Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Converting videos to 480 x 320 pixels, H.264 video, and file type m4v for streaming
smead [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 13, 2008 00:04 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have a pogoplug connected to the internet which I use to stream videos to my pda (LG Eve).

I need to convert the videos to 480 x 320 pixels, H.264 video, and file type m4v for streaming.

I have searched PowerDirector9Ultra and MediaExpresso for Device=pogoplug or Device=LG Eve. Neither of these devices are available.

Does anyone know how to create this type of file or how to create a custom profile to create the file?
James Dotson
Senior Contributor Location: Tennessee Joined: Aug 24, 2009 20:40 Messages: 3066 Offline
[Post New]
I believe m4v is a protected file type used by Apple. Probably the best you could do is look through the MP4 or device profiles and find one that matches. You may be able to create a custom profile, but it will be MP4, not M4V. Try a short one to see if it works. __________________________________
CORNBLOSSOM
smead [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 13, 2008 00:04 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
You can download mp4 files with the pogoplug. And then play the file locally on the downloading device.

But I am looking to stream m4v files with the pogoplug to a remote device for viewing. This way no storage is used to hold the entire video file on the remote device.

Apple does use the m4v file type to allow copyright protection of the files you download from ITunes. The files I create do not have copyright protection.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Just try renaming the file extension. Both .m4v and .mp4 are often identical. Worth a try??

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
angela123
Senior Member Location: new york Joined: Nov 24, 2015 21:53 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
I just filmed three shows in the studio, and they used a file called m4v. The only other option was
.mov. Does my pd 16 work with these file types? I can't see them when I try to import.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2021 12:07

BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I am looking for an authentic m4v to test. If one of my programs can make one I'll share it. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I did find a file, altered the extension and it was fine in PD13 and 17.
The file had no apparent audio track. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
angela123
Senior Member Location: new york Joined: Nov 24, 2015 21:53 Messages: 233 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I did find a file, altered the extension and it was fine in PD13 and 17.
The file had no apparent audio track.

Hi Barry, thanks for this info. The support ticket people at Cyberlink told me to "check to see if my file is compatible."
In some places I read tht m4v is compatible, and some say it's not.... Then, I download the updated drivers they said to download, One of them, the Radion software adrenalin package, said "oops, you do not have the required hardware for AMD." See attached.
Not sure what it means.... and, what if I updgrade to 365, will I still have problems importing m4v after I spend money to upgrade? Who knows...
[Thumb - amd graphics hardware  NEEDED needed.png]
 Filename
amd graphics hardware NEEDED needed.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
821 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
3 time(s)
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]

Hi Barry, thanks for this info. The support ticket people at Cyberlink told me to "check to see if my file is compatible."
In some places I read tht m4v is compatible, and some say it's not.... Then, I download the updated drivers they said to download, One of them, the Radion software adrenalin package, said "oops, you do not have the required hardware for AMD." See attached.
Not sure what it means.... and, what if I updgrade to 365, will I still have problems importing m4v after I spend money to upgrade? Who knows...

Hi,
I've downloaded three .m4v files from three differing sites - 2 contained audio, 1 was video only.

My PDR16.0.2816.0 imported them unaltered and opened them all perfectly on the timeline.

I can confirm they all worked perfectly in my PDR365 Business 19.2.2520.0 as well.

It would be interesting to either get a copy of your file to test, or get the MediaInfo data from the file to compare and see if anything stands out?

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator

For customer support related issues, please contact:
- Customer service: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do
- Technical support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/service/technical-support.do
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Does PD 16 claim to import M4v?
Perhaps an install of a codec pack may help. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
angela123
[Post New]
Quote Does PD 16 claim to import M4v?
Perhaps an install of a codec pack may help.

If it doesn't claim to import m4v, then how did you and the other person do it? I keep trying to share the file in response to the moderator, but the page crashes. I will try here to the youtube link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq97_CDKLUc
 Filename
CAMERAclub.mp4
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
5073 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
95 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21. 2021 15:59

angela123
[Post New]
Quote Does PD 16 claim to import M4v?
Perhaps an install of a codec pack may help.

How does one install a "codec" pack?
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote How does one install a "codec" pack?

Maybe we should take this one step at a time. The clip you uploaded is an MP4, not m4v. Is that the original clip that you weren't able to import into PD16?

If so, are you able to bring it into PD16 and place it on the timeline for editing?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 21. 2021 16:13

angela123
[Post New]

Maybe we should take this one step at a time. The clip you uploaded is an MP4, not m4v. Is that the original clip that you weren't able to import into PD16?

If so, are you able to bring it into PD16 and place it on the timeline for editing?

Here is a snapshot, it says what it is, m4v. However, I will try to rename the extension and see if that works. Thanks.
[Thumb - mv4 youtube.png]
 Filename
mv4 youtube.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
327 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
4 time(s)
angela123
[Post New]

Here is a snapshot, it says what it is, m4v. However, I will try to rename the extension and see if that works. Thanks.

WOW WOW WOW! I learn something new every day! I simply had to rename it .mp4 and it worked! Thanks everyone, have a great rest of the weekend. I am very greatful!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
That's great to hear. Renaming the clip to MP4 was vn800rider's suggestion in the 4th post, and you can also import it directly into PD without renaming if you change the file selection settings like this:

angela123
[Post New]
Quote Just try renaming the file extension. Both .m4v and .mp4 are often identical. Worth a try??

Cheers
Adrian

Thanks! I am sorry I hadn't seen this suggestion, it worked!
angela123
[Post New]
Quote That's great to hear. Renaming the clip to MP4 was vn800rider's suggestion in the 4th post, and you can also import it directly into PD without renaming if you change the file selection settings like this:

I will also do this suggestion for future importing. Thanks again!
angela123
[Post New]

I will also do this suggestion for future importing. Thanks again!

How do I find the place to change to 'all" on my pc, is it in control panel?
optodata
[Post New]
Quote How do I find the place to change to 'all" on my pc, is it in control panel?

No, that's a composite screenshot of the Import media Files... window, and you would click on the drop-down arrow for the Files of type: list. You'll need to do that each time you want to import one or more m4v files so that PD will not exclude them.

The bottom section of the screenshot shows what your m4v clips looks like whenPD is ready to import it.