Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Text Menu in PD6
Nora [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Georgetown, KY Joined: Mar 28, 2007 11:55 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,
Anyone know the secret to creating a text menu in PD6? All I want to do is us a pic for the background and use text to start the video...NOT a video thumbnail.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Nora
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nora,

All "secrets" to creating a text menu are revealed in this tutorial (click the Play Video button). It sounds like it will explain exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.cyberlink.com/english/products/powerdirector/tutorial/6/menudesigner.jsp?Source=overview

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

David

P.S. I apologize for the slow loading, we are working on fixing that.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jun 22. 2007 21:41

Nora [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks David for your speedy reply!

That's exactly how I tried it, but the text wouldn't become "linkable" or able to start the video. Maybe since I'm new at using it, I tried too many things and messed something up. I tried to find a way to "re-set", but couldn't...at least during that that project...it seemed to be "project" oriented. I don't know what I'm doing, but getting better everyday. It's these kinds of things that stump me that makes be better I suppose. I'm a learn by doing kind of gal. However, so far I've learned it hurts hitting your head against the wall.

Thanks so much for the help...now I know I'm on the right path...just gotta dig a little more. I've been thinking about getting PowerProducer for that reason, but the info page doesn't actually say what I want to hear: "This is the perfect tool for creating text-based menus". And, I'm assuming that I will have to first of all "produce" the video in order to author it using different menus than available in PD6. That's another step for me as I like PD6 because I can just create without that extra step. I guess that's ok...??

Have a wonderful weekend!
Nora
CLD [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 23, 2007 02:05 Messages: 925 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Nora,

Here are a few things to be sure of when creating your text based menu in PowerDirector 6:

- make sure that you add chapters to your video first. This can be done in the Chapter Room. These chapters are what becomes the clickable text.

- in the Create Disc section, select "Text Menu" from the style drop down. After selecting the style you can replace the background image, etc.

- in Menu Designer window, click on the Set objects effects tab to view a list of all of the items in your menu. It is easy to see which items should be a clickable text, and which is not.

I am sure you know most of what I just wrote, but I thought I would include incase you missed something .

Please let me know if you are still having problems...me or someone else will try and help you out the best we can.

FYI PowerProducer 4 does not have clickable menu text, that is why is does not say what you are looking for. Clickable text was a new feature in PowerDirector 6 and will be included in PowerProducer 5.

Good luck

David
Nora [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks David,
That's exactly what I needed to hear (read). It's all still vague at times, but the more I use PD, the easier it becomes. A lot of times I'm only guessing at what I call a work-around - as there are no obvious buttons to me for what I'm looking for at that moment. I so appreciate your willingness to help with clear, easy to understand instructions. Often I really am just missing something...guess that's the ADHD

Thanks too for staying on top of things with speedy replies!

Nora