Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot produce mpeg4 video
sugarpopspetestudio [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2010 08:41 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I've searched the forum but don't see anyone else with this problem. I cannot produce a video in mpeg4 or AVC. The program doesn't freeze, because I can cancel the rendering if I wish, but it doesn't produce anything, either. The hard disk access light on the computer flashes, so it is obviously trying to do the production, but then it just stops trying. I can do AVI or WMV.

The version is 8.00.3022, on Windows 7. I am thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling the software. Any suggestions?
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi

Welcome to the forum!

What raw file is in your timeline that you are trying to produce?

How far through producing does it go eg 20%?

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

[Post New]
Hi!

The file is AVI. I also tried with a VOB file. The video did not produce at all, staying at 0%.

I just tried to produce an mpeg4 again, a moment ago, and this time it worked! So now I am not sure what to think, but it is, at any rate, working now. I would like to know what caused it to not work before, but unless it quits working again I guess it will remain a mystery, for now at least.

Thanks for your reply; I will repost if it fails again.
[Post New]
It actually has happened again. I was able to produce part of a project (I am doing it in several parts to upload to youtube - not using PowerDirector's uploader, however, because I do videos longer than 10 minutes), but when I tried to do the other half of it, the program did as before: the progress bar sits at 0% and the program does nothing.

The source file is a .vob. Hard to believe this is the problem, because I have often produced these projects with no trouble at all.

The "Produced" gets to 2.6 mb and thats as far as she goes!

As before, I can produce an AVI file no problem. Also MPeg2.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 09. 2011 21:21

Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
How much memory do you have to work with on your computer?

Cheers!
Kevin R. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
[Post New]
I have 4gb ram, and the hard drive has 40gb free. Think this is my problem?

I have a secondary drive with over 300 gb free, but am not sure how to direct the program to utilize this space.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2011 20:10

Kevin R.
Contributor Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas Joined: Aug 17, 2010 15:58 Messages: 320 Offline
[Post New]
Eehhhhhhh not really! That should work, it's not a LARGE amount, but should suffice. Are you having this trouble with all your files or just that one in partiqular? Being able to produce the same project in other formats is what seems off to me.
If this happens with all of them, then I'm sorry, but maybe someone with a little more experience can help. If it's just that one, then I tend to believe the file is corrupted somehow.

Good Luck with this and I hope you find it to be something simple!
Cheers!
Kevin R. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.
[Post New]
It has happened on a couple of different files. I don't know if they can be corrupt though; wouldn't that stop them from producing as mpeg2 or avi? And yet they do produce in those file types. But perhaps you are right.

It's a real mystery to me. Thanks for your help, Kevin.
[Post New]
Try this before producing:

1. To avoid any compatibility issues, please close all other software and utility applications including virus scans,
screen saver and instant messaging software before you launch \
PowerDirector.

2. Empty the contents of the C:\Windows\temp folder and C:\temp folder, if you have one.
To open temp folder, kindly follow the path:
Click on “Start” -> select “Run” command then type “%temp%” to open the temp folder. Select
all files of the temp folder and delete them.
Empty the 'Recycle Bin' folder. Right click on the Recycle Bin folder and press on Empty folder.

3. Try to burn the project in the lowest possible recording speed to ensure the best quality and the
integrity of the video. This option can be found by selecting Configuration button on the 'Burn' Configuration page.

4. Start Windows in Selective Startup mode, do the following steps:
a. Click on Start.
b. Click on Run.
c. Type “msconfig” and click on OK.
d. A System Configuration Utility window will come up.
e. On General tab, select Selective Startup.
f. Uncheck "Load Startup Items".
g. Click on Apply.
h. Click on OK.
i. Click on Close.
j. It will ask you to restart your computer. Click on "Restart".

5. Update the drivers of your Display card and the Sound card. To update the drivers
I would suggest you to contact the manufacturers of the Display card and Sound cards or visit their website.
Chicago Web Design & SEO
http://cybersmartwebmarketing.com/
[Post New]
Tried all these things except for the sound/video card updates (my husband just did that two weeks ago). Nothing seems to help; the program estimates the size of the video, and then starts to produce it, gets to about 2 mb or so, and stops.

Perhaps the video is just corrupt in some way. I gave up and produced it as an mpeg2 instead.

Thanks for the reply, though!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12. 2011 08:48

Kevin R.
[Post New]
Mpeg2's are not bad things in anyway. I actually use they format more than any others for a lot of my stuff. Takes up much less room. Saving the world, one goofy video and meme at a time.