Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Bad news for me i think .
[Post New]
I posted recently about Video Cards and recieved some great info from Robert2 S and AllenChicago. However after searching the FORUM and the web, it appears that my model HP Pavilion (mainly for office use) is only run on 250 watts, the least wattage video card i could find is 300. I found some sort of power booster, but conflicting reviews on them. I dont think i would like to take a chance on them. I have noticed some of you are running HP Pavilions, perhaps a bit bigger than mine. So now i am looking to upgrade to a new system, I like my HP and have had no problems with it, However i am basing this purchase soley around PD 9 and up. So If anyone has any suggestions, i am open to them.

Thanks
10 rams keith Dell XPS 850, Win 8, 64 bitOPS, intel i7 3770 cpu @ 3.40 Ghz x2, 12gb Ram, NiVidia Ge Force 640 Sony HDR-CX150 http://www.youtube.com/user/bigbuff74
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Keith,

Sorry for the bad news, been there done that a couple of times over the years.

Now this is just my personal opinion, I usually stay away from most company built computers. Some of them use special built motherboards, ram etc which make it harder to upgrade. HP is more known for their business computers than gaming computers.

I go with clone PC's built by well known computer shops that have been in business for years and have a good reputation.

Having said that Dell is known for good quality gaming computers if you want to go with a known manufacturer.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
My power supply is under powered for my card and it still works. I probably don't get full performance, but it is far better than what I had. You just have to make sure you don't get a card that requires a separate power connection __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Keith,

I have a high performance gaming HP Pavilion Elite desktop, the model I have is only available in Australia/New Zealand, but in the USA there is a far greater range of HP high performance gaming units. I find it is very fast and undertakes all tasks without problems. But as Robert2 has stated, one drawback is the use of a Pegatron motherboard and coupled with in Intel i7 means that the Radeon Catalyst Control Centre is a waste of time for my video card.

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
[Post New]
Well, it looks likes i have a wide range of options. I've been on Dell and HP website checking some new towers out. Also some local shops too. I want to make sure i get my moneys worth. I thank you all and hope to return with good news.

thanks
10 rams keith

ps: go titans Dell XPS 850, Win 8, 64 bitOPS, intel i7 3770 cpu @ 3.40 Ghz x2, 12gb Ram, NiVidia Ge Force 640 Sony HDR-CX150 http://www.youtube.com/user/bigbuff74
[Post New]
Power supplies are cheap - about $50 - 75 for what you need. And they're easy to replace. Unless you have some proprietary configuration or a slim case - in which case your options are limited. PowerDirector 10 Ultra
Dell XPS Studio - i7 3.4 GHz / 8 GB RAM / Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Bubba in TX
Senior Contributor Location: Central Texas Joined: Dec 12, 2009 21:32 Messages: 1332 Offline
[Post New]
Which HP Pavillion do you have? I have a HP Pavillion and last week upgraded from a 300 to a 700 watt ATX power supply and new ATI 5870 video card. (not because of PD9... but so I could play Fallout New Vegas with improved frame rates, never had any issues with PD9 on the old Nvidia 8400 GS) Took about 10 minutes to install both.... Got a spare cross fire bridge if anyone needs one.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Feb 13. 2011 15:51

CyberLink PowerDirector 10 Tutorials
PDtoots PowerDirector Tutorials

**NOTICE**
When you are asked to provide a DXDIAG you go the following link and do part "B". Your posted specs are NOT what we are looking for as they tell us nothing. The specs on the box of your computer mean nothing. The DXDIAG shows us how your computer is configured as it runs.

DXDIAG Link