Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Serious system crash caused by PowerDVD 7
Middleton [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2006 09:09 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD causes a system crash when e.g. auto-playing DVD's, when switching to full-screen display or when applying changes in settings. This happened to me 7 times during one evening!

The crash does not result in the infamous Windows Blue Screen (BSOD).
When the machine crashes, it drops out of the OS as if being reset. This is a serious error.

I de-installed PowerDVD 7 from my system to test for possbile driver issues. I installed a trial version of WinDVD 7 to compare. WinDVD 7 plays without any problem at all. This may confirm a problem with PowerDVD 7.

I reported this issue at Technical Support.

Have other users experienced similar problems? How to solve them?

Cheers,

Dave

System Specs:
--
AMD 64 2x 2.4 GHz
Asus A8N-E Mobo (Nvidia chipset)
Asus 7800 GTX graphics card, drivers ver. 91.31
Creative X-Fi Soundcard, drivers ver. 2.07.0004
Plextor DVD RW drive type PX 750-A
Richards lll [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 12, 2006 14:57 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Haven't used 7 much but no problems so far
Middleton [Avatar]
[Post New]
Today, I received feedback from the Cyberlink Support. They replied within 24 hrs; nice service.

Unfortunately, they were unable to help me fix the problem. PowerDVD 7 keeps on crashing.

In the meantime I played movies on WinDVD 7 Trial, the competition's product to compare if issues were related to anything other than DVD playback software.

WinDVD 7 played smoothly and flawlessly; no crahes at all. But after a while I noticed differences that reminded me why I choose PowerDVD. For instance, video is smooth but too sharp; it misses the "soft magic touch" of PowerDVD. Sound in WinDVD is really below par: voices reduce music volume levels and is not as crystall clear as in PowerDVD.

So, I am back to PowerDVD 6 Deluxe. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. PowerDVD is still my player of choice, but version 7 is simply too buggy.

I suspect Creative audio drivers have something to do with the issues I had with version 7. The PowerDVD 6 application itself crashed several times when using older version audio drivers. Why I had old drivers installed is a story in itself, but with the latest drivers all seem to work OK.

Cheers,

Dave

Dude [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 23, 2006 00:59 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
PowerDVD 7 keeps crashing on me. It also chokes my CPU
Middleton [Avatar]
[Post New]
After extensive testing, I may have found the culprit of my crashes: NVIDIA's latest drivers, version 91.31. These drivers also conflict with other drivers e.g. webcam, resulting in the same type of crashes.

I replaced the driver by version 81.98. No problems any more. PowerDVD plays fine.

I hope this helps anyone having the same problem.

Cheers,

Dave

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Good posting.

I liked the way you dealt with the issue, you looked and found the cause and you posted your findings.

Dafydd
Stock [Avatar]
Member Location: UK Joined: Jul 08, 2006 11:43 Messages: 79 Offline
[Post New]
I have been getting this problem as well, even with the latest PDVD 7 thanks for the prompt response from CS.

Unchecking the Read it clearly box under DVD feature appears to have cured the problem actually warns you it that it may cause problems, my bad.

Perhaps this version will install under XP64.

Hope this helps

Kevin
Middleton [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Kevin,

I am sorry to hear that you experience the same problem.

This week, I installed the newest NVIDIA driver, the 91.47 that is. Guess what? PowerDVD 7 crashes my system. As I mentioned in the previous post, I came from the 81.98 driver series to which I returned.

So I re-installed the 81.98 driver series again, and all is working in PowerDVD 7 as advertised. My conclusion: Read-It-Clearly could not be the cause.

Cheers,

David

cyberloner [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 10, 2006 16:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
same problem here.. looks like nvidia latest 91.xx driver is making problem with powerdvd.... when change the video screen mode... it will crash with nvidia dll.....
switch back to old 8x.xx driver everything is back to normal
read a lot forum and a lot user is switching back to 8x.xx driver....
91.xx add new control panel and consider it is the main problem.....
use 8x.xx driver and wait a better release driver....
Dude [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 23, 2006 00:59 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I never had an Nvidia product, I only use ATI. Looks like PowerDVD 7 is badly written code