Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Rotating objects
TorontoRock [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 06, 2010 16:57 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Just a quick question. In pd8 you can rotate an object initially when you set it on a motion path but if you chage the rotation of the object later in its motion, it changes the rotation for the ENTIRE motion. I was wondering if pd9 allows you to change the rotation of an object as it goes along its motion path without changeing the rotation for the entire motion path. This would allow for more animation type possibilities. Just wondering. Have a good day all
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi TorontoRock,

Unfortunately, the answer is no.

PIP motion in PD9's PIP Designer, is basically identical to PD8.
The workaround is to break your rotating paths up into separate sequences across multiple tracks.
Yes, it’s a bit labor intensive to line things up, as a sequence transitions from one track to the next, but it is doable.
Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
TorontoRock [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 06, 2010 16:57 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Ah ok thx for the reply. It would have been nice but cest la vie
Marke [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2011 03:50 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Actually, I found the opposite is true. PD9 does not have the rotation feature, to my disappointment, yet PD8 does. I have made a few projects with this feature in PD8 Ultra and now, trying to do it in PD9 Ultra64, the feature is missing and my workflow is crippled.

Why has this feature been removed? This and the "Duration" button when adding transitions were two of the most useful options. Removing them is a big step backwards.
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Marke,

Hmm, that's weird that you don't have the Rotation feature in your PD9.
In PD9 you can now Rotate on the main screen (grab the blue circle), or in PIP Designer by grabbing the same green dot (assuming you have clicked to add a Motion Path).
And the the Rotation feature (where you numerically enter the degrees), is still there at the bottom left of the PIP Designer screen.

But yes, we did lose the ability to input the Duration of Transitions. It was reported in beta testing. but... Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Marke [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2011 03:50 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hah, just found it (motion path rotation) and did it in both PD8 and PD9, sorry about that everyone! Thanks Cranston.

You're right, you have to type in the number of degrees and press enter and it changes it for the duration of the whole motion.

But, if you choose the next keyframe (assuming you have 3, for example) and click "Duplicate Next Keyframe" from the double diamond + icon (which would be the last keyframe point in your timeline) you can effectively change the rotation to your liking, but it's a bit awkward to use, if initially.

I make picture slideshows (using the automatic picture slideshow feature) and make the last picture rotate and zoom to fill the entire screen, then stay there a few seconds longer, all in 1 object. I'm glad that feature stayed. I despise losing features in upgrades - that makes them downgrades, no matter what number it's called.

Yet the Duration of Transitions is sorely missed, still.