Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Record from 2 cameras?
matt1898 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2011 01:51 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hey everybody. I have downloaded the trial version of PD9 ultra, and I think its going to be perfect for my needs. I will purchase the full version this coming weekend.

Question though..I am going to be recording music lessons for my students.

Is it possible to record from 2 camera's directly, via Firewire ports? I have 2 firewire ports, but not a 2nd cam at the moment to test. This would make the 2 tracks completely in sync, if this method is allowed.
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Matt

Welcome to the forum!

You can import two separate videos - but not both at the same time.
Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Dickflyfisherman [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: May 29, 2008 09:34 Messages: 197 Offline
[Post New]
Would it work if you had a firewire splitter or hub, have your two cameras connected to the splitter/hub then one connection to the computer

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 16. 2011 08:24

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

I'm not sure, I use cameras with hard drives and memory cards.

All you can do is try Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Dickflyfisherman [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: May 29, 2008 09:34 Messages: 197 Offline
[Post New]
I am assuming that she has her comp in the same area and wants to record to PD9 "LIVE"
matt1898 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2011 01:51 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Yes, I would like to record from two DV cameras "live". And I'm a "He". lol.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Matt,

PD9 really isn’t intended as a live multi-camera mixer, like for a live broadcast for instance.
But to do multi camera edit of your lessons, perhaps you might try this…

Let’s say you’re presenting a guitar lesson. Camera one is the long shot of you in the chair with the guitar. Camera two is a tight shot of the neck/fret board for a close-up of the fingering.
Start both cameras, and prepare to start the lesson by doing a countdown by saying… 3 – 2 – 1, and then proceed with your lesson.

Once your lesson is complete, import the footage from the cameras to PD9.
Place camera one’s footage in track #1, and camera two’s footage in track #2.
Then Align the 2 tracks, so that when you hear your countdown in both tracks, they are in perfect sync.
Now listen to each track’s audio and determine which of the two has the quality you like the best, and then mute or remove/delete the inferior audio. Now you have a master audio that will service both tracks/footage.

Now you can start to edit out unwanted bits, and continue editing so it appears that you are in effect switching back and forth between cameras 1 and 2, to display which camera view you want to show on the screen at any given moment. Or place the footage from both cameras in a Split Screen to show both views at the same time. Or place either the footage shot by camera 1 or 2, in the bottom right of the screen as a small inset screen. Or place this small screen so it appears to be behind you over your shoulder.

The options you have in PD9 to edit and display your lesson shot with two cameras, is virtually limitless. You just need to create a visual or audio reference point at the beginning of your lesson, so that in the editing stage, you can align the tracks to be in sync.

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
If you want to throw some money at the problem then something like Tricaster (Google or look on eBay.com in USA)
which is a true multi-camera input mixing and switching desk.

or this
http://cgi.ebay.com/VIDEONICS-MX-1-VIDEO-MIXER-TITLE-MAKER-EDIT-SUITE-/220740514497?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336528f2c1
As stated in previous post, PD can record off a single source but that source can be whatever video source depending on the input card to the PC. I dont know what you would need to convert RGB and sync to be Firewire or if you would need a pci video card with RGB inputs.

Search Google for multi-camera mixing desk and you will find others Search eBay for Video Switchers and routers which seem to run around $100-$500 or more

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vision_mixer and maybe look for Tandy or other home consumer electronics as opposed to professional gear.

I presume I wont be deleted by Dafydd since this is a hardware adjunct to any video editing software and so non-competing with Cyberlink - hopefully

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 18. 2011 06:36

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Do it yourself with this easy DIY circuit

http://www.glolab.com/freeinfo/images/videosw.pdf

or contact your local Amateur Radio and SlowScan TV folks to have it built for you for a few bob. Its essentially the switch without pan fade etc which you can still do in post-production with PD

Cute logic, uses a MAX454 Video Amplifier chip See also EL332 logic ccts on Google The pdf above does not do the Sync Stripper and DC Restore but the circuit transmits 200MHz (-3dB bandwidth) video signals while stripping off the sync pulse and performing DC restoration. It is configured for a typical video cable driver application driving a double-terminated 75Ω load

If you dont have sync resolution what you get is basically electronic crash switching and possibly a frame or two of missing sync resulting in frame roll or tearing. However if you then edit the crash out in post production at the video level and keep the sound, you should get an OK switchover. One way to test this without actually building the analogue switcher would be to connect a simple mechanical switch connecting two video inputs to one output and click the switch. At the recording input yould definitely get a frame sysc loss and then you could test how well PD can edit out the error and whether or not there is a click or crunch in the audio too.

In fact Maplin in the UK sell CCTV switcher boxes which 'crash' switch for $24 GBP

I dont know if this sort of switching would cause Vista to detect loss of DV input and halt recording. Would need to test this too.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 18. 2011 09:13

Videocentricity
[Post New]
Go here

http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=206

for a review of the Mtrox MX02 device £1200.00 UK and note the comments about connectors, firewire DV etc.