Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No Pictures just Green Screen & Sound
Andrew3599 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Somerset UK Joined: Feb 05, 2011 06:20 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Dear All,

I am tired and very frustrated. I am trying to get started with video editing but constantly finding problems.

My main problem is that I insert an .avi file into 'Media Room' (previously captured and saved on a second hard drive). I drag the file onto the Timeline and when I click the play button in the preview window all I get is a green screen but with the soundtrack. This also happens with the short Cyberlink clip called 'Nature.mpg' so its not just my video.

I have tried contacting Cyberlink but did not get a very helpful response I'm afraid.

I have a feeling that it is not a problem with PowerDirector 9 but my laptop setup. I have made sure both video and sound drivers are up to date. I am running Windows Vista, AMD Turionx2, 4GB Ram.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Andrew3599

AugieDog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 16, 2010 23:22 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Don't count too much on the Support group. One thing you might look at is the Hardware Acceleration option in the Preferences. Turn them off. I've found these to be problematic. Be sure you have 3-4 gig of memory and a lot of free disc space. Finally, look at the minimum specs published by Cyberlink to be sure your graphic card can handle the work.

Other than that, someone else with more expertise will have to chime in.

Good luck.

Augie
Andrew3599 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Augie,

Thanks for the quick response.

Already tried disabling Hardware Acceleration. I have 4GB Ram and video card that more than complies with Cyberlink minimum requirements. Also over 1GB free hard disk space and I said, the problem occurs with the small pre-installed clip 'Nature.mpg' so its not a hard drive limit nor is it limited to my footage.

Perhaps it could be PowerDirector 9 but I am still thinking it is a basic setup problem.

Keep my fingers crossed someone has had the same problem and knows what I am doing wrong.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Andrew3599

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 09. 2011 11:46

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Andrew,
It does appear to be a graphic card display issue. Video editing not only uses all your resources it will also show up the weak points and show those as well.

There should be a techie in your area of Somerset who you could show the problem to and have them look over your laptop.

You've eliminated the video sources by the simple test you carried out, one of them should have played with out a problem - the Nature.mpg

Best wishes,

Dafydd
Andrew3599 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Dafydd,

My laptop is relatively new and until using PowerDirector it has performed without a hitch. I use other programs that require similar resources such as Photoshop, Sketchup Pro, and AutoCAD and had no problems at all.

I think I might just try and find a simpler program. I just do not have the time to try and find the Techie you refer too. I'm not being cynical but my experiences with so called experts over the last few years has been disappointing and expensive. Shame really because I was beginning to think that I could have found a hobby I might enjoy. I still cannot believe I'm the only one who has had this problem.

Many thanks once again for your kind response.

Regards,
Andrew3599
Videocentricity
Contributor Location: Long Beach,CA Joined: May 21, 2007 05:37 Messages: 394 Offline
[Post New]
Andrew,
Also confirm some really dumb questions, just for starters.

1. What format of the video clip .AVI, .MPG or what ?
2. Can you play it in any player ? Windows media player for example
3. When imported into PowerDirector and it is selected (Green tick over the clip image) does it show the initial frame in the small view screen to the right (you dont need to have dragged the clip to the time line yet)
4. When you click play it should play in the viewscreen and time marker should be incrementing in milliseconds as it plays)

Can you post part or all of any clip taken by the same camera to anywhere ? even youtube to see what happens when converted to FLV format.

If you can't solve the problem - Change the problem
[Post New]
I had experienced a similar problem - I'm not sure if your circumstances are the same though.

I had upgraded to PD9, and (aside from a few little annoyances) everything functioned properly. Then I installed the latest (and only the latest) update. After that, I got the same symptoms that you did. Nothing would play in the preview window - just a green screen with audio. This included video captured from a DVD which played fine on its own. The video would, however, play if I brought it up in the multi-trim window. To make matters worse, when I tried producing the video to an AVI, all I got was a green screen on the output.

My first assumption was that it was a problem with Quicktime. I tried reinstalling that but no luck. I wound up doing a system restore back to PD8, then upgrading again and installing the updates in sequence. I don't know if that really was necessary (I was advised by the forum that it was not), but PD9 is working great now on my system.

I can't say we had the same problem, or if my approach was really the proper solution, but our symtoms sound exactly the same. PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Dell XPS Studio - i7 3.4 GHz / 8 GB RAM / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Grill [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I found a solution and an easy one at that. Just open up vlc player and pause the video for some reason it eliminates the green problem and PD9 works perfectly after. But you do need vlc open and paused, in my experience star trek works great.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Just open up vlc player and pause the video for some reason it eliminates the green problem and PD9 works perfectly after.

Which means that VLC is supplying the missing codec.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 28. 2011 16:30

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.