Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 9 Crashed when rendering project
llamas1234 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 11, 2010 11:24 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Purchased Power Director 9, with latest patch installed. All seemed to be working great while in production, then rendered first video in mpeg-4 and it locked up. Now the project is jumpy and Off and almost never finishes movie much less rendering and it simply shuts down/off. I have a ATI Radeon 2400 Pro with drivers updated.

What's up? Do I need a new Video Card? What kind?

XP PRO, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.4GHZ, 2 100GB internal hard drives, and 2 exteral TB hard drives.

[Thumb - CyberlinkERROR.JPG]
 Filename
CyberlinkERROR.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
crash screen shot
 Filesize
222 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
219 time(s)
[Thumb - PD-9ERROR3.JPG]
 Filename
PD-9ERROR3.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
crash screen shot 3
 Filesize
186 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
208 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 23. 2011 23:58

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3, 50GB freespace on c:, 2 external 1TB hard drives, 3.4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
I use just a 1gb graphics card on my set up. You haven't mentioned RAM. A diagnostic would help.

From the images.
1. Copy and retain the information in the error report.
2. provide a lot more free space on your system hard drive - at least triple the file contents used in the project and output selection (choose the larger). 16GB is too small.
3. Did you localise what was in the 22:02 position in your project?

For CyberLink Technical Support please contact: https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/index.do

Dafydd
llamas1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
attached is a DxDiag.txt file. Looking at it, I believe it says the ATI Radeon 2400 HD Pro is 2.56 mb, is this correct? Also I have 3.5GB of RAM?

1)when you say "localize" do you mean all files must be on the same local hard drive to produce and render? I have a USB connected 1TB hard drives that I put some of the larger movie files on, and it's a mixed bag, meaning in my media content it comes from various drives (ie: maybe c: and a USB drive).

2) Yes, I think I only have 16GB of free disk space, are you saying if the media content is 5 GB then I would need 15GB of free disk space on c What if I'm saving the output to the 1TB USB drive?
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
60 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
454 time(s)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3, 50GB freespace on c:, 2 external 1TB hard drives, 3.4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
Looking at the diagnostic I see the "Driver Date/Size: 4/10/2008 11:05:34, 305152 bytes" Tech Support would recommend you to look and apply an update.

You have to have sufficient processing space if you are using HD files in BOTH locations. You also have to make sure the external drive will "stay awake" during the process. My external HDD are "pinged" by a software to make sure they remain active.

The mixed bag location style of editing isn't one I'd adopt. I suggest you Go to File>Export>Pack Project Materials and then browse to bring all project content to one location. I would then open that project file and attempt to produce again.

I'm suggesting the PPM approach over the other, as scattered files have in the past caused video editor software to baulk at tasks.

I should have used "isolate" rather than localise, look to see what media is in your project at 22:02 which might be causing the problem - a corrupt media file perhaps.

Try some or all of the above.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 24. 2011 12:05

llamas1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dell and I just updated, yesterday, the only drivers known and latest known I believe for the ATI Radeon 2400 Pro? Don't know about the 4/10/2008 date? I'm not sure what else I can do?

With that said, is this enough of a video card? The 22.02 file is one that is located on the "outside", but so are a couple of others, in the same spot. I've attached some event errors (many of them) that I also gave to tech support.

What do you mean PPM?

I guess I will try the Go to File>Export>Pack approch. The tech people (I'm assuming overseas) , are having me send error messages and the like.....kind of a poor tech support system, quite frankly. Don't know what non-tech people could even do if this product did not work for them? Been here before.....not encouraging!
[Thumb - EVENTERROR2.JPG]
 Filename
EVENTERROR2.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
error2
 Filesize
255 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
183 time(s)
[Thumb - EVENTERROR3.JPG]
 Filename
EVENTERROR3.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
error3
 Filesize
254 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
172 time(s)
[Thumb - EVENTERROR1.JPG]
 Filename
EVENTERROR1.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
error-1
 Filesize
249 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
186 time(s)
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
If you disable the "Hardware Acceleration" and "Shadow files" features the video card does not get involved with rendering - it becomes a pure processor function. Give it a try. Win 10, i7
llamas1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
HDedit,

Disabling "Hardware Acceleration" is not available (won't let you disable). And tried disabling "Shadow Files"...did not work. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3, 50GB freespace on c:, 2 external 1TB hard drives, 3.4GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
llamas1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Have not heard from tech support, except this morning. Not sure what time it is in India, maybe they have unions? I'll tell ya.....been in this a while, can't believe I fell for another "hard" sell software. The mere fact that this forum exists for PD-9 is a clue to the obvious.

I've pretty much done all most have suggested, to no avail. Don't know if it's worth my time to upgrade the video card, as I'm seeing others, with far better cards, having problems too? I was really pumped, because it seemed to work flawless for hours and hours (making and learning the software), then I tried to render...."Boom".

Now the PD-9 won't even play, simply play, (forget about rendering).....it just crashes or turns off mid way through.

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
PPM = Pack Project Materials

Did you PPM your project as requested? Did you attempt to Produce from that project - and what were your selections? the "outside" file = 22:02 issue would be eliminated if you place the project - pack and onto a C drive with a lot more room.

The forum was set up following my request. It is as is - a place for editors to try and assist each other within the confines of the program.

I remain concerned about the processing space available to you. You should move a large amount of your data from "C" drive and free up space on there. Far too often editors have had problems with processing to external drives.
My "C" drive is a small drive sata 700GB, it has 622GB of free space. My video data is stored on internal 1TB drives and I have 9 HDD, made up of externals and internals. As previously mentioned I "ping" my externals every 2 minutes to make them remain active.

I see you mentioned Dell's assistance. If they've made changes an up-to-date diagnostic would be useful for us here and tech support.

HDEdit has pointed you in a good direction.

Please can you supply screen shots of:
1. Preferences> Hardware - the interface
2. Preferences> Produce - the interface
3. Preferences> General - the interface
This will allow us a quick look at what you've got selected - and check the situation.

Thanks

Dafydd

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 25. 2011 05:40

llamas1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Dafydd Bevan

1) Yes I exported (PPM?) to one location on my 1TB H:/ HD.

2) Yes, I attempted to produce from there. Not quite sure I understand what you are saying about the "Outside" file = 22:02? If you mean the video file from that time line on, yes I even deleted that particular video file just to see if that was the problem.

3) I did free up some space on my c:/ drive to about 50GB or so. I have not tried, yet, to render that file from the one location on the c:

4) I do not know how to "ping" my other drives....as you say. If I'm reading you right, are you saying save the rendered file on the c: drive while rendering the files from my H: drive?

5)The only changes Dell did was check to make sure all drivers were up to date. We updated the last driver for my ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro, but this is what you have seen. I'm not sure there is anything newer available or if this card is good enough.

6) "HDEdit has pointed you in a good direction."....yes except as you can see in the "hardware acceleration" adjustments or turning off is not available...it's always checked on.

FYI: This program worked flawlessly while producing this 2 minute clip. I used it back and forth extensively. Only when I tried to render in the mpg-4 did it stall and lock up, then crash. Also, now it simply turns off, no errors, no Dr. watson, no nothing....just crashes and goes back to my computer home.
[Thumb - PREFGENERAL.JPG]
 Filename
PREFGENERAL.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Preference General
 Filesize
199 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
190 time(s)
[Thumb - PREFHARWARE.JPG]
 Filename
PREFHARWARE.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Preference Hardware
 Filesize
185 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
192 time(s)
[Thumb - PREFPRODUCE.JPG]
 Filename
PREFPRODUCE.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Preference Produce
 Filesize
153 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
191 time(s)
llamas1234 [Avatar]
[Post New]
couple of additional error reports
[Thumb - Errorsignature.JPG]
 Filename
Errorsignature.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Error Signature
 Filesize
255 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
192 time(s)
[Thumb - errorreport.JPG]
 Filename
errorreport.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Error Report
 Filesize
209 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
186 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 26. 2011 00:13