Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 9 Ultra 64 - final video is choppy/jerky
Jain74 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 28, 2010 15:15 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

I recently installed PowerDirector 9 Ultra 64. My hardware setup is 64 bit Windows 7, i7 2.8GHz, 8GB RAM. My HD Camcorder is a Canon Vixia HFS10.

When I download the .mts files from my camcorder to my computer, they play nice and smooth with no choppiness. However, when I put the video clips into PD9 and "Produce" a movie, the resultant final video is very choppy and jerky. I used 3 of the H.264-AVC options (AVCHD 1920x1080, AVCHD 1920x1080p, and AVCHD 1920x1080 24Mbps) and 2 of the MPEG-2 options (HD MPEG-2 1080i and BD 1920 x 1080). So, basically, I produced the movie using 5 different parameters. But, all of them are choppy. The H.264 rendered videos are the worst.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 06. 2011 21:59

Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Jain74 and welcome.

If you could supply a Dxdiag.txt, instructions here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

This will give us a lot of information about your system that will let us know if there is something amiss. Usually choppy video is caused by a system struggling with the amount of information and Blu-ray quality video takes a lot of horsepower in both CPU and GPU to run it smoothly. It could also be a codec issue.

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Jain74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you Robert2 S for the quick reply.

I am attaching the dxdiag.txt file as requested. Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated!!
 Filename
Jain74DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Jain74DxDiag txt file
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
486 time(s)
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Jain74 for the DxDiag.txt.

First thing I noticed is that your video card drivers are from March last year. When editing video it is important to keep your video drivers up to date. Make sure you download the latest drivers from ATI and not HP as the people who make the computers don't always have the latest drivers on their websites.

Just because you are so polite I have found them for you. The latest drivers are from Dec last year and you can download them from here.
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

Cheers

Robert2 S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Jain74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Robert2 S,

Thanks very much again for the quick response and very appreciative for the link to update my display driver. I updated the driver (I've attached an updated dxdiag file after the update to this response). I then produced my short video into AVCHD 1920x1080p which is what I want. But, again the resultant video is choppy.

Any other suggestions? Appreciate your time!

Jain74
 Filename
Jain74(2)DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
34 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
418 time(s)
Robert2 S
[Post New]
OK just to test to see if it is as codec issue or the power of your system, could you produce a video exactly the same as the first ones but at 1280X720 instead of 1920X1080.

If that doesn't work a couple of things to try.

1. Download Splashlite a very good free video player.
http://www.mirillis.com/en/downloads/downloads.html

or VLC player another great free video player.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

2. Lastly if that doesn't help one last thing is to download the Standard Klite codec pack.
EDIT=====Dafydd mentioned in one of the treads that Klite may cause problems (I have not had any problems with it but best to be safe than sorry) and recommends FFDshow codec pack.
http://www.free-codecs.com/ffdshow_download.htm
http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

If it is still jerky I am just about at the end of my knowledge and maybe someone else would like to chip in with their thoughts.

Cheers

Robert2 S

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 07. 2011 16:34

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Robert2 S
[Post New]
See my previous post re an edit to the information. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Jain74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Robert2 S,

Thanks again for your suggestions. Again, appreciate your time.

1. I produced my video using 1280x720. But, it was still choppy.
2. I tried the free players but that didn't work either.
3. I'm a little nervous installing the codecs that you suggested. Since Windows Media Player is able to play the native AVCHD .mts files from my camera smoothly, I would imagine that it should also play the AVCHD files produced from PD9. So, I'm thinking that it might be the video file itself rather than the codec. I also burned an AVCHD DVD and played it on my blu-ray player...also choppy.

I was doing some search online and came across some discussion on bitrate. Could there be a bitrate mismatch between my native .mts files and the bitrate used by PD9 to produce my videos? If so, would you or anyone else know how to check the bitrate of the native .mts files and the bitrate used in PD9.

Thanks again!!
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Jain74,

You can check the bitrate using a great free program called Mediainfo Google will find a download for you.

The higher the bit rate the more demands on our system. One last thing from me is produce a test video at 1280X720 at 12-15K and see if that helps.

If it is still jerky I am at the end of my knowledge, maybe someone else can chip in with some advice.

Cheers

Robert2 S

My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
pjc3
Senior Member Location: Australia Joined: May 29, 2010 19:33 Messages: 247 Offline
[Post New]
? PAL vs NTSC issue. Check your preferences perhaps. Panasonic SD9, Panasonic TM700, Panasonic SD600, GoPro HD Hero.
Jain74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Robert2 S,

I went back and checked the 1280 x 720 video that I created earlier...I was mistaken...I must have chosen the wrong option because it was the same file size as the 1080p version. So, I produced the video using the default 1280 x 720 settings and it worked!! The choppiness was gone! REALLY APPRECIATE your help!

You wouldn't by chance know what I would need to do in order to produce videos at 1080p without the choppiness? Not the end of the world if I can't but I figure it'd be nice to be able to produce FULL HD videos.

Thanks again!
Robert2 S
[Post New]
Jain74,

My only thinking when it works fine with 720 but chokes at 1080 is you need more power. I notice that your have an i7 860 cpu with plenty of ram so my only other thought would be your video card.

I don't know enough about the ATI range of cards so I don't know if an ATI Radeon HD 4850 is a high end card or a run of the mill unit. I did notice that your HP Pavilion Elite HPE-350T is a mini-tower which usually means home office basic computing. Maybe someone else here who runs ATI graphics cards can chime in with some answers.

I will say though editing 1080 @ 24bits is very high end consumer video, the camera I am using for my hang gliding videos only shoots at a maximum 1080 @ 12Mbits so effectively you are trying to edit twice the information I am, even though it is the same screen size.

Cheers

James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
An ATI 4850 was near the top before the HD5000 series came out. Jain's system should breeze through this just fine. My low end media PC (dual core) has integrated HD4200 video and plays HD smoothly without issue in splash. However, I should mention that most demanding files I've played were 1920x1080i at 24 Mb/s not 1080p.

Do you have hardware (GPU) acceleration turned on when you use Splash Lite?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 08. 2011 08:05

Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
James W
Senior Contributor Location: Lakeland, FL USA Joined: Aug 18, 2008 10:36 Messages: 911 Offline
[Post New]
Can you upload a small clip (5-10 seconds) for us to test. Perhaps a small clip of the original video and a small clip of what you rendered using PD9. Maybe one of us could test your clip on our system. Q9300 2.5 GHz
4 GB Ram
Nvidia 9800 GT
Jain74 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi James W,

I am out of town for the next month. When I get back in mid February, I'll upload a short 10 sec clip of the original video and the PD9 edited video. Thanks!
PWee [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Florida Joined: Feb 23, 2016 14:07 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
PD 16 produced and burned video fine for over a year and now I find only one produced and burned video is sort of stuttering. I mean it is not smooth. Any video on the project runs fine but any pictures that have made use of the PIP designer are jerky, not smooth. It is noticable. Other video subsequent to the jerky one produces and burns fine. Also, how can I burn in H254 in Premiere Elements and not in PD16 on the same PC? I've enjpyed this software but these problems have me baffled and frustrated. The more people I know, the more I love my dog.
[Post New]
Quote Jain74,

You can check the bitrate using a great free program called Mediainfo Google will find a download for you.

The higher the bit rate the more demands on our system. One last thing from me is produce a test video at 1280X720 at 12-15K and see if that helps.

If it is still jerky I am at the end of my knowledge, maybe someone else can chip in with some advice.

Cheers

Robert2 S

==========================================================================

Not Exactly the same issue but I have been searching for answers and followed the bread crumbs to this thread and hope you can help. This was the postI left on Photodirector 9's forum Oops.
=============================================

Hello, USMC0311 here. New to the Forum but have owned PDR6 and was pretty much forced to upgraded to PDR9 with Wave editor due to the end of life support for PDR6 I was pretty excited and figured 3 generations/versions of software development and all the sales hype you see now that the platform wouldn't have the same problems running along side other common applications and software programs. So they recommend running it alone same issues.

Regarding the creation of slideshows with PDR9 and the many & varied templates that are available do not mean much if they are unreliable, unstable or do not function in my PDR9 I cannot get past the selection and placement of my slides whether its a few or many, with or without any of the desired transitions or effects. This due to a repeatable error in the program that crashes EVERY time I selct the "Slideshow" tab after populating my timeline with my images or titles. Very frustrating. I Ilready have a support ticket with techs at Cyberlink but unfortunetly no solutions offered, just the laundry list of requested data and images they needed to address my issues. Do you have any information or knowledge of others with this issue/ Windows 7 64 bit, 6 GB Ram, 600 Gb HDD Internal, w/External 1TB, Intel Core I5 460M prosessors, Switchable Graphics /AMD 6300 M Series Graphics card w/intel HD Graphics with updated drivers. I would really like to finish a family video/slideshow and cannot. I have made over 30 shows for numerous events and family occasions with PDR6 but I am ready to dump Cyberlink and PDR9 software unless somebody can help me with a fix or work around.

Your input or feedback along with others in this forum regarding my issues would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,
USMC0311
Semper Fi Honor, Country and Corps
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Jain74,

Cheers

Robert2 S

Not Exactly the same issue but I have been searching for answers and followed the bread crumbs to this thread and hope you can help. This was the postI left on Photodirector 9's forum Oops.

Hello, USMC0311 here. New to the Forum but have owned PDR6 and was pretty much forced to upgraded to PDR9 with Wave editor due to the end of life support for PDR6 I was pretty excited and figured 3 generations/versions of software development and all the sales hype you see now that the platform wouldn't have the same problems running along side other common applications and software programs. So they recommend running it alone same issues.

Regarding the creation of slideshows with PDR9 and the many & varied templates that are available do not mean much if they are unreliable, unstable or do not function in my PDR9 I cannot get past the selection and placement of my slides whether its a few or many, with or without any of the desired transitions or effects. This due to a repeatable error in the program that crashes EVERY time I selct the "Slideshow" tab after populating my timeline with my images or titles. Very frustrating. I Ilready have a support ticket with techs at Cyberlink but unfortunetly no solutions offered, just the laundry list of requested data and images they needed to address my issues. Do you have any information or knowledge of others with this issue/ Windows 7 64 bit, 6 GB Ram, 600 Gb HDD Internal, w/External 1TB, Intel Core I5 460M prosessors, Switchable Graphics /AMD 6300 M Series Graphics card w/intel HD Graphics with updated drivers. I would really like to finish a family video/slideshow and cannot. I have made over 30 shows for numerous events and family occasions with PDR6 but I am ready to dump Cyberlink and PDR9 software unless somebody can help me with a fix or work around.

Your input or feedback along with others in this forum regarding my issues would be greatly appreciated

Thank you,
USMC0311
Semper Fi

You should really start a new thread as this one is very, very, old. However, check that you have the latest patch for PD9 (Build 3305) There is a reference in the patch to slideshows. If that doesn't work try starting a new thread. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]
Quote Jain74,

Cheers

Robert2 S

Thank you,
USMC0311
Semper Fi

You should really start a new thread as this one is very, very, old. However, check that you have the latest patch for PD9 (Build 3305) There is a reference in the patch to slideshows. If that doesn't work try starting a new thread.

Ok thank you for your response. I will check it put. Honor, Country and Corps