Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Resizing clips using click and drag is now very difficult
QuikScholes [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 05, 2010 04:11 Messages: 35 Offline
[Post New]
I put 3 clips on the timeline, on clip 1 I shorten the clip by clicking and dragging the end, the 2cd and 3rd clip move to close any gap, good. I then decide I moved it just a bit too much so I click and drag to lengthen it slightly and I get a red no entry sign. Shouldn't it allow me to do this and move clips 2 and three further up the timeline? If I drag clip 2 to the right and choose insert it then creates a gap between 2 and 3 for no reason. I then have to right click the gap and choose remove and close gap. If I decide the join isn't quite right when previewing the clips together and I have to resize I have to go through this process again. If I want to drag the front of a clip to lengthen it again I get a no entry sign. This is making small edits take ages with all this extra dragging and manual closing of gaps. If I choose the trim editor all works as expected with the other clips moving up and down the timeline in relation to the new clip size. Any idea how I can fix this?
SpiffPeters007 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 27, 2010 13:40 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
I have experienced this too. I do not believe I had this problem in PD8. It was only after upgrading to PD9 that I noticed this behavior.

I have to click on the Duration button to extend the duration on a clip, whereas in PD8 I could simply drag the clip.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Quik & Spiff,

This issue was reported (many times), during Beta testing.
Perhaps CL will address it in a future update patch.
But till then, it is what it is I guess. Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
QuikScholes [Avatar]
[Post New]
I reinstalled PD8 to check and click and drag works fine. I can't believe CL have taken out this basic and crucial editing feature.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
I read a lot of people complaining about features that worked in PD8 and don't work in PD9.

You have to realize that Cyberlink has completely recoded PowerDirector 9 to be a 64 bit program.

It takes time to iron out all of the changes that took place in the complete recode of a very complicated program. There are going to be bugs that have to be fixed. That will take a bit of time.

In the mean time keep reporting what you find in using the program, Cyberlink will get around to fixing the bugs. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Bill-ATL [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 02, 2009 19:29 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
If you place 2 clips on the timeline and add any transition between the two - I can no longer drag the beginning of the 2nd clip. If you remove the transition, the double arrows return.

Is this a known bug or am I missing so new way to trim the beginning of clips with transition?
Bill-ATL [Avatar]
[Post New]
BUMP

Can anyone confirm this is a bug I need to report or a known issue? If the latter, how do I get around it?
deklerkt [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 13, 2011 06:34 Messages: 47 Offline
[Post New]
In respect to inserting stuff where there is currently no room (other than allowing overlap transitions) in PD9 you can select all items to the right and group them. If on multiple tracks, also select "Link multiple tracks". That way you can move the group to the right to make room for the expanded first clip. And when done, right click on the gap and chose to remove it. The entire righthand group will then move.

A bit cumbersome perhaps, but it does work.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
If you use an overlap transition you cannot grab the left hand edge of the right most clip. You need to remove the transition to be able to do so.

If you use a cross transition it is still possible to do grab the left edge.

I assume it is because with an overlap transition you have "in effect" used the left edge as part of the transition and therefore the transition would need to be "removed" if you needed to trim that particular part of the "transition".

I doubt it's classed as a bug - more an example of PDs idiosyncratic ways??

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Bill-ATL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry if this is a dumb question and I'm at work right now so I'm not in front of PD9... The transition in question is "Fade" - is that an "overlap" version and where does it state which kind it is?

Is there a workaround - didn't have this issue in PD8.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
By default overlap.
Rightclick transition and you can change to cross.
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
QuikScholes [Avatar]
[Post New]
If you select the clip and hit the "Trim" button you can do the job there, it seems to behave a lot better than drag'n'drop