Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
How to create a custom menu? No Joy!
jgaertner1@earthlink.net [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 08, 2010 10:15 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
OK, so I have been working for several hours trying to create a simple, custom menu for my 5 chapter video project. I have the user manual printed out and have read it, I have checked the older posts on this forum, I have searched for You tube tutorials...

I know how to get my own image as the main menu screen, how to set the chapter images I want for the Chapters, I can set the music I want, but I cannot figure out how to place chapter buttons on the main menu page?

I do not want all these screens off the main menu like the software seems to want to make. There seems to be no way to select the "number of buttons" pull down menu, when I am trying to set this menu up? I just do not get this software's operations.

I find this software very frustrating.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The following Edit Disc menu tutorial video may help if you have not reviewed it.
http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/tutorial/

Menus can be confusing, PD menu consists of a "Root Menu" and a "Title/Chapters Menu" ignore subtitle menu pages for now. I find everyone’s terminology is somewhat different, you say
Quote: how to place chapter buttons on the main menu page?
By main menu page what do you mean, the CL "Root Menu" page or the CL "Title/Chapters Menu" page?

You can only add buttons to the "Title/Chapters Menu" to a total of 6 buttons for chapters on a DVD, 4 for BD.

Jeff
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff, Unfortunatley all I found was a tutorial for PD 9 menus? I have PD 8. I watched it anyway but it has features not present on my PD Ulta software. You have told me I cannot have my chapter buttons on the "Root Menu". That is too bad. But even with this bit of knowlegde, I am not able to create the Chapter Buttons I would like on the "Title/Chapters Menu". I go and create these buttons and save and the *&^% thing goes right back to the way it was before! It is incredibly stupid design. I am no novice to editing, but have not had to create menus before. This is a total waste of time and money.

Thanks,

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I go and create these buttons and save and the *&^% thing goes right back to the way it was before!
After you save your template and name it during the save process in the Menu Designer are you by chance not selecting it from the available menus and double clicking the template and selecting apply to all pages. Every time you modify and save a template to a given name or the same name, a new template is made. You need to reapply your currently modified template. Yes an odd feature, but the way it currently works.

The PD8 and PD9 menu systems are virtually identical; I simply thought the video would offer you some insight.

Jeff
Branislav 2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 21, 2010 15:46 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
jgaertner1
It is incredibly stupid design.

Exactly! Don't even try to understand logic, because even in that case, you will find a LOT of bugs there! As I said many times here on forum, Menu Designer is the weakest chain in (very good) Power Director software.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Tutorial on PowerDirector 8 Menus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJMYmFNWLjo Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Thank you. I had watched that tutorial as well as the one for PD 9 on menus. But unfortunately the person making these tutorials does not start from scratch like I have to do when making thier menus. They use the ones already in the library or available on line. The menus I am making are for my company's videos and they have to match our format and presentation. So it is a lot more challenging.

As it is I think I have semi-mastered the menu design process, as it is in PD 8 after spending 12-15 hours at it over several days. The software is very poor in its performance including things like opening images that you want for your buttons, only the image do not apprear on your screen? You have to hunt around in the top three software menu buttons until you can get your image to apprear... There are major problems with the text alignment for your chapter titles. And the fact that you have to keep assigning the correct WAV file when you change anything on the menu. It is very poor. I found the only way you can possibly get the results you want is by saving every single alteration as a new menu and double check it before assigning it to the DVD at the time you burn it.

My biggest problem now is the fact that I cannot even burn my projects to DVD as posted in another thread!