Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Component Activation
JCM Digital [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2011 17:07 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I just installed the paid, direct download 32-bit version of PD9.0.0.2330 Deluxe (On Windows7), and got an "Activating Component" dialog when importing an AVCHD clip into the library...

The text reads:
"You must first activate this feature before using it. Connect ot the Internet and then try again. Activation is a free and quick process."

The item is "H.264 - Component activation" (there is also another one for MPEG2) and while the note says that activation is free, the bottom line "Remaining: 30 days" has me a little concerned... I can find NO mention of this anywhere in the program help, features, or other documentation, and even talk of this message is pretty hard to find.

I clicked the "Try" button to get past the dialog, while preserving future appearences if needed.

Things with a "time remaining" timestamp often mean that at some point the feature will stop working unless some
additional fee is paid. It could also mean that the feature must be activated within 30 days or something undesired will happen :-/

Does anyone know the full scoop on the Component Activation process and what the 30 days remaining thing is all about? I'd hate to find out later (after my 30 days to return the program have expired) that there will be additional costs to continue using some features, or that it will in some other way hinder my usage of this or other features due to lack of Internet or failure to activate in time...

Thanks in advance for any help! =)
-JCMegabyte
JCMDI.COM
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
hello.
i wouldn't worry about it. i've paid my pd v9 ultra, too.
when it asked me, i just clicked activate! and waited for me to transform into PowerRangers but didn't happen...

no need to have a cow, yet.
welcome to the forum and happy new year!
PepsiMan 'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
gsquaredb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 10, 2011 20:56 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I just installed the program and I have the same issue.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Same issue?

Component activation isn't an issue, it is an action which we all have to carry out while connected to the internet, allowing PD9 access. It is a commercial requirement of the program and is related to the use of particular parts of the software. I suggest you play with PD9 and activate each section - that's what I did. Quite painless if you have allowed PD9 internet access/communication with the net.

There have been issues reported on the forum, in the main they're related to PD9 net access and a members net connection/security settings.

tonycog [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 23, 2011 22:52 Messages: 41 Offline
[Post New]
I am having the same issue/problem. Some of the formats will activate, some will not. Therefore I'm not sure how this can be a connection/security issue.

Tony
gsquaredb [Avatar]
[Post New]
I highly doubt that internet connectivity is the issue.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
I'm requesting more information from CyberLink.

In the mean time, can you both please provide some additional basic information.

See guide information and please provide Part A & B:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

I'd also like to know from whom you purchased PD9, was it direct from CyberLink or a third party etc. At the moment I'm just asking out of curiosity but CL may ask me to obtain some data from you along these lines.

JCM Digital [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2011 17:07 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I never had any problem with the activation itself... I was mostly concerned about the "expires in 30 days" message I received along with the activation message. It has now been far longer than 30 days, and everything is still working.

I suspect that the message meant to say that "this componant will expire in 30 days UNLESS it is activated". They probably give you 30 days to try it out and then require activation (which is included with the better versions of the program) if you want to continue using it. Clearer verbiage would probably prevent a lot of confusion for customers. :

Cheers!

-Chris
JCMDI.COM
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi,
I'm requesting more information from CyberLink.

In the mean time, can you both please provide some additional basic information.

See guide information and please provide Part A & B:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

I'd also like to know from whom you purchased PD9, was it direct from CyberLink or a third party etc. At the moment I'm just asking out of curiosity but CL may ask me to obtain some data from you along these lines.

Hi,

The warning message that pops up could be caused for three reasons:
1) invalid key
2) exceed limit (each key has certain time to activate)
3) internet connection problem.

Patch 2930 fixed one issue in PowerDirector which causes some user's software to involuntarily reach the component activation limit.

PD9 users should make contact with Technical Support for help. Provide proof of purchase and their valid activation
key. In the meantime, update to the latest patch v2930.

Technical Support: https://membership.cyberlink.com/prog/support/cs/service/technical-support.do

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
I suspect that the message meant to say that "this componant will expire in 30 days UNLESS it is activated". They probably give you 30 days to try it out and then require activation (which is included with the better versions of the program) if you want to continue using it. Clearer verbiage would probably prevent a lot of confusion for customers. :

Hi Chris,
I have forwarded your excellent suggestion to CyberLink.

All:
If a member "spots" any concern to do with text, please give your feedback on the forum. There are a lot of warning messages and some certainly do lack sufficient description. The problem is knowing which and what each refer to. If you cause a pop up - snap it and tell us how you caused it to appear - and if you understand the message it carries. I'll pass on your responses to CyberLink. Oh yes and always start a new thread.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2011 04:27

rcalzadilla [Avatar]
Member Location: South Florida Joined: Apr 13, 2011 18:55 Messages: 107 Offline
[Post New]
I have gotten this notification twice during production and I have just chosen to activate. Never had a problem again. EVGA (132-BL-E758-TR) X58 ATX
Intel i7 920 Quad Core
Win 7 Prof, 64 bit
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 285, 1GB
12GB SDRAM DDR3 1600.
Canon Vixia HF S21 (AVCHD)
gsquaredb [Avatar]
[Post New]

I have had no response from support.

Here is my ticket number

CS001037629

your help is much appreciated
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
RE: CS001037629
I have contacted CyberLink.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,
RE: CS001037629
I'm told that CyberLink responded to your enquiry on the 12th and asked for proof of purchase from you, as they'd need to validate your purchase before giving support. Please check your email account and your junk/spam filter set up for the reply. You will need to give the information they requested before proceeding.

inside99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 21, 2011 19:58 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Actually, the 2930 patch does not fix the problem with codec activation.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Todd,

I have removed your first "outburst".
Where and from whom did you purchase PowerDirector 9 from? Give more details and allow members to read your "story". START A NEW TOPIC

You've jumped into other's posts and basically shoved your opinion onto the forum without giving any details.

Today, I'm going to write up a warning to editors NOT to purchase from "unknown" distributors or second hand. Component Activation is there to prevent the abuse of a single licence.

inside99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
My story would just be a repeat of the several that are already on this thread/topic. That is why I jumped into this thread as opposed to starting a new topic. I actually tried all the recommendations on here too.

In short, when I try to import media files (VOB files for me) the pop up box appears:

You must first activate this feature before using it. Connect to the Internet and then try again. Activation is a free and quick process.

MPEG2 - Component activation

The codec trial has expired. Please connect to the Internet to activate now.

--When I click Activate a new pop up reads:
Codec activation incomplete. This may be because the Internet connection was disconnected, or the program activation key is invalid or reached its activation limit.

This is the same message everyone else seems to be getting and is what is also listed under the patch 2930 explanation.

I have PowerDirector 9.0 and am running load 2930 after installing the patch. I purchased the disc in its unopened retail box from eBay. It worked great for about a month or so and now I can't even load my projects created then.

Obviously by other accounts, there is something in my registry that keeps telling PD the codec has expired. It's not an internet connection issue. Uninstalling and reinstalling, new patches, etc. does not fix it. Don't want to purchase a registry cleaner.

After 6 hours yesterday trying to find a solution, yes it is frustrating to see so many others have this problem with no fix in place after all this time. I sent my problem to cust. service and got a ticket #. No reply.

Also, it can't be good when a google search on the issue reveals dozens of software companies that have a "code activation fix for PowerDirector 9" and then requires a membership to even look at what that might be. Yes, that's a sure sign of a software problem. I hope Cyberlink can help sooner than much later.
inside99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry...forgot to mention that I can open wmv files in PD and work with those. The MPEG 2 activation thing is triggering the issue with other file types. Thanks, any help would be appreciated.