Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Emailing a Power Director 9 file.
prattden [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:26 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Edited a video clip in Power Director 9, aved it as an MPEG 2 file, and emailed it. But the person receiving the email doesn't get the clip, they just get a version of Power Director 9 software that does nothing. No way to access the clip I emailed. How do you email a Power Director Clip???

Also, I've noticed after you're done editing a clip, you can't just close the file in Power Director 9. You have to close out the entire program and then restart it. Am I missing something or is this the most counter-intuitive software ever developed?
[Post New]
When you say you "(s)aved it as an MPEG 2 file" do you mean you produced it to an MPEG 2 file?

When you produce a file, that is exactly what you are doing...producing a file outside of the PowerDirector application. When you attach the file to your email you should be selecting the MPEG file you produced with the PD9 application.

No offense intended, but this sounds to me like user error.

And no, you don't have to close PD9 when you're done editing a clip.
prattden [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, I "produced" it as an MPEG 2 file. But when I attach that file to an email, the recipient gets a truncated version of Power Director 9, but no MPEG file.

And, how exactly do you close a file you've been working on without shutting down the entire program? Usually with almost all software, you click on "File," then "Close," but PD9 has nothing like that.

Thanks.
prattden [Avatar]
[Post New]
Also, all the clips I've "produced" with Power Director are saved as PDS files, whether they are MPEG, or AVI, or MOV, they all end up saved as PDS files. Attaching one of these files to an email results in nothing but a version of PD9 being received the person I've emailed it to.

Are you saying that when I produce an MPEG file it is saved somewhere else under a different format than PDS??
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
PDS = a text file with the address locations of all the media data you've used to display in the PowerDirector Edit Workspace.

Select Produce tab at the top of the workspace and move from the Edit Workspace to the Produce workspace.

Note: Your friend will not appreciate a large emailed file and mpeg files are large.

I have produce a number of templates for wmv production which were intended for emailing. These can be found on the Extras location on SeeMyWorldOnVideo (for free) and will auto install into PD9 - english language operating systems.

I would recommend you send your friend a wmv file or upload the video to youtube, as a private file and then share the address with them. Streamed footage is a deliverable and easy to view medium.

I hope the info helped.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 25. 2011 15:46

prattden [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again for the response, but the problem remains as I stated before. No matter what format I "produce" the video in, it still ends up as a PDS file and when I email that file it shows up as PDS program without the clip.

All I'm trying to find out is how do you email a file produced with PD9? No matter where I look, I can't find the answer to this question.
prattden [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oh, and no one seems to know how to just "close" a file in PD9 without closing out the entire program.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
With respect, I think you have not spent sufficient time familiarising yourself with the basic functionality of PD9.

Your produced file - mpeg, avi, mov whatever, is saved with the profile/format, to the location, and with the name you specified in the produce window.

The .pds file is purely the editing instructions saved for use at a later date should you wish to store and then continue or re-visit your project. No other programme can use the .pds file.

By close a file, I presume you mean save (or not) and start with a clean workspace/timeline. Try under File>New Project or File>New Workspace.

I would strongly suggest you study the user guide and view the tutorials before making snide remarks about something that is very basic. We are just users trying to help each other voluntarily, not CL technical support or customer service.

Cheers
Adrian

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
prattden [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have gone through the user guide, and can find no answer to this problem. I do save the produced file to a specific location, with a specific name. That file always shows up as a PDS file under that specified name in that specified location. I can find no other file other than PDS for that file name in any other location.

Is it impossible for anyone to tell me step by step how to do this?

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Finding the Produce tab and making a video!

[Thumb - sduk2010-pd271b.png]
 Filename
sduk2010-pd271b.png
[Disk]
 Description
Finding the Produce tab and making a video!
 Filesize
137 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
1578 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 25. 2011 15:48

prattden [Avatar]
[Post New]
Producing the video is not the problem. Finding it afterward and emailing is the problem. As I've said before I "produced" several videos, and saved them. But emailing them results in nothing other than some sort of truncated version of PD9 being received by the email recipient.
prattden [Avatar]
[Post New]
Perhaps if I started with a more basic question such as, "How do you save a produced file to your hard drive?" I know that currently, when I save a file after producing it, it ends up as a PDS file of about 175kb, which of course is nothing. And yet, when I open this same 175kb file with PD9, it becomes a clip, ready to be viewed or edited.
twincitybulldog
Senior Member Location: Winter Haven, Florida "Home of Legoland" Joined: Aug 03, 2009 14:59 Messages: 159 Offline
[Post New]
C:\Documents\CyberLink\PowerDirector\9.0\Produce

By default your produced(rendered) file should be in the folder above. PDs files and Produced files are two different files. If you have files that have been produced they should be here. Find and open them to view. Windows 8 Pro 64bit
Cameras. Panasonic AG-HMC40, GoPro Hero 3 Black
Edition.
HalCon
Senior Contributor Location: Charlottetown, PEI Joined: Mar 01, 2008 10:36 Messages: 719 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Perhaps if I started with a more basic question such as, "How do you save a produced file to your hard drive?" I know that currently, when I save a file after producing it, it ends up as a PDS file of about 175kb, which of course is nothing. And yet, when I open this same 175kb file with PD9, it becomes a clip, ready to be viewed or edited.

prattden,

When you produce a file in PD9 it is automatically saved in the folder that is set as the output folder in your preferences. As has been mentioned in other posts, saving the project file creates the .pds file. This file has been explained. It is not a video file.

See attached screenshots for assistance. First you should check your preferences and see where the output files are being stored, you can also see this location in the produce room when you name the production.

Hal
[Thumb - preferences02.png]
 Filename
preferences02.png
[Disk]
 Description
Preferences - Output location
 Filesize
269 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
330 time(s)
[Thumb - produce01.png]
 Filename
produce01.png
[Disk]
 Description
Output location in produce room
 Filesize
147 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
323 time(s)
OS - Win11 Pro, Alienware R13, CPU - Intel Core I7-12700KF 12 CPUs), 16g DDR5 4400 RAM, Video - Geeforce RTX 3080ti 12g, PD11 & PD365
My YouTube
prattden [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hal, and Bulldog, thank you both very much. Simple answer to a simple question. Problem solved. Kudos to you both.
[Post New]
I have a related question about e-mailing files.

I thought that most e-mails are limited to 25mb attachments. So if you have a produced mpeg2 file that is 100mb, how do you e-mail that? Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
prattden [Avatar]
[Post New]
Through a service called "Send/You Sendit." You have to subscribe, or the person you send to has be subscribed. One or the other will work. I use it to send audition tapes to my agent who then forwards them to production company, casting director, etc.
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have a related question about e-mailing files.

I thought that most e-mails are limited to 25mb attachments. So if you have a produced mpeg2 file that is 100mb, how do you e-mail that?

Quick comment: the limits are arbitrary. On our e-mail server, some accounts are set to 10MB and some to 20. Some corporate e-mail systems have lower limits, some higher. Sometimes we have to send our products to a customer's gmail account because their corporate system won't let them through. Jerry Schwartz