

Then adjust the result by tweaking contrast, hue, brightness. Save, Re-do on the new clip as needed.

Find other rotoscopes in YouTube and also google search for rotoscope animation forums

Seeing these examples you can now try other particle effects on top of the pencil sketch effect until you get a better result. Remember, what you get will be viewed by your audience without any knowledge usually, of these techniques so if they recognise the players in your movie they will be just as pleased with the result as long as the content is suitable.

e.g. you would not normally rotoscope a wedding or a funeral - or would you ?....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pad3aLEtM0

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 19. 2011 08:27

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Remember, what you get will be viewed by your audience without any knowledge usually, of these techniques ...

I remember being told that video is all about cheating. Jerry Schwartz
Rayj2011 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Use the Color Painting, Pencil Sketch effect etc in Effects Room to produce an effect.

Then adjust the result by tweaking contrast, hue, brightness. Save, Re-do on the new clip as needed.

Find other rotoscopes in YouTube and also google search for rotoscope animation forums

Seeing these examples you can now try other particle effects on top of the pencil sketch effect until you get a better result. Remember, what you get will be viewed by your audience without any knowledge usually, of these techniques so if they recognise the players in your movie they will be just as pleased with the result as long as the content is suitable.

e.g. you would not normally rotoscope a wedding or a funeral - or would you ?....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pad3aLEtM0

Your video is a rotoscope of the entire frame! I would just want to rotoscope you for example and leave
the background untouched.
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Ravj,

Not entirely, but straight answer is yes, to be quick-n-easy I did not take it further. Its quite difficult to only rotoscope sections without doing a matte (see below) The better more expensive editors on the market have smart plug-ins I believe, to allow more control.

I took a video shot against a blue background and I then did a Color Painting effect and a Pencil Sketch effect on the timeline. This created a ratty-haired and increased folds-in-clothing image of me talking. I then produced the movie and re-processed the result a second time for brightness and hue and I think I did the color painting effect again on the second movie.

Then I moved it to timeline 2 and put a static image on timeline 1 of a valley - the default library image in PD9. I did a chroma-key of white so the background valley came through, but unfortunately my white beard and left face also got unwanted bleed-thru. Finally I placed the green text where you see it.

I have seen an excellent rotoscope on YouTube somehwere where the players in the movie, a young girl and her father are holding a hand mirror. I assume the mirror was the green screen item and they passed the mirror back and forth between them, covering their faces . In doing so the video-maker did a color rotoscope of the original faces in bizzare colors but only the mirror portion was visible, everything else was normal. The result was remarkable.

In making the hand-mirror be a matte, the artist confined his bleed-thru to just the mirror. If for example you were to cover a guitar body with green paper or wore green clothing you could do a similar movie.

See here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQk-HDW4diU

for my matte of a castle

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem