Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
rendering it still said it had 23hrs left
leeroyzzz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2011 20:04 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi I just got a new HD Canon camcorder Vixia HF M300 and I'm in process of evaluating video editing software.
From what I read this one is at the top of the list. So I installed the trial version it and I'm pretty impressed with the interface and ease of use.

The problem is when getting to producing a movie. After 1/2 of of rendering it still said it had 23hrs left. This was with 10 clips for a total of 15 minutes.

In another test movie it got to 100% but just hung there. And sometimes when the program is open, doing nothing the task manager shows 50% cpu utilization.

I attached the DxDiag log file as well as a front screenshot and the vistatest on the cyberlink website.
The vista upgrade test says that "the Cyberlink software requires updating" but I'm not sure what to do.

Is it possible for someone to help me out with this?
Thanks
 Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
62 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
359 time(s)
[Thumb - power.jpg]
 Filename
power.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
192 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
174 time(s)
[Thumb - vistaready.jpg]
 Filename
vistaready.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
202 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
169 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2011 12:59

leeroyzzz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Anyone?
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
1. I've altered the title to reflect the content and NOT your status.

"rendering it still said it had 23hrs left"

2. 3 basics - see below.. Please supply a screenshot of the edit Workspace.

Dafydd

Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Hi there,

I am not that familiar with Vista and what you may have to do to make it up to date:

You are using the latest version of PD9...so that part is fine.

If I were you I would first test a production using the test clips in the MEdia Library to confirm that works. This would be a simple test to confirm that your system and setup and produce a video file. Just place the nature clip on the timeline several times and the go to the Produce area and select the same file type and profile as you did before. Give it a name(default name will be "produce"...then select a destination...like your Desktop. What file type and profile did you select previously?

Let us know the results.

One other question...when you did try to produce the file...did you have the "enable hardware encoder" checked off before you produced? If you did, you could always deselect it and see if your results are different. This method would use your CPU to render the file.

It would also be helpful if you uploaded a short 5-10 second sample of the camera footage, straight from the camera. This way others could test it and see what they get for results.

Another possibility is that there is something on your timeline causing it to pause during production. It could be a variety of things. But one way to determine where and what...is to select "enable Preview during production"...this way you can see in the preview window where it stopped.

The only other comment that I could make is that the time it is taking to produce a video from 15 minutes of footage seems exceedingly long. With you CPU...it shouldn't take nearly that long to produce a video.

We'll wait to hear back from your with the results of the test production.

Kevin

Regards,

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
leeroyzzz [Avatar]
[Post New]
I believe I found the problem. When adding clips to the library I was dragging them from the flashcard drive and not copying them to the hard drive first. I guess the drag and drop is really a drag a shortcut drop since it does not copy the actual file.

Thanks

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I believe I found the problem. When adding clips to the library I was dragging them from the flashcard drive and not copying them to the hard drive first. I guess the drag and drop is really a drag a shortcut drop since it does not copy the actual file.

Thanks

That is absolutely true, and a fundamental concept. Your clip library is just a set of shortcuts, as you figured out. The project does not include any of the clips, it is more or less the recipe you used to assemble the clips.

This is important to remember if you want to consolidate a project for off-line storage, or whatever. You want to Export... Package when you are done. I always do this because it gathers up all the bits and pieces and puts them into a common directory. That way I don't have to worry about losing or accidentally deleting something I used in a project. Jerry Schwartz
leeroyzzz [Avatar]
[Post New]
Great thanks.
Do most people export the project to archive?
It seems like a whole lot of harddrive space but I guess drives are cheap nowadays.
thanks

jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Great thanks.
Do most people export the project to archive?
It seems like a whole lot of harddrive space but I guess drives are cheap nowadays.
thanks

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but it's either that or lose it. When I get around to it, I'll copy them to some kind of offline storage. That's when packaging comes in handy. Jerry Schwartz
leeroyzzz2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 27, 2011 17:29 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Well I did go and buy this product but now I found out that the version I bought does not support blue ray?
I thought the 64but version was just that- for a 64bit OS.
How do I fix this?
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi leeroyzzz2,

Of the 2 versions of PD9 available, did you purchase the Deluxe version?
Have a look here at a comparison chart of the features available in each version.
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/compare_en_US.html

If you erroneously purchased the version you didn't want, your best bet is probably to contact CL support to see if they can help you out. Especially if it's all within the 30 day window. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips