Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
2504 PATCH released
[Post New]
This patch appears (at least) to fix issues with YouTube, Facebook, WMV.....and many more....Also installs new version of WaveEditor.

Getit! Install it....then see if you are fixed!

http://www.cyberlink.com/downloads/support/powerdirector/patches_en_US.html

I just installed it and much better!!

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 05. 2011 16:49

CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Fred

They still haven't fixed the image stretch mode defect
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15050.page Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

[Post New]
Neil;
Although, there are probably many things that they haven't fixed (before more people start-in on this thread), I would rather focus on the ones this DOES fix! Looks like it might be a step in the right direction!!
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Fred

Notwithstanding the fact that CL did not have to take any 'steps'.

All they had to do was build on the already well structured PD8.

It's like buying a new model car only to find the engine is from a model made years ago.

CL has a lot to answer to on this new release

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

[Post New]
Ok, sorry;
If you are using analogies, for me, it is more like going new car shopping and being very excited to find a car with all kinds of new features, and having some recent purchaser/owner, show up and start complaining, 'cause the old car HE had before had an ASHTRAY, and the new one doesn't!!! Then when I call in to in to get help ('cause the owner has a free support line), I can't get through, 'cause that same guy is still complaining about the ASHTRAY...Get it?

I think the new program works MUCH better than the old. Yes transistions...yes stretch/shrink...yes youtube posting...and others are still open items, but I like what the new program DOES, not hate what it doesn't.

All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Did a quick project using several AVCHD videos. I'm afraid that release 2230a was more stable. 2504 has crashed on several times using a project that release 2230a sailed past with ease. Cannot determine a the moment what the cause as the crashes are not consistent. Will follow up ASAP. Win 10, i7
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Just 2 cents worth.

I agree with FredB in principle, and I do understand that the sales and marketing of software is a different animal than other goods and services one purchases. For instance, Ford would not ship the 2011 version of their Mustang, if Ford knew that the windows only went half way down, and then ask each consumer to just be patient for a couple of months till the free upgrade replacement parts reach the dealership. But with software, there’s a different set of rules I guess. Still I’m still puzzled why so many “fundamental” issues reported in PD9 Beta testing, were not addressed before PD9’s final release.

My current pet peeve with PD9 (among many), is that if I place a 25 second image or clip into the timeline, and then open PIP Designer to add some motion using numerous Key Frames, if I now decide to reduce this clips duration to 15 seconds, instead of the Key Frames automatically adjusting and comporting to the new duration, any Key Frames beyond the 15 seconds mark are now lost.
I find it hard to wrap my brain around why in PD9, owing to going… “64 Bit”, this now precludes PD9 from being able to have Key Frames automatically adjust to comport with a duration change, instead of disappearing. If one has applied Key Frames, you now can not go back and change/edit the media’s duration. If you do, much of your work in applying these Key Frames is destroyed.
And this because PD9 is now 64 Bit? Well, perhaps. But probably indirectly.

Though I’m by no means a tech guy, it appears to me that many areas of PD9 were completely re-written. This I assume this was necessary to make it work in the 64 Bit environment. But it also seems that perhaps some bits of minutiae simply fell through the cracks during the re-write of our new PD. And when these fundamental bits were discovered to be awry, as reported in beta testing (two months before PD9’s release), yet seemingly went unaddressed by CL, well… that’s frustrating.

I’m sticking with PD9, as I really like all of the new features. It just takes longer to accomplish many familiar tasks, as workarounds need to be applied to avoid problems like the one described above. So I think it is reasonable to expect that members here will voice their frustration when discovering that many long standing, fundamental, and familiar options in PD, are now either broken, missing, or require 2 to 3 extra steps to accomplish.

But as long as we remain reasonable and respectful in voicing our frustrations, I believe a bit of polite dissonance can be healthy for PD9 and Cyberlink. Especially if it causes CL to consider addressing some of these remaining issues sooner than later.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2011 22:27

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
BillyC56 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 12, 2010 10:31 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Did a quick project using several AVCHD videos. I'm afraid that release 2230a was more stable. 2504 has crashed on several times using a project that release 2230a sailed past with ease. Cannot determine a the moment what the cause as the crashes are not consistent. Will follow up ASAP.

ouch,I think I'll stick with the older version for a while.PD9 is working pretty good for me lately,except for when I turn my printer on and PD9 crashes,sometimes...I use a lot of AVCHD files since my other .mov format i had been recording in caused a lot of crashing.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 05. 2011 23:06

1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
I have read this thread 6 times today,
and even when I'm in here, I'm not sure if I should dive in- or not...

To me it's an essential thread, adressing essential question(s).
"Who am I" (PD) "What am I" (PD) "Where am I going?" (PD)

- A consumer video editing software.....but wanting to be more!!?
More what? More "pro"? "Semi-pro"? More "consumer"?

During Beta-testing we had discussions, good ones (and some crazy ones when we were tired),
and these questions were up for discussion. We should not start again here.

Carsten's words carry weight with me.
I've been fortunate to see some of the (creative)work he has done using PD.
What is not up for debate is his knowledge of this software, no matter which number.

I think a few others will agree with Carsten's words:

Still I’m still puzzled why so many “fundamental” issues reported in PD9 Beta testing, were not addressed
before PD9’s final release.

- and we stick with what he says:

But as long as we remain reasonable and respectful in voicing our frustrations, I believe a bit of polite dissonance can be healthy for PD9 and Cyberlink. Especially if it causes CL to consider addressing some of these remaining issues sooner than later.

See - this post of mine is not necessary at all, I told you so to start with.
I just could not let the thread drift away in oblivion without saying;
I hear you -
and you are voicing some of my thoughts.

And just sometimes, this forum benefits of/from members knowledge and creativity and not
only of gigs- and specs-discussions (which, by the way, oftentimes are necessary).

Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
jerrys
Senior Contributor Location: New Britain, CT, USA (between New York and Boston) Joined: Feb 10, 2010 21:36 Messages: 1038 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Just 2 cents worth.

I agree with FredB in principle, and I do understand that the sales and marketing of software is a different animal than other goods and services one purchases. For instance, Ford would not ship the 2011 version of their Mustang, if Ford knew that the windows only went half way down, and then ask each consumer to just be patient for a couple of months till the free upgrade replacement parts reach the dealership. But with software, there’s a different set of rules I guess. Still I’m still puzzled why so many “fundamental” issues reported in PD9 Beta testing, were not addressed before PD9’s final release.

Cars are often recalled. When did a car manufacturer ever say "There's a problem, and we're working on it"?
Quote:
Though I’m by no means a tech guy, it appears to me that many areas of PD9 were completely re-written.

Obviously -- the concept of a "master" track was abolished. That is certainly a big difference in what you might call the philosophy of the program.
Quote: This I assume this was necessary to make it work in the 64 Bit environment.

Changing the program to run with 64-bit capabilities is a relatively minor, albeit error-prone, endeavor. This was a major redesign. It could have stayed a 32-bit program. The biggest difference is the amount of memory a 64-bit program can access.

Quote:

No doubt. Jerry Schwartz
Robert123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 27, 2009 17:56 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...Get it?

No Fred. Not even in the slightest. This very practice of premature software launching to a new major revision is a common practice run rampant amongst software companies. Some are more successful than others at pulling it off successfully, but they're far in the minority. There's a fundamental flaw in the concept of putting out half-baked products and expect the buying community to put up with the fall-out and frustration born out of irresponsibility for the next 6 months, all the while the company is getting revenue and free troubleshooting at the customer's expense.

I'm watching this release of PD9 carefully because I will not contribute to this practice any longer. It happened in PD8 and the cycle continues. Product development stopped in July 2010 and however it functioned is how it has remained while all the attention went to preparing the next version. Look at the Cyberlink PD9 product page and notice how it's full of amazing promises of unprecedented features and performance, yet there continues to be the dreaded half-year new revision bug-fest that causes major compromise to those that bought the marketing hype yet one more time. Tell you what; how about customers with genuine program faults get back 50% of what they paid, put it in escrow and it can be forwarded to Cyberlink as the issues are solved until the performance of the product lives up to all promises?

This isn't just Cyberlink. I abandoned Adobe's Premier Elements when they did the same thing, but they got my $100, so now it sits here in the box because it was a miserable experience to use it. And it wasn't just me. These were well-known, Adobe acknowledged bugs that they conceded in the forums but were quite cavalier to sweep them under the rug and expect everyone to get out their wallets for the new version. The next version often doesn't work much better by the time the next revision comes around. It only has more form than function over the previous version (that's still often crippled to some degree). Most people end up finding a way to work around these leftover issues, and the ones that don't exploit the program's full-feature set pathetically chime into the forums and say "it's doing what I want it to, what's your problem?". If anything was a case for regulation, this is a prime example. Companies would be forced to complete a product to a given standard of integrity compared against what it's claims are and whatever is lacking in the existing product must be resolved before launching the next major revision, and that revision, with all it's new capabilities must meet a particular level of competency before it can come to market, not put it out and let the community pay to do their R & D.

As far as analogies, I'd like to see your reaction when you sit to watch a new big screen TV and within 30 minutes several functions don't work properly. The PIP is glitchy, 3 channels don't come in HD, volume is soft on even channels but slightly louder on odd channels. Maybe when you do your laundry, your new washer with the fancy presets and creature-features decides not to go through the rinse cycle every other time. Shall I go on? No, I could do it all day. No company would get away with that because you wouldn't tolerate it. Just because this is software, there's no difference. How about we give refunds to those that don't want to wait or issues don't get resolved? Would you not expect that with your new faulty washing machine or TV? You'd be on the phone within seconds.

Ok, enough ranting from me. I only came here to read and wasn't going to comment, but was compelled to because I can't understand why there's apologists that only perpetuate this rediculously outrageous concept. I haven't tried PD9 and have no intention to until I see the wake of any negative issues subside considerably. There's way too much apathy and those of us who conceptually do our homework and research through all the rhetoric, expecting "all the TV channels" to work as advertised after payment in full and have taken delivery, we're not the crybabies who dropped the ball, one more time. Afterall, we did our part; we paid.

Not trying to make over-exagerated claims, just excercise good 'ol fashioned pragmatism and common sense. No one needs to be offended and hopefully doesn't take anything directly or personally.

This message was edited 6 times. Last update was at Jan 08. 2011 03:11

CubbyHouseFilms
[Post New]

Well said Robert - I couldn't agree more. These are excellent comments and observations you have made. : :

I am sure there are alot of forum members that agree with you.
All CL had to do was listened to and implement the issues raised by the PD9 Beta testing team.

Until all the issues have been fixed and a mega patch or even a complete rebuild is done, I for one , will not be using PD9 exclusively.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 08. 2011 05:11

Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel