Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What screen capture/recording software do you use?
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All

Just a quick question.

Which screen capture/recording software do you use?

I've Googled it and there are so many that I was just wondering what the team was using Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I use CamStudio, but often find the video it creates will not edit, or at least will not look good after it is edited. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
Cap'n Kevin
Senior Contributor Location: Chebeague Island, Maine Joined: Dec 26, 2008 20:22 Messages: 2011 Offline
[Post New]
Camstasia Studio....Specifically Camtasia Recorder which is a part of the Suite.

Like Jaime-esque said, in earlier builds the avi that it creates wasn't very happy in the 64-bit version. In many cases you couldn't even import it into a project But I have tested a few different avi video codecs that can be selected in Camtasia Recorder in build 2405 and it seems much happier with most of them. The default "Techsmith video codec" can now be used where it couldn't before. The benefit of that codec is that the file sizes are much smaller and I don't have to do a reduction step to get the file sizes smaller.

Kevin
Check out PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials and more! Over 5,000 Subscribers.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I use Windows Media Encoder, the same program used to create WMV profiles. It has a screen capture function that, if set properly, will give you a crystal clear capture.
The second one I use is from KoyoteSoft. It will capture the mouse with left-right click choices. Also very good quality.
Both are free. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
CamStudio is a different product than Camtasia.

The codec used is the main problem for many screen capture software. Until recently even Kevin had major problems as he mentioned. The free Lagarith capture codec was the only one around which a 64bit system liked.

There are two types of screen capture software.

One captures to a proprietary file extension which then has to be converted in a second half of the program. While another type captures directly to an avi format.

Many programs are available for editors which appear to do the task and then fall down on output resolution. Check you can record from a microphone as you capture and/or you can capture with "stereo mix" engaged. The latter allows for a video and sound capture from a screen.

I currently have a number of capture programs.
Techsmith's Camtasia
FoxMagic's ScreenVirtuoso Pro
Microsoft Expression Encoder 4
The last one is Free and is my current preferred choice. It has a 10 minute max for the free version. Suits my needs.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 12. 2011 06:09

amanda88 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 18, 2011 02:52 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Yeah, there are so many screen recorders on market, which makes us comfused. If you want to record video from your computer with high quality, you should choose the right program.

The one I used can help you record any streaming video and audio files on computer with decent quality, what you got is exactly the same as the original video played on computer. It can help record any actions you made on screen, including move the cursor, launch a program, type text, click button, select menus etc. So I often use it to copy screen video to make demo video, so people can better understand.

And it help you save the video to standard video format file, you can also convert the video format, so you can transfer it to your portable gadget or upload to video sharing websites.
rbowser [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Aug 08, 2011 16:48 Messages: 515 Offline
[Post New]
Snagit. I used to use Camtasia, but Snagit is slicker, imho.

RB
[Post New]
If you're recording a direct-x 3d application (game) the best I've found is Dxtory (better than FRAPS)
Hugo Geyskens
Newbie Location: Antwerp, Belgium Joined: Aug 21, 2011 11:25 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
The one that strikes me by it's extreme small filesizes is the screenrecorder of Webex. A web communication software. But I guess (never tried it) that the codec will be extremely 'unmanageable' too : for editing...
Hugo
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I have been using Ashampoo Snap!4.
Very inexpensive, works great, captures mouse-clicks, too. Plenty of custom settings and capture formats.
Snap!5 is out now, under $20, but I think it's on sale now for 12 bucks. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT